This is My "Real" Blog: A Light in the Window


Angie's Blog!

Friday, September 22, 2006

A Light in the Window

Years back, Steven Curtis Chapman recorded a song. He's a Christian music artist who writes most of the songs he records. Great guy. Very talented. But I digress (that happens a lot).

Way back in the late 80s, his debut album included a song called, "Do They Know?" the overall theme of the song is irrelevant. However, there's a phrase in it that has always stuck with me.

"A vacant house comes alive
When somebody moves inside
A light in the window
Means someone's home."

For some reason, I love that line about the light in the window indicating that someone is home, which leads me to a quirky confession:

I love being at home in the afternoon and having to turn on a light.
And it has to be a table lamp or a floor lamp -- not the overhead light.


As I type, it's rainy and cloudy outside. It's only about 65 degrees, so it's kinda cool. And, my living room light is on. There's something heartwarming about that light being on -- even though most days, it wouldn't be on. . . .I said it was quirky. I can't explain it.

I don't know if it has something to do with all those blustery midwestern afternoons that I walked home from school Maybe I saw lights on in homes as I walked. I don't know if it's a security issue. I don't know. . .maybe I'm just weird. But, there's something very comforting to me, to be in a home where there's a light on in the middle of the afternoon.

And, don't get me started about driving down the road and seeing peoples' lights on in the afternoon. . . especially their living room windows, where the curtains are partially open, but not fully open. I just get this warm, cozy feeling--especially when the table lamp is sitting on a table in front of the living room window.

A couple of notes:

NO. . . I don't go looking in peoples' windows.

YES. . .I'm just as much of a freak over having Christmas tree lights on in the late afternoon. Especially when we do the "time change" thing, and it gets dark in the late afternoon.

Okay, there's your peek into the bizarre psyche of Angie. I warned you, it's a quirky thing about me. I will always offer you the truth--albeit odd at times. You have my word.

Well, that's about it for now. Weather update: the sun may be peeking out. Bummer.

. . .oh, and yes, I DID watch The Office last night. I'm sure inquiring minds wanted to know. Was I upset? A little. I realized that the Michael character is an idiot. Were the writers trying to make a point? Maybe.

I still like the show.

I was just (quietly) disappointed.

But then, that's me.

Photobucket

2 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Hello Angie....yes you may "link" me...thanks for dropping in. I love your blogs....this one was great. It made me think about how much it means to me to see a light on in the window - so true girlfriend. Great blogging! You and Mellly leave me to shame with your insightful blogs but hey! I live vicariously through you and Melly! Thanks for that! You two make me think so much about my own little world - its great. Your write so well Angie! Keep it coming. Enjoy your weekend! Your friend - Helen

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so there! I love that too, when I lived in Germany, as it got darker much earlier, I loved the dusk hours and the lights springing on in homes... and now when we walk in the evening, I love it when there are low lights on... lights that had to turned on for comfort's sake... the overhead light is reflexive to turn it on, who knows why it is on? but an end table light, you have to walk over, bend down and turn it on. As you say, on a cold blustery day, it means someone is home and is safe from the elements, and that someone is waiting in the harbour to welcome others in.

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home