This is My "Real" Blog: From One Generation to Another


Angie's Blog!

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

From One Generation to Another

I did something tonight that I've always wanted to do. It was fun. It made my husband say thank you." (which made it all the more worthwhile) I made a recipe that is a favorite of Mark's. And, although I always knew I could do it - I had been avoiding it for some crazy reason. And when it was all said and done, it was easy.

"Tomato Pineapple Relish" is a wonderful accompaniment to fish, pork roast, ham, and my favorite -- meatloaf. It was one of the first recipes that Mark's mom handed down to me after we got engaged. How silly is this?!?! We've been married 20 years -- we were engaged nearly 21 years ago -- and I'm just now attempting this recipe?!!?

Well, it won't be another 20 years. In fact, when these 3.5 jars are gone - I'll be making it again. It's that good.

And. . . because I love you? I'm going to share it with you.

Tomato Pineapple Relish

2 c. prepared tomatoes (see below)
1 1/2 c. crushed pineapple (drained)
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
2T vinegar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. allspice
1/4 t. cloves
6 cups sugar
2 pouches Certo (1 box)

**If using fresh tomatoes, scald, peel, and chop tomatoes. Bring quickly to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes. Measure out 2 cups and put into large saucepan.

Once tomatoes are ready add pineapple, sugar, and seasonings to the pan. Bring to a hard boil (bubbling continues even when you stir it). Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat - stir in Certo. Skim off any foam and ladle into hot, sterilized jars.

Makes 4 (scant) pints.

Invert jars onto tea towel - let stand 5 minutes. Revert to upright status. Wrap (insulate) with 2 - 3 kitchen towels. The "pop" means they've sealed!!


According to my mother-in-law, it should make eight (8) jelly jars. I made pint jars - and got nearly four jars. The fourth (incomplete) jar will be put in our refrigerator -- because it needs to be used first.

I'm grateful I tried the recipe. I'm glad it worked. I rejoiced at the aroma in my kitchen. Between the cloves, allspice, and cinnamon -- it's a delicious aroma.

I encourage you -- nay, I challenge you -- to make this. It is delectable. It is delicious. It is unlike anything else I've ever tasted. And, you have to trust me on this, this relish will make you want to make meatloaf.

I'm serious. You will crave meatloaf from this point on.

Would I lie to you?
Photobucket

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, this sounds delish... need to pass this onto Gladys. Speaking of cooking, rumor has it that my niece finally gets some pots and pans...

I'll be heading back down to teach her how to cook. :-D

3:34 PM  
Blogger Decomom said...

I like this recipe - and I think my husband will LOVE it. He already loves meatloaf, so he will enjoy this and maybe I'll get a "thank you" too! :)

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home