This is My "Real" Blog: Having a Hard Time Swallowing. . .


Angie's Blog!

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Having a Hard Time Swallowing. . .

. . just about everything. I have a sore throat. I have probably picked up something from one of my children. You gotta love that. Send them off to school. . . .they bring home knowledge and germs.

I'm sure it will pass, and all will be well, but still. Timing is everything.

Last night (and most of the day) was spent plotting, planning, and baking. My sugar cookies (no-roll) were allright. Sort of disappointing. The recipe I have for cranberry bread does *not* translate easily into muffins. What I ate for breakfast had the right taste, but consistency and texture left alot to be desired.

I *did* manage two batches of cookies that were successful. I made what my Grandma Knowles always called "Skillet Cookies." However, looking through a recipe book, I saw them referred to as, "No Bake Co-Co Date Cookies" or something like that.

They're made of dates, butter, sugar, rice krispies, and coconut. YUM. Truly, these were my favorites that Grandma made for us each year. She also made divinity. I'm debating on whether or not I'm that brave. If I am, I'll be trying it out tomorrow afternoon.

I also made a batch of Buckeyes. These are good -- I don't care what you do. I don't think you can mess them up, really. One of Edison's teachers is a diehard Ohio State fan, so his tin of cookies will be primarily Buckeyes.

Today, I've made a batch of Peppermint Bark (Martha Stewart's version) so far. It's very good. I keep telling myself that the mint is good for my throat. (Yeah, right!) What MS does that no one else seems to do is add a cup (or so) of Rice Krispies. It stretches out the bark, and gives each bite a little *crunch* that adds to the overall experience of the bark.

I've got the stuff to make dipped pretzels (rods & twists). I also have designs on making an almond crunch and coconut bonbons. However, I have NO powdered sugar in the house. (How did THAT happen?) So, nothing else is happening until I get to and from the store.

Happy Saturday, everyone! For those of you up North -- enjoying lots of winter weather -- we salute you. I wish we could trade. It was 65 degrees yesterday. I need winter. Really, I do. It might kill some of these germs my kids keep bringing home. . . . .
Photobucket

4 Comments:

Blogger Cooksalot said...

MMM HMMM, 65 huh? here it's a blazing 29 and snowing.
Hey when you make those pretzels do some white chocolate and cinnamon oil ones then ship them to me ok. I'll be watching the mail. LOL! Well at least someone is in the mood for holiday baking.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would trade you right about now. I hope you feel better soon, my son has the same thing. It's going around.

8:27 PM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

I've made dipped pretzels (milk and white chocolate) and chocolate marshmellows. Now I'm making brownies. :) I've never heard of putting rice krispies in the bark...I might try that.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Are you having a big baking fest up there? I can smell it from here....hmmmmmmm

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home