This is My "Real" Blog: Chicken Bones. . .all the way!


Angie's Blog!

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Chicken Bones. . .all the way!

. . .it will make sense later. I promise.

Today was one of those "marathon" days that make me question everything about my life. (Well, almost everything!)

The day began in the McDonald's Drive-Thru with Edison. He insisted that he was buying breakfast this morning--he is on the stage crew of the Children's musical. Today was a "last-minute-remind-the-kids-of-the-stuff-they-forgot" rehearsals. Our first performance on Wednesday night was great. Tomorrow nights' should be even better. These kids are psyched!

After rehearsal, we had to re-set the Worship Center stage for services tomorrow. Move orchestra stands, plug in lights, move the piano (I did NOT participate in this one), set up the drums, replace chairs, replace flowers, straighten up audience chairs. You get the picture.

We got home around 12:45 p.m. Fixed a quick lunch for Edison (really quick) and tried (unsuccessfully) to get the princess to take a nap. She "rested" on my chest, but never slept. I, on the other hand, dozed a time or two. But Caroline? Nope.

2:00 p.m. - baby shower for a friend. So, at 1:45 p.m., I'm getting dressed up for the shower, dressing Caroline to go along (she likes parties) and wrapping my gift. No, I hadn't wrapped it yet. Don't chide me. It only makes it worse.

3:15 p.m. - leave shower for DSAG Christmas party (sort of ) across town. Caroline and I traveled by van; Mark and Edison by Honda. We actually met up with them -- and followed them to the church. Party was nice. Caroline is pretty much terrified of Santa Claus. Go figure. She agreed to sit on his lap, but kept a vice grip on my shoulders. Yes, I *am* in Caroline's Santa picture this year!!

Partied with the DSAG families until 6 p.m. Left - drove through Wendy's with the kids. Ate supper when we got home (slimy, undercooked fries), laughed, sang songs, and gave Caroline a bath after supper. Sometime in there, Mark arrived home. He actually put Caroline to bed. But only after we sang her new favorite song, "Chicken Bones." I swear to you, this is what it sounds like she's asking for....













. . . it's Jingle Bells.

I laugh. A lot.

We sang Chicken Bones uh. . .er, Jingle Bells, Rudolph, and We Wish You a Merry Christmas. Oh, did I mention that she has re-written that song, too? It now goes:

We wish you a merry Christmas!
We wish you a merry Christmas!
We wish you a merry Christmas!
And a Happy New HAIR!

Of course, because we laugh, she will never change it from "hair" to "year!"

After she fell into bed (literally) we never heard another sound. She partied until she dropped. Yes sir, that's my baby!

I worked on stuff for church tomorrow morning. I could have gone back into the office, but I was already in pj pants, and although people *do* wear them in public I wasn't going to risk seeing anyone. (There was a Sunday School Christmas party going on near the offices. I stayed home.)

While working, I caught up on blogs. You really do need to go to Beth's blog and read about Jenni's birthday. What an amazing family. They make me laugh. They make me cry. They make me rejoice at the blessing I have received in a kid like Caroline. What a trip. Not every day is a ride on Space Mountain. . .some day's it's Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. But, it's always joyful. . . why, it's the happiest place on earth!

Tomorrow is the first of our pastor's last four (4) weeks with us. He is retiring at the end of the year. I can't believe it's coming to a close so quickly. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with him the past 13 years. Now, for those of you who know me well. . . or know him. . .you know that when I say "thoroughly" I mean I've enjoyed every bit of it -- the good and the bad -- the hilarious and the heinous -- the good times and the groaners. He has helped me become the believer I am today--and has certainly helped shape me into the worship leader I have become. . . .not that I've attained anything to boast about. He has helped me see where I fit in the Kingdom. I am better because of this. My family is better (I hope) because of this. And, I pray daily that our church is better because of this.

Anyway, the official countdown has begun. When the year ends, so does his over 40 years in ministry. Wow. The next couple of Sundays could get emotional. . . .and since I'm that "wimpy" worship leader who crumbles when things get emotional, I'm going to sign off, and try to get a little more sleep than I usually do on a Saturday evening. Our final performance is tomorrow night--and I doubt I'll be squeezing in a nap tomorrow afternoon.

I love my job. Really, I do.

Happy Sunday!!
Photobucket

5 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

i dont have many words because i am exhausted, some reason this has been an emotional birthday i mean really emotional, no cracks... more than my usual teary self. Youtube wasnt working before but do try to see the video, geez i love my kid... all fo them, and then i love you and your kids, and i think that is the really cool thing about love, it expands and fills all the cracks... anyway i am writing now (katherine jenni and i are baking about 50 emergency desserts for the christmas church supper tomorrow) i slipped onto the computer to tell you that i knowe yoeu must be exhausted also, i am praying for yoeu, thanking God for you in my life, laughing with joy over my darling grand niece (I feel like a grand Aunt tonight) i love all that you share about her, and yoeu and the crafts, and the rhythm of your family... wow i sure came up with a bunch of words.... later gator

12:30 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Gosh! It certainly is that busy time of year...world wide!! I wish you well as you journey on these last couple of weeks and look forward to reading more. Take care dear friend.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Count me in on the "New Hair" part!!

Hope the kids program goes well!!

5:02 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Keep it flying level, kid. You're doing well.

And I second Doug's comment!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

I love the "Chicken Bones" story and song. You have a magic way of telling a story that makes it so sweet yet sooooo funny.

I hope you're getting some rest today after your hectic weekend.
Love,
Joni

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home