This is My "Real" Blog: Like Selling Ice to Eskimos


Angie's Blog!

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Like Selling Ice to Eskimos

Edison has an assignment for History Class due on Friday. There were two options:

1) Design & produce a brochure
2) Film a 30-second TV commercial

The subject matter is advertising or promoting an invention developed from the time period of 1400 to 1900. (Industrial Revolution, anyone?) So, he chose to do a brochure -- after much pleading and prodding from his parents. He was allowed to choose his own invention. We suggested a couple. . .he went with the guillotine. I'm just going to give you some of the highlights of his brochure:

The Guillotine

*Faster then the noose! (needs editing, by the way)
*Less pollution than being burned at the stake!
*Easier clean up than drawing and quartering!

Quotes from satisfied consumers:

“Now the kids down the street can’t make any more noise!” Pierre LaRouse
“Using it was a piece of cake!” Marie Antoinette
“Ouch!” Anonymous (My contribution to the project)

Features

*Made from strong maple wood!
*18 feet tall!
*Rope releases the blade so you don’t have to!
*Your choice of painted wood in red, midnight blue, green, or plain wood!
*Handy basket to hold the decapitated head


There will be pictures to round out the brochure, but I think you get the idea. I love this kid!!



More news on the dancing front. . .
I spoke with a family friend this evening, who is a certified dance instructor. She is also a devout follower of Christ (i.e., no vulgar music or dance moves in their studio) and I think we're going to pursue dance classes with her. She assures me that Caroline will receive ballet & jazz instruction (no tap shoes). She said that she can attend classes in May, go to dance camp in the summer, and enroll in weekly classes in the Fall. We are very excited.

Our church is hosting a dance recital by her students in a couple of weeks. We're going to take Caroline -- to get her excited about dancing. Really, that won't be a problem. But, for us, it takes the pressure off of getting her dance clothes tomorrow, and getting her registered by Thursday night.

And, most of all. . . it will put Caroline in a REGULAR dance class. This will not be adapted for her disability. She will be in a 3 & 4 year old class. There may be kids she knows from Mother's Day Out -- and eventually her SCHOOL in these classes. And, for us, the exciting part is that she'll be working her typically-developing peers, and she'll be getting the strength training and self-esteem boost that we so desperately want her to have. . . .not that her self-esteem needs any real help right now. But, you know what I mean!

So, there you have it -- a bonus post. I really need to get back to my room, and start working on the 'other' curtain. I know it's 11 p.m. This is when I do my best work. : )
Photobucket

8 Comments:

Blogger Yummers! said...

I love the brochure item. We're watching the 2nd season of The Tudors and that fits right in.

Can't wait to see Caroline in dance class... photos I mean. A really good additional activity for her that's fun. She will feel like a fair princess twirling and leaping.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny...Did he have pictures? jk..
Can't wait for the pictures of Caroline too.

7:35 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

I am crying... this is what auntie beth wanted... and she had been trying to say to herself, whatever you provide God... half-heartedly... did you show our ballerina the wiggles video?...
and the brochure needs ot be scrapped... it does....

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL@ at the brochure... sign me up for one!

:-D)

Glad Caroline is taking dance lessons. I wanted to take them when I was young, but it was forbidden (my parents' tremendous dislike for recitals). I really think I wouldn't be as clumsy as I am now had I taken lessons.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I'm thinking Jason's up to something;. If doing whatever he does means that he doesn't remember that he posted twice before IN THE SAME MINUTE, I don't want any. Maybe it DOES make you feel one with everything. There's still that disconnect from reality that's going on.

By the way, Angie, good post. I like the Christian dance idea.

10:48 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

oh please i hope jason's appearance does not mean i will be going back to trying to type in nonsensical letters just to display my opinion

11:59 AM  
Blogger Heather J. said...

The brochere is so funny, so witty...he must take after his mama.
Please show us the finished project.

How exciting for Caroline. Music and dance always bring out the best!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

LOL...great news on both fronts...the outgoing Edison and incoming ballerina! Katie's dance class would warm up to Wiggles...she's gonna love it! Have a great weekend Angie.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home