This is My "Real" Blog: Watch and Listen. . .and learn


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Watch and Listen. . .and learn

Sounds like good advice, no?

First of all, I have to send a heartfelt and HUGE thanks to my buddy, Heather, for pointing me in the direction of finetune. To the right, you can see a music player. On this, I have programmed (very easily) 45 of my favorite songs. . . which reminds me that I want to do a post about my favorite songs, sometime. But I'll do that another day.

Anyway, you will see that I am a sucker for the 70s. It's when music meant the most to me (or so it seemed). Music means way more to me today than it did in 1974, but at the time (4th grade) it seemed so much more monumental.

And no, there are NO Christian songs on my playlist. Call it a guilty pleasure. Call it a sign of weakness. Call it me....being authentic. When I want to kick back and listen to music that feeds the creative side of my soul, this is where I go.

Steely Dan. . . Boz Scaggs. . . the Eagles. . . Elton John. . . Carly Simon. . . America. . .Billy Joel. . . the Doobie Brothers. . .Michael McDonald. . . the list could go on and on. But, I was limited to 45 selections. As I type, I have my blog open in another window, and "Deacon Blues" by Steely Dan is playing. This is, by far, one of my favorite all-time songs.

I had to hold Caroline while Boz Scaggs crooned out "Heart of Mine." Wow, that one took me back. (I didn't remember the melody on the verse, but I crooned along anyway). Now, I'm hearing Kevin Cronin sing, "I Can't Fight this Feeling" (REO Speedwagon). Totally a step back in time. Thanks, Heather!!!

The "Watch and Learn" part comes from my sewing experience this afternoon. I believe there's ad old expression, "Measure Twice, Cut Once." Well, I should have listened to that sage advice. Because I didn't, I am re-sewing true 5/8" seams.

Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I had the (false) notion (so to speak - it's a sewing term) that aligning the fabric with the right edge of a standard presser foot would give you a 5/8"seam. WRONG.

Now that I have my 5/8" guide mark clearly pointed out, I can accurately sew this quilt. It's what's called a "Rag Quilt," and it has been in the process for at least 4 years. I began it well before Caroline came along. My problem will come when I finish it, and have to decide whether to give it away, or keep it. I suspect that I'll give it away - and make another. We'll see.

Example of a Rag Quilt:



Well, that's it. I'm sewing and ripping. . . and hopefully, this will be the last of the roadblocks on this little quilt.
Oh. . .and the final song for this blog entry. . ."Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel. This one's for you, Mark. . .he played it in Show Band in high school.
Photobucket

11 Comments:

Blogger That Chick Over There said...

That is really pretty!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Love the quilt and really love your Caroline stories. Very much "aahh" entries.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

This is your geek brother-in-law - the old one.

To get the fineplay widget to work, I had to stop pop-up blocking from your site, re-load the page, and click to start the flash (I have FlashBlock enabled).

But now I'm hearing Steely Dan playing Josie. Cool stuff!

Thanks for a nifty surfing soundtrack.

9:05 PM  
Blogger *Heather said...

Too funny on the finetune selections! Mine aren't all christian but it guess it was the mood I was in that night. I listen to a good mix as well and you will find a few different ones on there mixed in! Glad you liked it!:) And that quilt is GORGEOUS!!!!!!! ;)Have a great week!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome post, Angie!! Had to make my own finetune too so I wasted about an hour doing that. And mine ain't got nothing but old 70s/80s songs (from my sinnin' days) that I'm hoping will get me rockin' in Photoshop.

Quilt? Gorgeous. I absolutely love it.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Cooksalot said...

Don't you just love finetune. My nephew got me started on that too.
I love the quilt. I made one years ago from old jeans that the kids had trashed.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

You mover and groover! Hey that quilt looks pretty good....little more sewing and a little less ripping. You poor thing. The show band in high school....now that wasn't yesterday...WTG Mark!

2:10 AM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

I really love the quilt... colors are great together. I can't find my 'ripper'... it was in such use for a while. I need to buy them by the gross.

I'll listen to your music after Boyd gets up so I don't blast him awake. I've been getting up around 5:30 the last few mornings... wide awake. Then by 9:00 AM I need a nap.

Joni

7:35 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

okay so you have your finger on the pulse of the latest trends... i have finetune and love it... hey why dont you give my new page... a plug over here... we now have a message for caroline posted

4:54 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

ahhhhh, you could send that quilt to canada... uhhh, the town nearest the US border.... not the town with only one Timmy's...

5:57 PM  
Blogger Nan said...

Your quilt is beautiful, I made a couple of these for Katrina survivors and never took a picture of them, I am saving old jeans to make a new one for my grandson, my 2 sons still have theirs and use the every day and I made them over 10 years ago!

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home