This is My "Real" Blog: I'm Just a Girl. . . .


Angie's Blog!

Friday, November 09, 2007

I'm Just a Girl. . . .

This could be a very deceptive title for my post today. You might think you know where I'm going. . . but remember whose blog you're reading. It's almost a guarantee that you have no clue where I'm taking you, because I'm still working out the details.

One possible ending to that title would be from one of my all-time favorite movies. I love the movie "Notting Hill" with Hugh Grant & Julia Roberts. It also stars Emma Chambers, from "Vicar of Dibley" fame. (If you've never seen the Vicar of Dibley, you've really missed something spectacular)

Anyway, toward the end of the movie. . .before we get to hear Elvis Costello sing, "She" which still makes me cry even though I've seen the movie upteen thousand times. . . .(big digression there) you hear the line to which I'm referring.

Toward the end of the movie, Anna Scott (Julia Roberts) brings a painting to William Thacker's (Hugh Grant) bookstore. She is trying to recapture their romance that has had its share of ups and downs. She is turned away by Mr. Thacker -- who has fallen in love with her, and resigned himself to life without her.

Another aside: The scene where the seasons change to the tune of "Ain't No Sunshine" is one of the best scenes ever. I'm telling you, this movie is worth renting if you haven't seen it yet.

Back from the abyss again. . . .the line she delivers with such grace is this one: "After all... I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her."

It doesn't seem that impressive here, I realize, but it's pretty monumental in the scope of the movie.

Sooooooooo, all that to say that there are a couple of ways I could finish the line I began with my title. The above essay is one; here's the other:

I'm just a girl who can't say "no!"

If you notice that I've not been visible lately, it's because I have this inability to say "no" to projects. Actually, it's not as bad as it sounds. Here's the scoop:

I have assumed the role of fundraising coordinator for DSAG (button on right). Part of this role meant establishing a fundraising calendar for the group. This hasn't been done on a regular basis for a long, long time. And, although I remember most stuff, this takes me waaaaaay back to my early working days at Wheaton College in the Development Department.

Anywhoo. . . . one of the new steps in DSAG's fundraising plan for 2007 included a Christmas card that would be sent out to our entire mailing list. Currently that list stands at around 600. My (initial) plan was that these cards would be printed and imprinted with our name, so that no one had to fill out Christmas Cards. However, a new plan developed.

One of our young men in the group did a beautiful holiday picture. That is our 2007 DSAG Christmas card. But we decided that it would be really cool if we printed a couple thousand of the cards, and made them available to the general public.

NOTE: I can arrange for you to purchase these beautiful cards, if you're interested. I'll try to get one scanned, so that you can see for yourself. It's beautiful---and all the proceeds benefit the group. Sorry, slight Sales-Digression there. . .

Anyway, because we decided to do a mass print job, my idea of having the group's name imprinted on the interior of the card was nixed.

That's right. . . .think about it. . . you're getting warmer. . . .Ta-Dah!

I'm signing 600 cards by hand.

It's not bad, really. The only real problem is that I don't have consistently good handwriting. But, I try. So, last night, while watching CSI/Without A Trace (it was a crossover show--really good!) I addressed and folded cards. Then, I stuffed them. Edison plans to help with the stuffing process. I think he was disappointed that I got the first 125 done without his help.

Tip o'the iceberg, my boy. . . tip o'the iceberg.

So, if you're not doing anything, and have a wrist and hand that can take it, you are welcome to join me in writing, "Down Syndrome Awareness Group of East Tennessee" about 450 more times!

Holly Hippodays!!

OH, and I nearly forgot. . . .I was cruising through Hobby Lobby today. I swear, this could very easily become my favorite store of all time. Anyway, as we walked through the Christmas area, Caroline pointed out everything she recognized.

Santa Claus
Baby Jesus
Christmas Tree
Lights
Stars
Angels
And as she saw each one (repeatedly) she would say, "Oooh, Santa Claus. . . ooh, Baby Jesus. . . Ooh, Christmas Tree. . . .Ooooooh!"

Oh yeah, this is gonna be a kickin' Christmas for our family. I hope I'm ready for all of this!!
Photobucket

8 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

My sympathies for the kazillion cards to sign by hand. Maybe next time, you could have the printer do two interiors?

(Yeah, I'm gonna get kicks for Christmas. One way or another . . .)

Chin up. You can get through it.

9:01 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i love that movie, and quite often say around here "I'm just a girl"...and everyone knows what i am talking about .. they shake their heads and groan b/c I am aboudt to say a mushy thing... oh yeah I own the movie i love it so much... the seasons changing scene... I adore... and the song "she" I have used time and again for my frequent DVD slideshows... i love the end of that movie when they are in the aprk... and the beginning of the movie with the photo sequence of her....and i love the dinner party scene with the brownies... this was fun, angie we should get together and do this more often

9:15 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

and i would love to be with your caroline this christmas!

9:16 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

and i need many more photos for what i am doing... please

9:17 PM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

I love the movie 'Notting hill'... actually Boyd really like it too.

I can't believe your card project... that is major work!! And right before Thanksgiving. Do you have Thanksgiving at your house?? Or do you travel to a relatives? We're going to AZ and I thought, "Hey... this will be easy!" Hardly! I'm making the Thanksgiving napkins, making lounging pants for arond Wendy's house, making us each a laundry bag for our suitcases, making a skirt for the warm weather, and the list goes on. Easier to stay at home, but I'm anxious to see my new grand dogs and daughter, too.

Sounds like sweet Caroline is making lots of connections and doing a lot of talking.
Enjoy it all!
Joni

1:07 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Despite being an Englishwoman, and even knowing who Emma Chambers is, I haven't seen Notting Hill. Aren't I a silly? (I haven't seen ET either, so it's a recurring theme!) You make it sound as though I would like it. And I know it's a bit late now, but I suggest you order a RUBBER STAMP for next year! One of those self-inking ones. Or form a committee. Your poor wrist! Happy signing! xx

5:44 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Rock on Christmas! Go Princess!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

ps. meant to say...I just LOVE that film and LOVE that line...I knew what you were on about right from the beginning!

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home