This is My "Real" Blog: Angie's Top Five List


Angie's Blog!

Monday, December 17, 2007

Angie's Top Five List

Tonight's category -- from our home offices in Wahoo Nebraska. . . (vague Letterman reference). . .Top Five Reasons You Wish You Taught the Aubrey Kids. . .

Reason #5 - Buckeyes
Reason #4 - Martha Stewart's Peppermint Bark
Reason #3 - Grandma Knowles' Skillet Cookies
Reason #2 - Dark Chocolate Coconut BonBons
and
Reason #1 - Buttery Almond Crunch

Yes, these are the five (5) types of goodies that each of Caroline & Edison's teachers are receiving this year. I just finished packing nine (9), that's right I said NINE tins for Caroline's teachers.
Sorry, can't resist a little quote (misquoted, of course) from Ferris Bueller's Day Off . . .
NINE tins? I don't recall NINE tins?
NINE tins. That's right. . .NINE tins.
Two schools. . . .gotta count bus driver & assistant, speech therapist, etc. So, I made ten tins to send with her to school tomorrow -- and to Mother's Day Out on Wednesday morning.

I still have to make three tins for Edison (I'm out of tins, by the way) and in order to do that I will have to make another batch of Buckeyes. Someone has been "grazing" (his words) on the top layer of the Buckeye box in the refrigerator in the garage. He blames me for leaving this stuff "laying around" the house. Seems to me, there are carrots and celery laying around, too, but you don't see them disappearing like crazy, now, do you?

Here is some evidence as to why the list was created. I also added pictures to yesterday's post about my flowers. They're even prettier today. Started filling out. So lovely.

Oh, and I just had to post this last picture. For some reason, I am all about trees this year. Christmas trees, to be precise. I made the button trees. I have trees all over my house. And, then I found this little gem. I fell in love with it the minute I saw it.
And yes, Mary (mother-in-law) I found it at Ivy's. You probably already guessed that, didn't you? If you ever make your way to lovely Seymour, TN, there is this little shop inside our pharmacy that has the most phenomenal gift and collectibles. (And they spell it correctly) They carry a limited line of Yankee Candles (yum!) and all sorts of treasures. Whenever I need to find a unique birthday gift for someone, I almost always find it at Ivy's. They've opened a new home dec store about four doors down from the store inside the pharmacy. I haven't been in there, yet. Mark is (undoubtedly) afraid of my first visit. . .there's lots of homespun fabrics, and delicious shelves, wall sconces, and picture frames. He's right to be afraid.
Oh well. . .it's getting late. You can tell I'm still under the weather. When 10:30 is late to me, you know something's up.

My gift to you. . . the recipe for Reason #1. This stuff is amazing. If you like Almond Roca candy, you will be in heaven with this.

Buttery Almond Crunch

1 T butter (soft)
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1 T light corn syrup
1 c. sliced almonds

Line an 8 inch square pan with foil. Butter the foil with 1/2 T of butter. (I just spray PAM on it). Spread the other 1/2 T of butter around the edges of a heavy saucepan.

In that saucepan, bring the 1/2 c. butter, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil & stir until the color turns a golden brown** (approximately 3 minutes)

Stir in the almonds and quickly pour them into the prepared pan. Refrigerate until firm. Invert pan, and remove foil. Break into pieces.

**This "golden brown" part is crucial. The very first batch only got to a taupe-ish tan, and the candy is still good. But, it's not the way it should be. The three batches I made tonight got to that golden brown stage, and they are absolutely delicious.

Enjoy!!
Photobucket

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie-I love the little tree! we were in Ivy's only one time when we were in TN. It was too few times and way too short!

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gross unfairness! There oughta be a law - no teasing allowed! Why, the very idea - parading the idea of those select confections in public - with no hope, or little hope at best, of sampling (for verification purposes) the wares. It is suggested that fairness, in the end, must rule. It is believed to be unnecessary to detail the procedures appropriate to the completion of the fairness doctrine in this instance.

Do you have my address?

12:05 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i love almond roca so i will be trying this... oh i need prayer, my head is awhirl and i think my body is afraid so it wants to sit and sit... i have to go into hannah's school and build two more pig houses with the french class today.... thinking of you, keep getting over the weather

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Yum, thanks for the recipe. I am going to try it.
You have been really busy, those teachers are sure going to like their gift.
The next time we go to Nashville we'll have to make a detour to check out your little shop, it sounds like something I would love.

9:02 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

what are coconut bonbons, and do yoeu know of a cookie recipe with sesame seeds and coconut... had one long time ago from a southern newspaper and now cant find it, but wow was it good

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE buckeyes...They are a little time consuming to make, but so worth it!

Hope you are feeling better. We have a place that sounds like Ivy's, it is the house of the crafty mouse. I always find copious amounts of things to bring home!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

You are getting a bit crafty like our dear Joni! Love the trees! At the pressies for the teachers are wonderful. Great job Mum!

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home