This is My "Real" Blog: Random


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Random

That is the one word that will describe this blog entry to a t. . .

First, some random shots from the weekend. . . .We celebrated my nephew's birthday last night. He turned 14. The part about that that mortifies me the most? He was 7 months old when Edison was born. That's right. . .in 7 months, I will have a 14-year old in the house. And from what I remember when I was 14. . . it will be a disaster.

Oh well. . .that's still 7 months off, and who's to say the disaster hasn't already arrived, eh?

This is Andrew. He's a funny kid. Both of my nephews have a fun (cynical, sarcastic) sense of humor. As I often say about myself, I don't know where it comes from. . . DAD. But, he's the birthday boy, so it's all about him. We even (nearly) got a smile out of him.


Caroline is fixated with her baby cousin, Carson. In fact, although we were celebrating Andrew's birthday, you'd have thought the entire gathering was about Baby Carson -- because that's where Caroline's attention was focused. Of course, she wanted to hold, feed, pat, pick at, and otherwise annoy the heck out of Baby Carson. I call it "loving on him" but no matter what you call it, she was bound and determined to get her paws all over him. See what I mean?

But, ironically, Big Brother was the one who got the honors of holding and feeding him. I think he probably enjoys the most because after four years (and then some) of Caroline. . .and Kylie 'round these parts. . .he's enjoying having (another) boy cousin--even if he *is* only 6 weeks old!! (I also suspect that he's enjoying holding and feeding Carson because he's gotten so used to younger kids - babies - in the past couple of years) Caroline's early years were complicated, so he didn't get to feed her like I think he wanted to. He really enjoys it now. I just think of it as another amazing part of his sensitive spirit that she has brought out in him.

See? I don't lie about these things....!

Finally, I leave you with a picture of Caroline at our luncheon the other day. The Buttercup Tea Room is a neat little place for a light lunch, and then lots of fun shopping. I didn't buy anything per se, but I came home with lots of fun ideas for things that I can make a lot cheaper than they were selling them for. (Go figure!)

She had a Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich, fruit, and a few chips. She's becoming quite the young lady. She's also becoming quite the little "parrot." It's amazing the phrases that come rolling off her tongue the very minute she hears me say something and can repeat it.

Yes, that *does* make me more careful about what I say . . . especially in front of her!

I'm off to get some more "work" done this afternoon. I have begun embroidering a few new wall hangings for my living room. My goal? To get them done before the family arrives for C's birthday. (two weeks) I just might be able to pull this off. . . it's simple embroidery (backstitch) and the framing is cheap and easy. So, if I can get them done, I'll have a "Four Season" sampler set hanging in the living room in the next week or so. I have the Fall Sampler nearly done. Winter and Summer will be the hardest -- lots of little details on those.

I was thinking about my word for the year. . .simplify . . . (and YES, this *is* where the post begins to really get random, sorry) and the fact that I have simplified my life in some ways, but in others not so much. I tried to think of certain hobbies or craft projects that I could release, so as to simplify my life. I haven't been able to do too much in that realm. Each project (craft type) has its place, and therefore cannot be given up. See?

Crocheting -- baby blankets for friends with new babies

Embroidery/Cross-stitching -- projects around my house

Scrapbooking -- I think that's obvious, isn't it?

Quilting -- it's my secret passion. I just don't have enough skills

And there are a host of others. . . .but I think at the base of each one is the desire to give gifts to people that are more than just "things" purchased for them at Target or Babies 'r Us. There's a measure of love that is put into every gift that I make -- whether it's a scrapbook page, baby afghan, throw quilt, or tea towel. And the thought of giving those things up -- for the sake of time, or simplifying my life just breaks my heart.

So, at least for now, those hobbies aren't going anywhere. I am, however, going to do away with the notion of home canning, reupholstering furniture, or taking up calligraphy. I figure a girl's got to sleep sometime.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

Posted by Picasa
Photobucket

9 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

that picture of her at the tea room is priceless... i love yoeu you two better take me

3:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Have you ever been to the Applecake Tea Room in Farragut? SOOOO good!!!

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep telling myself I'm going to learn how to quilt. I know how to embroidery and cross stitch (even know how to knit and crochet, tho not very well!).... I think I must try and find a quilting group locally or something like that, to - you know - make myself actually get.on.with.it.

Caroline looks so adorable with the baby!!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

tea rooms are fun places to go...there's a phrase nobody would expect me to say, huh? lol. it's amazing how fast kids pick up the things you do/say. javen's already started responding to questions with the "pfbt" instead of "no", and now that i think about it i realize that i do that a lot more than i notice. LOVELY!

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie pie.
My youngest is 14...I personally would take a 14 year old boy over a 14 year old girl any day. Maybe it's because my girls are too much like me.
I want to do everything too. There's just not enough hours in the day.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Random works for me...another great entry

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The tea room pic is just adorable!!!!

I understand the word simplify. I'm trying that. it's just not working real well with my mojo right now. But I'll keep trying.

11:25 PM  
Blogger Heather J. said...

Simplify.
I need too.

Caroline is simply precious. What a little lady.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Great post...

Who knows where I will be when you guys are up here. Just give a shout!

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home