This is My "Real" Blog: Trying Not to Disappoint. . . .(Long Entry -- be warned!)


Angie's Blog!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Trying Not to Disappoint. . . .(Long Entry -- be warned!)

Over a dinner discussion at church tonight, I learned that the circle of people reading my blog is bigger than I thought. I also learned that I "provide a pick-me-up" for one particular friend, and that she was disapponted that I haven't blogged lately. (Hi, Julie!)

She's right, and I apologize. Because? I do the same thing. . . that list of names you see to the right? I go to these blogs three, sometimes four times each day for updates.

So, why do I not blog every day?

1) I'm not signed up for the 365-blog entried per year "challenge"
There is one. But I thought (seriously) "Nobody reads my blog enough to care whether or not I post every day." Ahem.

2) Sometimes I think "wordy" blog entries are boring. You want pictures.
Case in point: I've been asked for Mother's Day pictures and Birthday pictures. Steady yourselves. There are none.

3) I have nothing funny to say.
This worries me a lot. Because I think sometimes I get too "preachy" and you don't necessarily want that. (especially if you're looking for something to brighten your afternoon)

4) I'm busy.
That's really not a good excuse, though. [see confession above] If I were really busy, that wouldn't be happening.


SO. . . .what does this mean, looking at the Big Picture?

Well, I want to do better about blogging. I want to continue to hone my craft of writing. In fact, they're talking about us having blogs at work, and I love the idea of getting paid to blog. And I will try, to provide fun blog entries. . .and pictures. But, sometimes I'm gonna get preachy. I apologize in advance. If you notice, I don't get political. I have my reasons for avoiding politics.

Okay, you've made it this far. Are you ready to smile?

This afternoon, the middle school football team had to undergo sports physicals. There are two doctors here in town that provide low-cost physicals for our boys. TSSAA (state sports officials) changed the regulations for sports physicals and they're not just a weight/height/blood pressure check. They're sports physicals.

So. . . when Edison got in the van this afternoon, he had this "interesting" look on his face. We of course, started in the "How was your day?" conversation. I went for the "So, how was the physical?" conversation starter -- being the conscientious mom that I am.

One word: "THOROUGH."

The nervous laugh continued as he told me that he had to "drop trow" and be examined by the doctor. But the part that had us laughing out loud (Caroline and me) was that NONE of the boys knew this was coming.

So, each one left the exam room with a shocked, horrified expression on their faces. Some said, "You won't believe what just happened." or "WHY?!?" And my favorite response? "It gave me the hiccups." We laughed all the way home. Like I said, Caroline laughed too. She had no idea what we were laughing about -- but she was right in there with us.

Edison was the first one in line, so he had no advance warning. he tried to warn his friend who was next in line, but there wasn't time. I guess there were quite a few squeamish boys walking around the rest of the afternoon. And, I'm guessing their moms were laughing, too. Well. . . .if they told their moms.

The other incident happened tonight at church. I've been leading a Beth Moore study called, "Stepping Up" on the Psalms of Ascent (Psalm 120 - 134) It's been a good study so far. I'm behind on the homework. (When you spend time reading blogs, homework gets neglected!)

Tonight, Beth talked about "virtual" friendships and how women today allow these relationships to take the place of REAL friendships. I agree, to some extent.

BUT many of you reading this blog have never seen me in person. We've never "met" or "embraced" other than through posts, emails and such. (Although two of you live VERY CLOSE to me -- and I'm going to find you both!)

But she encouraged us to develop REAL friendships and DEEP relationships with people. I still consider my friends online to be good friends.

After that, she talked about loneliness. Many of us are lonely. We have isolated ourselves, when we really do NEED each other. We've all experienced it from time to time. Loneliness sucks.

Well, when the session was over, I encouraged the participants to encourage each other. I reminded them how much it means to someone to receive a note in the mail. And to reach out to someone because we need relationships.

Here's the "Only in Angie's World" part that made me laugh: I mentioned to them that next week is our last session. I then apologized for missing next week's session . . . .because (keep reading -- it really is funny) . . .





I'm going away by myself for a couple of days next week.





I felt so stupid. But, they found it as funny and ironic as I did. And they laughed. . .with me.

It's true. I am going away-- scrapbooking supplies in hand -- for two nights next week. There's no trouble in paradise--I just want some time to get caught up on the things I love to do--and I want to stay up late and sleep in, and stay in PJs all day. . .you know what I mean. So, I guess I can talk the talk. . .but I obviously cannot walk the talk!

Again, if that didn't make you laugh, I apologize. I'll try to do something really stupid tomorrow just so I can make you laugh. You really do mean that much to me.

Seriously, I want to thank you for reading my blog.

And if you've made it THIS far -- you deserve an award! I never dreamed that people would enjoy, much less care to read -- the stuff I had to say. I try to be proper. I try to be encouraging. And yes, I try to be funny.

I don't always hit the mark . . .sometimes I miss it by a mile. . .but I'm humbled and gratified that you're reading. . .and commenting.
Photobucket

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it to be very....odd...to say the least, when someone I know *in real life* says, "Oh, I was reading your blog the other day..." and I'm like, "You read my blog? How do you know about my blog?" And then that keeps happening. It's such a weird feeling to know that people you KNOW are reading your blog--and you don't know they are reading it, and they never, never comment. Somehow it's weirder that real-life people are reading my blog than people I don't know. ANYWAY--rambling! I love your blog. It sounds like you. ;-)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Once again, you're doing a good job of doing a good job.

Yes, I do show up daily (or semi-daily). I haven't found a great RSS reader.

And yes, I do look for something funny/good/interesting. I have not been disappointed. My eyes glaze over at some of the more "girly" things (are there male scrapbookers? Do they exist?). You still do good stuff. Consistently. I can recognize it even in the artsy-crafty stuff, even if I don't go gaga over it.

So enjoy your days off. Your horde of readers from around the globe will be waiting. Bothered at you, probably, for not blogging about how you're not blogging. But still waiting.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Jennilu said...

So, I just have to ask. Will there be a laptop accompanying you on your trip next week? Just wondering. It is a way to stay connected while totally alone. And yes, our world is getting smaller. Of course look at where we live. I think it would have been more astounding had we NOT known any of the same people. One day, my friend, we will meet face to face.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

dude, if i could get paid to blog i would be a millionaire. or at least a hundred-thousandaire at best. lucky you!!!

blogging took on a whole new level of importance for my when jonathan's mom started reading mine. i'm not a phone caller that much (unless i have a specific reason to call) and i'm pretty darn bad at regular emails. but blogging is something i almost can't live without. so it's how sh keeps up with us from south america. thank God for the wonders of internet that keep us all connected :-)

12:07 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I hear your point about making 'real' connections, but the main reason I started blogging (in 2005) was that I was so very isolated and lonely. I stood alone in the playground waiting for my kids. We were a little island at church. And blogging gave me the chance to be a 'real' person with my own interests, rather than someone no-one wanted to talk to because of my daughter. Even now, making a 'real life' friend isn't much of an option for me. I don't have friends who don't have children with special needs. None. If I meet people, somehow it always comes up, and they're history. Blogging probably saved me. xx

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, I look forward to drinking my coffee in the mornings and reading your blog! I don't have a blog and you have encouraged me to think about starting one of my own. Thanks for the laughs and the tears! Kerrie

10:49 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

steve there are male scrapbookers my husband is one of them but he would never call himself that he is a photoshop expert and he creates cards for me and the kids and he makes montages with photos...and then at some of the sites there are men who have discovered a ton of money to be made and they have started creating digital elements for people to use when scrapbooking

11:39 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

and for yoeu angie i guess i cant come along but i think i need some alone time also i will be quiet like a mouse

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love coming to your blog. I check it many times a day. Oh, to get paid to blog. I do sometimes (but don't tell my husband) he doesn't know.
Poor Edison, I knew exactly where that was going.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

I read the WHOLE blog. What a riot about Edison's exam. If I was that age, it would have scared me to death. Do they even need that exam at that age?? I'll have to ask Boyd. Whoops... he's not here... been out of town for 3 days. Took his dad to Madison for eye surgery.
Boy have I missed him!!!

That's interesting about the friendships. Right now in my life I enjoy spending my time with Boyd. I keep in touch with old friends but I'd rather be with Boyd or my adult daughters. Blogging fills in gaps as I've come to adore many of the people I've come to know and would travel any distance if they needed help, etc.
But, retirement years are different than the years raising kids, etc.
Joni

12:28 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

You rock Angie. I so love reading your blog.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto, ditto, ditto :-)

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home