This is My "Real" Blog: . . .and we're done!


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, July 03, 2008

. . .and we're done!

Wow.

That's all. Just. . .wow.

Today was awesome. I wasn't quite ready for what all God had in store for me today. But I did walk away with at least three (3) more songs for our worship band to learn. (Fair warning to those of you who READ this. . . we've got some work ahead of us). I also came away with some new, innovative ideas for ways to infuse our services with some fresh ideas. (Was that redundant?)

The first session this morning was led by a man named Ralph Draper. This man has been a bi-vocational pastor for 30-some years. He is currently preaching every Sunday, and the superintendent for his local school district. Seriously. . . the man is OUT there! His message hit me hard. He talked about how we are to live as Christians. . . and how we have GOT to stop forcing the school system to raise our children for us. (Whoa)

It was just excellent.

Then, Reggie Joiner, who helped found North Point Church in GA (with Andy Stanley) spoke. He talked about the all-too-familiar story of the prodigal son. His point was that we (the CHURCH--and its members) can be one of two players: We can be the loving Father, or we can be the complaining, critical older brother. Too many of our churches are "Older Brother" churches. His talk was awesome.

Lunch was fun. We met up with some old friends. Geoff & Lois are friends that Mark and I knew independent of each other. Lois and I went to church camp together (a LOOOOOOONG time ago), and Mark went to church with Geoff back at First Christian in Chicago. Mark played cello at their wedding 22 years ago, and they attended our wedding (nearly) 19 years ago. They have recently started the process to adopt two beautiful little girls. They are now foster parents for these girls' baby brother. So, in their mid- to late-forties, they are raising two toddlers and an infant. (And I thought *my* life was out of control!)

Following lunch, I went to two (2) workshops. The first one, I attended with my boss and his wife. We had fun. We laughed at the same things . . . because we know where our church stands with regard to the subject matter. The speaker is one of the authors of the book "The Simple Church," which our church is going to use as a model in the coming months. He was a great speaker -- very engaging. I took a few notes (forgot my notebook) and really enjoyed myself.

The 2nd session was a mis-calculated error by the convention crew. The room was full to over-flowing. . .and I wound up sitting on the floor. The presenters were from two of our larger churches in the country (Southland Christian Church in Lexington, KY and Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, KY) They were talking about creating MEMORABLE worship services for our people. I came away with lots of ideas.

But. I must repeat. I sat on the floor.

Dinner was fun. . . had it with the boss & his wife. Lots of laughs. He paid the bill. (It will most likely come from *my* budget!) But, we had a good time.

Tonight's session was good. Not the greatest ever. . . but it was good.

Two fun highlights from today included seeing and saying "See ya later!" to some friends from college. Their oldest son is going to be a freshman at Milligan this fall. Hopefully, this will bring them to our area (from Richmond, VA) from time to time.

The other was the prodigal phone. That's right. I left my cell phone at the convention center tonight. So we turned around, headed BACK to the convention center, and retrieved it from the Lost & Found.

Have I mentioned lately that I'm married to a good man?

So tomorrow. . . Aurelio's Pizza looms on the horizon. I cannot wait. Edison is looking forward to it. I hope he's open-minded. This is not Pizza Hut pizza. (Thank the Good Lord in Heaven!)

Well, it's bedtime. I'm sleepy.

More thoughts and pictures from the road tomorrow!
Photobucket

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Sounds like you had a good time. Glad we could be of assistance.

It was way too short, way too hurried. Still glad we did it.

Come back soon. And if I can help it, no more priest/rabbi/whale jokes.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Sounds like a great trip so far. Enjoy the rest of it, and we look forward to your visit when you return. He's growing!!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

And they're off! Chicago-bound, in the pouring drizzle, The weather will clear for them soon. But their absence here will continue.

'scuse me while I grab a Dora-branded tissue . . .

11:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Look forward to talking to you when you get back and hearing about all the ideas you gleaned! Hello to the Windy City...someday I'll get to go back for another visit :D



And if you smuggled a lil Chicago style cuisine back to K-town, I wouldn't complain!!! I'd happily assist with the consumption :D

2:30 PM  
Blogger Donna Cooper said...

I'm reading and excited. Glad God is moving and directing. Actually looking forward to leaning some new songs. So I'm in.

Your Mom and Dad came over for dinner Wed night. It was so nice visiting with them. You all are next : )

Have a fun 4th of July. Hope you find fireworks.

Donna

2:38 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

we are getting ready to leave on a weekend trip ourselves, kids are gone on their camping trip... looking forward to coming back and seeing all your photos and hearing your tales

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home