This is My "Real" Blog: #513 . . . and #501


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, October 19, 2008

#513 . . . and #501

It's not really a genetic thing. . .unless, of course, you're talking "jeans." Bear with me, this will make sense in the end. I hope.

We did survive the yard sale. We made approximately $325. That's not too shabby, when you consider the "crap-to-treasure" ratio. (Seriously) So, in November, we will have that additional amount to add to our 'thank' offering. I'm excited. I'm probably more excited about de-junking our lives, and having room in the garage. But, this is one of those blessings with a two-fold "whammy."

One thing that I will obviously need to remember, should we ever attempt another yard sale is this:

Take inventory of Edison's room when he brings items out.
Especially clothes.

You see, when Edison brought out all his old jeans (my request) to the yard sale, he neglected to tell me that he had no jeans left in his room. So, when it was time for Mark and Edison to go to the local Raceway last night, we told him to go put on some jeans and a couple long-sleeve shirts so that he'd be ready to go.

Cue Edison.

"I don't have any jeans, Mom. I put them all in the yard sale."

I'd love to say that Mark and I simply heaved a sigh. Yeah, in a "typical" family, heavy sighs would have been emitted. Not this house.

There was no yelling. But, there was a bit of stern talking. Followed by the directive that Edison would be wearing dress pants and a dress shirt to church today, rather than the traditional shorts he'd grown accustomed to wearing.

Side note: Our church, for the most part, has a "come as you are" atmosphere. In fact, our preacher wore jeans and a sports coat today to preach. So, dressing "up" for church isn't the issue. But, guess who got the pleasure of dressing up today. . . ?

So, after church today, we went out for a quick lunch. It wasn't nearly as quick as we would have liked. . . Pizza Hut. But someone else cooked. I didn't have to. Then we were off in search of jeans for Edison. Oh, and khaki pants, too. He informed us that he also had no khaki pants (school uniform) either.

Yeah, we're proud. And so blessed.

(No, actually, we are blessed. Sometimes it just feels good to get a little sarcastic)

We did happen to find two pairs of jeans (carpenter style) for $5 each. Edison wasn't as crazy about them. . .but guess who is the proud owner of those two pairs of jeans. I dared him to argue. He knew enough not to. We also found two pairs of khaki pants, and another pair of jeans that met with his approval. Such relief.

So, for now, Edison appears to be set up in the jeans department.

Guess what he's getting for Christmas?? Ha!

Actually, part of the issue is that by going to a private school, he only wears jeans on Friday. So, having jeans that fit isn't really a priority in our house . . . at least, not for Edison. He's good now. But, it was a bit "tense" earlier this weekend.

Communication. It's all about the communication.

While at WalMart today, I purchased material for Caroline's new curtain in her bedroom. I have an official "Get-this-done-before-family-comes-back-for-Thanksgiving" list, and making Caroline's curtain and comforter are on the top of that list.

And, in the spirit of full disclosure and accountability, here's the rest of my list. I'll keep you posted as things get checked off:

1) Caroline's valance
2) Caroline's comforter
3) Hang quilt rack & quilt in Caroline's room (see a theme here?)
4) Hang pictures in Edison's room
5) Hang pictures in our room (again, see a theme?)
6) Hang pictures in kids' bathroom
7) Finish four season samplers for living room
8) Frame and hang the aforementioned samplers
9) Make valances for french doors in living room
10) Make valances for sun room windows (including curtain for storm door)

This list does not include the Christmas gifts that have to be made prior to this visit. So, yeah, I'm going to be busy. And probably insane. But, with some of my other obligations behind me, I will finally have time to get some of them done.

So, that's it. It's not quite 9 p.m., and there's the traditional Sunday Night Marathon of Law & Order: Criminal Intent on the Bravo channel. (Vincent is waiting for me!) And, with all those quilts, curtains, etc. to be made. . . I've got to start sewing.

Have a lovely week!

Fall has finally arrived here -- so it's hot cider, popcorn, and soup-making time around here. I made beef stew last night. It turned out allright. There are some recipes that you can "hurry along" and I learned, to my dismay, that this particular recipe is NOT one of those recipes. It was still edible. . .which is all that mattered.

Stay warm!

Oh? The cryptic title? (Helen, you're gonna love this one. . . )

The #513 is for this post. This is my 513th post. And, for the four years I was in college, and the six years that my parents lived at Milligan beyond my college years, we had P.O. Box 513 at the Milligan College post office. I always say that it would be the "Lucky 3" numbers I would play, if I played the lotto.

And #501? Well, returning full-circle to the opening of this entry . . . Mark used to only wear Levi's 501 jeans. (button-fly, relaxed fit) Sadly, Levi's doesn't make them anymore. That's right. . .he's a zipper man now.

And on that happy note. . . . .I must be zipping off!
Photobucket

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you just love those teenage surprises? LOL!

You got a mighty long list...

9:05 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

OH NO! OH YES....what a blog. I laughed, I cried....I enjoyed. I was waiting for the explanation....Angie...you crack me up.

Thank you for cheering up my Monday morning.


Oh and I am very warm thank you - hehehe

9:45 PM  
Blogger Hilah said...

Well, I did notice that Edison looked mighty dressed up this morning ;-)

10:18 PM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

nice grand total for your yard sale! next time, ann and i will crash your party and get in on the big spending vibes!

i noticed edison was dressed up this morning, but i don't see him often enough to have realized that it wasn't his usual attire. only a male would sell all his pants without thinking about it...

10:23 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I can see the conversation, mostly non-verbal.

Edison: "Mom, you said all my old jeans, and none of them were brand new."

Angie: gives "the look".

Edison: (nothing left to say)


Glad it all turned out well. And yes, boys (of all ages) take some thunking to get it into their heads. Again, keep up the good work.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Donna Cooper said...

OH MY GOSH Angie....what a roller coaster ride! I've lived through the teen years, so I totally get it.
(I am hearing Lurch do his famous groan thing here).

I'm going to email you with an idea.
No obligation, just a thought...

check your email : )

Donna

12:41 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

this is the male version of emily... seriously... I love him more now after this story... and i was thinking about your word.. simplify" and how you sure 10 months into the year are keeping on track

12:18 PM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

That is the funniest story about Edison-no-pants! I hope you are scrapping that. Those are the moments to remember... especially for him when he grows up... and looks back.
Hugs,
Joni

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have often commented on how literal Aubrey guys yake things!!!

6:17 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Gotta say, I'm on Edison's side.
You said bring your jeans so he did.

ROCK ON EDDIE!!!!

(dude you messed up, now when your mom says do your homework, it's now all or nothing. "did you finish your chores?...well? now it's all or nothing. Stick with me kid and I'll show you how to get around these silly concepts that parents have. Maybe that's why they moved?)

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home