This is My "Real" Blog: Got Apples?


Angie's Blog!

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Got Apples?

One of the blessings of marrying a man who grew up in Upstate NY . . . the real upstate. . not Buffalo. . . is satisfying your need for good apples. Real apples.

In Mark's part of Upstate NY, they grow Macintosh apples. I love Macintosh apples if and only if they come from Chazy, NY. Macintosh apples that make their way to TN usually come from North Carolina. And, although I hold nothing against our neighbors to the east, they have no business growing Macintosh apples.

Macintosh apples that come over the mountain from NC tend to be small, grainy, and mushy. In a word: inedible.

So, you can imagine my utter bliss when my in-laws brought us a peck (or two) of good Macintosh apples from NY last week, when they were here. Not only did they bring apples, they left the apples that didn't get baked into a pie, apple crisp, and eaten raw.

I have glorious apples. (Get your mind out of the gutter)

However, one of the downsides of having a plethora of amazing apples? You have to do something with them before they turn on you. And, when you are like me, and don't know how to make pie crust (Thanks, Mom) you have to get a little creative.

Here's what I've done so far. . . there's more to come. Because, as I've already stated: I've got glorious apples....lots of them.

Apple Salsa (I know. . I was skeptical, too)

2 med. red apples
2 T. lime juice (about 1 1/2 limes)
1/2 c. chopped orange segments
1/2 c. finely chopped onion (I used red onion)
1/2 c. finely chopped green pepper
1 finely chopped jalapeno
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 T chopped fresh cilantro**
1 T apple cider vinegar
1/2. t. ground cumin
1 t. oil

Core, peel & dice apples into 1/4 inch pieces. Toss immediately in lime juice. Stir in remaining ingredients. Chill for 2 hours.

**I used dried cilantro (about 2 t.)

Serve with tortilla chips.


Apple Muffins - recipe found online

2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. white sugar
3 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. apple juice
1/3 c. oil*
1 egg
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 c. apples (peeled, cored, and finely diced)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin cups, or line with baking cups.

In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients. In large mixing bowl, mix together wet ingredients. Blend dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Stir just until moistened. Stir in apples.

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 18-22 minutes or until toothpick. . yadda, yadda, yadda.

Cool before removing from pan.

*Note: I added a little extra oil -- to make them moist. I also increased the cinnamon a bit. Lastly, I stirred in 1/2 c. chopped pecans and topped the muffins with 1 t. brown sugar and 1 t. chopped pecans.


They are very good. I tried one -- they've been out of the oven for about an hour. I assume that they'll be even better tomorrow morning.

Breakfast is gonna rock!
Photobucket

12 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

And apple crisp, and apple pie, and a few eating apples here in Ohio, too.

The salsa sounds neat!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah at SmallWorld said...

You know I am SO with you on the upstate NY apples. Here, for example.... http://smallworldathome.blogspot.com/2006/06/june-23-2006-fruit-snob.html

7:26 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

The apple muffins sound wonderful. I may have to try that recipe...although, we all know my husband won't eat them.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The muffins sound great. I don't doubt that the salsa was good. But, I just may have to make it myself to see. :)

7:52 AM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

don't let the crust stop you...there's always pillsbury!!! also, my mind wasn't in the gutter til you told me to get it out. it's all your fault! ;-)

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a killer apple-cranberry pie recipe. Just use a store-bought crust,... no biggie. (it's on my cooking blog)

Yankee apples are better. however, I do find that the Black Arkansas winesaps are great cooking apples for TN apples...

Just made a great waldorf salad with some honeycrisps I got at costco. See my cooking blog for that.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Jennilu said...

Your Apple Salsa recipe reminded me of a different type of Apple Salsa that I made last year for Kaylea's birthday party. I got the recipe from a Pampered Chef cookbook and it is Y-U-M-M-O! Here's the recipe, if you want to try it:

Apple Berry Salsa

2 med Apples, chopped
1 c. Strawberries, chopped
1 Kiwi, peeled and chopped
1 small Orange
2 Tb packed Brown Sugar
2 Tb Apple Jelly

Place chopped fruit in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, mix together the zest and juice from the orange, along with the brown sugar and apple jelly. Once combined pour sauce over fruit and mix, gently. Serve with cinnamon pita chips, cinnamon bagel chips, or cinnamon graham crackers.

12:32 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

okay so i cant even get into the gutter, what does that mean? and if it is filthy /rauchy, explain in a private email please... dont put it on my blog for the whoel world ot see how stupid i am... now to business at hand... jsut made an apple pie on thaksgiving with tenderflake ready made crust, (CA version of Pillsbury) FANTASTIC! and will be making apple salsa soon... to serve with homemade cinnamon tortilla chips...

12:59 PM  
Blogger Hilah said...

well, i get the glorious apples thing...but for once my mind did not go to the gutter until i saw your parenthetical note...that's probably the only time ever though...especially after taking a class with a certain professor we both know and love in which our first task was to come up with as many slang words for...well...you know...including nouns and action verbs...as possible.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I give you a crust recipe? Bobbie makes a mean pie. We too had apples, but they were amish...

9:12 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

thanks for the recipes! Here are a few for you if you're looking for some other ideas of what to do with those apples!

http://rubyslippersandapronstrings.blogspot.com/2006/12/favorite-ingredient-friday_15.html

http://kaffee-klatsch.blogspot.com/2006/08/five-ingredients-friday_18.html

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jewish-Apple-Cake-I/Detail.aspx

10:37 PM  
Blogger Jeannette said...

Could you fax me some of those goodies, please? lol And incidentally, I may be in NC but the only Macintosh in my house is my laptop. :-)

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home