This is My "Real" Blog: This Girl Really Gets It!


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, March 22, 2009

This Girl Really Gets It!

Not much to post about. I had intended on spending all sorts of time getting caught up on "house" stuff this weekend. . . .hanging samplers, etc. But, I stopped short at cleaning the house yesterday. . . and I really didn't get it ALL clean, because I failed to wash the sun room windows and the front storm door. Oh well, I may attempt that tomorrow. Fiddle-dee-dee. . .

I *did* however, manage a quick upload/trip to Walgreen's where they had a "Buy 25, Get 25" deal on pictures. I happened to read the coupon they sent me . . .and of course, it expired yesterday. . .so I went through and picked pictures as quickly as I could. When I went into the church last night -- to make sure stuff was ready for this morning, I stopped in, and picked up my pics.

. . .and if I'm honest, I've been so busy, i haven't looked at them yet. Busy? Me? Come on . . .

I did some baking for today. . .yesterday. We had lunch at Mom & Dad's house today, with another couple from church. Mom had asked me to make dessert. I started scouring out the pantry and freezer to see what I had. I decided on "Death by Chocolate" or, at least that is what *I* call it. My buddy Melany makes this quite often -- I need to compare notes with her, to see what hers is like. Mine was good. . .RICH, but good.

Basically you bake a pan of brownies (I used a box mix -- I'm just one of those kinda moms!) Then, I made two (2) boxes of cook & serve chocolate pudding. (I think you can use instant, but I was going to for the gusto here!). I had a large container of Cool Whip, and a bag of Heath "Bits O'Brickle." In my mind, I was set.

I cut the brownies into 1 inch pieces, and layered them in a tall bowl thusly:

Brownies - 1/2 of them
1/2 of the pudding
A generous "shake" of the Brickle Bits
1/2 of the Cool Whip

Then I repeated the layers -- and wound up with a very pretty concoction. (It tasted pretty awesome, too!)

I also made a Diet Dreamsicle Cake. It's even easier.

1 White Cake Mix
1 Can Diet Sunkist (which has caffeine - by the way)

Mix together - bake like you normally bake a 13x9 cake. After it cools, top with Fat-Free Cool Whip.

Since the other recipe is called "Death by Chocolate" and my dad is diabetic -- I didn't want the chocolate recipe to live out its reputation. Besides, he loves dreamsicles. So, he was happy.

Along with this craziness last night, I also decided to make homemade pizza. Partly because I'm trying to be a cheapskate -- and also because I had pizza sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, and I absolute LOVE deep-dish (homemade) pizza dough.

It was good. There's still plenty left -- this recipe made TWO jelly roll pans -- and I really could have divided out some more of the dough and made cheese/garlic bread. But, I opted for REALLY thick crusts. (It had some whole wheat flour in it, so I'm telling myself it was healthy!)

And, in the midst of this insanity, I thought I'd make some cherry turnovers. I know. . I know. . .but, I never got them made. I had gotten the puff pastry out of the freezer last night, and just let it sit in the fridge overnight. I made the turnovers this evening, when we got home from Mom's. That's even easier. Want that recipe???


Easy Cherry Turnovers

1 pkg. puff pastry
1 can cherry pie filling (or any flavor you choose)
1 c. powdered sugar
2 T water
1/8 t. almond extract

After thawing the puff pastry out, cut each sheet into 4 squares.
Drain the cherries from the pie filling. (I know this seems bizarre -- but when you put that can of cherry pie filling in a strainer, you will be SHOCKED at how much "liquid" is in there -- almost half the can is the thick liquid -- which is why homemade cherry pie is so much better than using a can, but I digress)

Divide the "strained" fruit among the eight turnovers. Brush the edges of each turnover with water, and seal by folding it into a triangle. Use a fork to crimp the edges of the turnovers.

Oh, in the meantime, your oven should have been heating to 400 degrees. (oops)

When the turnovers are folded, sealed, and crimped -- put them in a 400 degree oven for about 18 minutes. They will puff up and look like the beautiful turnovers you find in a bakery.

After they cool, mix together the powdered sugar, water, and almond extract. Drizzle this over the turnovers. Allow the icing to set -- or eat one now, and risk getting goo all over your face.

It's up to you. Man, they're good. I haven't had one yet tonight. . .I will do that after I hit the "publish" button. Okay, so I couldn't wait. I'm chewing on one right now. Really, really good.

Other than that, it's been a "quiet" weekend. (And the turnover is history. Wow.)

Today, at lunch, we had an enjoyable time. Our friends from church are just a few years older than Mark and me -- but they are grandparents of a little girl with Down syndrome--so they have a lot in common with my parents. Funny juxtapositional relationship.

Have I mentioned how much I love the word juxtaposition? Anyway. . .

We've done stuff with them before, and really enjoy spending time with them. They love both my kids -- they've got a phenomenal house out between Pigeon Forge and Townsend (Cades Cove) complete with a hot tub, Wii (including Rock Band), and pool table and media room. Yeah, they've got a great place for kids to visit! And the view? Absolutely stunning.

Anyway, we had an enjoyable time with them -- they watch and notice so many things about Caroline -- I assume -- because of their granddaughter. (Who, by the way. . is PRECIOUS!) She's visited our church a couple of times since we've met them --and she's absolutely adorable.

Yes, another digression. Sorry. (But, you're reading it, so you've got to deal with it!)

After they left, Mom and Caroline went outside to play. My parents live in a wooded area, with a stunning view of the French Broad River. Between swinging on the swingset, playing in the sandbox, and "hiking" in the woods, Caroline was having quite an afternoon.

But tonight, Mom called and told me the latest thing she'd seen Caroline do that was notable. . . and this one is a keeper!

She said that while they were swinging, Caroline was sitting in the "baby" swing (you know -- where she could be contained) and was looking up into the tall trees around them. Mom said she could hear her singing something, but couldn't make it out. . . at first. Then she heard:

"Rock a bye baby, in the tree tops. . . .rock a bye baby, in the tree tops." Now. . . tell me that my kid doesn't get it. That was all she sang. She didn't need to sing the rest of the song. That first phrase was enough.

So, when the world (her teachers, administrators, or our PRESIDENT) make comments in reference to children with special needs. . . I'm going to remember this.

Rather than condemn, or brush them off, I'm going to purposely remind myself that God has given her eyes to see the world around her, and a voice to sing in response to what she sees.

I'm going to thank him for the gift of this sweet little girl whose favorite new "thing" is to tickle you -- in some very odd, and (coincidentally) inappropriate places.

I'm going to rejoice that I get to spend my life raising and loving her.

And hopefully, I'm going to have my camera handy so that I can continue to capture these moments, and find new ways to share them and encourage others to see the PERSON, not the disability.

Well, my friends. . . I leave you with that image. . . a little girl feeling the breeze and responding to her creator by singing a song. Could it get any better?

Well, I suppose you could be reading this and eating a cherry turnover at the same time. But that's probably not happening!
Photobucket

6 Comments:

Blogger Mellykat said...

1. Uhhhh...not much to post about? ::ahem::

2. (I'm glad this was a long one, I feel like we got to catch up.)

3. My death by chocolate has a bottom layer of chocolate cake (cut in cubes), a layer of cool whip, Skor bits, and milk chocolate chips, another layer of cake, a layer of Oetker chocolate mousse with the Skor bits and chocolate chips then one more layer of cake and topped with cool whip and one more round of Skor bits and chocolate chips. Sounds a bit less rich than yours but I totally have to try that one now! :)

4. This post made me smile. That little girl is such a gift! You and she have changed my life.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I declare myself the arbiter of all DBC concoctions. Please send sufficient samples to my address of record. I'll announce a winner after multiple rounds of competition (with no cooks voted off the island).

12:34 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

okay so i am up in the middle of the night with a horrible cold, but this post was worth it... like i said in my previous comment God blows me away as he demonstrates thru the girl that He ahs a plan, and no one can move God and what he has planned for her... she does bring sight to the blind...

5:36 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Sounds like "C" is feeling better. We missed her in Sunday school...although it is probably good she wasn't there second hour...lots of crying. Hope you have a good week!

You really should make that Death By Chocolate for small group sometime...sounds delicious!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

Oh, but Kathy, after making it for the small group, it wouldn't be a "small" group anymore.

It's really better to let trained professionals handle these situations.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the times that God gives us a peek into something amazing and special and beautiful. Something that may seem small to others, but is highlighting something so much bigger.

Yes, she does get it! I'm getting a whole lot more know too that I'm slowing down and appreciating the little things. :-)

Blessings to you!
Leslie

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home