This is My "Real" Blog: Follow Up. . . .


Angie's Blog!

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Follow Up. . . .

For my friend, Joni . . . .

Joni asked me to post the chocolate chip scone recipe. I am only too happy to oblige. But, I want to add a quick note.

I realize that "creating" buttermilk isn't as good as buying it from the store. You certainly wouldn't want to drink it. Of course, I wouldn't want to drink buttermilk anyway. But, if you don't have it on hand, you can always fake it with lemon juice or vinegar.


Chocolate Chip Scones

2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt

Mix dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.

Cut 1 stick butter (cold) into this mixture. Continue cutting this mixture together until it has the consistency of oatmeal. Stir in 1/2 c. chocolate chips (*)

Into this mixture stir in 2/3 c. buttermilk & 1 t. vanilla (combined). When the dough begins to cling together, take out and knead on a floured surface. Pat into a 8" circle. Cut in half -- and cut each half into four (4) pie wedges. Place these wedges on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.

Combine 1 egg and 1 T milk.

Brush over tops of scones. Then sprinkle on 2 T white sugar and 1/4 t. cinnamon.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Tops will begin to brown. Allow to cool on wire rack. Enjoy warm -- or enjoy them even more the next morning. Simply store them in an airtight container after they have completely cooled.


Now, you know me. . . .the recipe I gave you is exactly what I used.

However. . . (there's always a "however" with me!) I omitted one ingredient that they called for. In the original recipe, when you add in the chocolate chips, you can also add in a 1/2 c. dried cherries or dried cranberries. For some reason, that just didn't sound appealing to me. So, I left them out.

The other thing they suggest is that you take the scones out of the oven, dust them with powdered sugar (after baking) and put them back under the broiler to "brown" them. Call me crazy, but I think my broiler would send that parchment paper up in flames. . . and then we're talking a whole other problem. And, honestly -- they were fine just like they were -- unbroiled.

Enjoy!!

I'm probably not going to blog tomorrow. I'm going to go to the crop right after church. . .and I have this sneaking suspicion that when I get home (whenever that is) I'll be tired.

So, have a lovely Sunday. I'll be back on Monday.

In the meantime. . . make some scones!!



Photobucket

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Finally! You've been torturing us with the dang scones for like 4 days! It's about time you posted the recipe!!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

So these scones - do they travel well?

I'm just askin' . . .

12:01 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Yum!!! Enjoy your crop.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! Have tons o'fun at the crop!

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home