This is My "Real" Blog: Getting Called Out vs. Getting Preached About


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Getting Called Out vs. Getting Preached About

Growing up in church, as I did, there were moments that made my mother want to kill my sister and me. Talking during church -- especially in those back three-four rows where the teenagers always sat. Piano side -- near that back entrance -- so you *could* sneak out, if you so desired. Many did -- some got caught.

Growing up at Park Forest South Christian Church - now Deer Creek Christian Church - I don't remember Earl (our minister) calling anyone out for talking or misbehaving. But, there was always that thought that he might say something if we got really obnoxious.

Then, there was. . . the look. My mom could, actually she still can, give a look that strikes fear into everyone. A few years ago, I realized that I use the look -- my choir members have assured me that I've got it. When they miss an entrance -- I give them the look. When someone else misses a cue -- I'm told -- I give the look. And, when my kid is acting up in church, I can assure you, I use the look.

But the look is one thing. Being called out is another.

When we came to Seymour Heights, there was talk of my former boss "calling people out" during a service. That's the stuff of legends, my friends. Being told to be quiet during church?!?! Holy cow -- that would do me in. And trust me - if I ever would have gotten called out during church, I would have done myself a multitude of favors by just running away during the invitation hymn -- because life at home would have been a veritable hell on earth had I actually gone home after such an event. In fact, the hair on the back of my neck is standing at full attention as I type -- just thinking about the trouble I would have seen. . . .

So today - I was reminded of the idea of being "called out" in church. But, thankfully, it was Mark that got the attention this time -- and not me.

Mark and our preacher have been emailing this past week about one of the points in last week's message. It was a sermon on materialism. It was a good sermon. It was a long sermon.

But, the point was that we need to "admire, rather than acquire" to help us deal with materialism. Mark thought this was a good point -- and used it in a blog entry. Then, he emailed my boss about the entry (no doubt providing a link) and lo and behold. . . .it got mentioned during church today. Randy shared that Mark - although interested in the $200 baseball card - is content to admire, rather than acquire. (Can I get an amen!?)

Following church today? People asked Mark about his blog. People asked for the address of the blog. People asked Mark what card he was looking for. People called our house wanting to talk to him about baseball cards.

HEY!

I blog, too, ya know?! I write about stuff with more eternal values than baseball cards?!?!? And he gets the mention in church? Totally unfair.

Actually -- as much as I enjoy blogging it kind of freaks me out when people tell me they've read or seen something in the blog. I often will go back through old entries -- making sure that I've not written anything that would be a major embarrassment to me, my family, my employer. . .you get the picture.

I am bold enough to put my blog address on my facebook profile. . . and the email template I use for all my church emails has a little icon with my blog header *(and an embedded link) so I'm putting myself out there. Anything I say or do really *can* be held against me.

. . . but hopefully, it won't get talked about from the stage in big church.

That would be just too, too much!
Photobucket

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nowadays you just gotta be careful. Period.

My parents had "that look" as well... do we? Surely not! LOL!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I'm glad to hear someone else has that "oh my gosh I'd better go back and read my blogs" experience when someone says, "I read your blog!" It's SUCH a weird experience!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Shelly Wildman said...

I can totally relate to that too, Angie. Whenever people say, "I read your blog," I always kind of go, "Really?" Like I just can't believe anyone would care. But I'm so glad they do.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Angie. Poor, unappreciated Angie.

Isn't it good to know that the last shall someday be first?

Poor Mark.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've done the blog reread myself! My old blog has gotten me in trouble before! fun with in laws!!!

I am LOVING the financial series!!!! Randy got me seriously fired up yesterday!

And 'the look'....*shudder* my mom has a 'good' one!!! She still uses it....and it still makes me wish the ground would open and swallow me!

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home