This is My "Real" Blog: Be Still. . . . .


Angie's Blog!

Friday, December 03, 2010

Be Still. . . . .

I have trouble with this. I don't find myself being "still" very often. In fact, when find myself running in 15 different directions, I wonder when I'll ever find time to slow down, or even (gasp!) stop.

Today - I was reminded of this while driving through town. Mind you, this has felt like a week where all I've done is drive. I've been chauffeur, taxi driver, and a delivery service this week. I even let Edison drive into South Knoxville on a very busy, dangerous road -- at night just as it had begun raining -- so I've not sat still for very long.

But today, while driving home from the grocery store (had to get groceries for tonight's staff Christmas party), I came upon a "new" stoplight that will soon be installed about a mile from our house. It's going to make things interesting for the first couple of weeks, but it's going to make things safer in the long run.

Regardless. I was at the light. There was one car coming - but I could've turned ahead of him. For some reason, that little voice told me not to do so.

Note: This is not one of those "angel on the shoulder" moments, where I just missed a car wreck -- don't get excited.

It was just actually an opportunity to stop. To be still. To wait. I actually consciously took a breath while I waited for the car. And, can I admit this?

I enjoyed just sitting there, waiting.

Why am I sharing this? Because I have this sneaking suspicion that I'm not the only one that is always in some state of motion. Don't get me wrong -- there's nothing wrong with being busy. There's nothing wrong with movement. In fact, I'm trying that familiar eat less, move more way of life. There's nothing wrong with moving.

But, trust me -- there's also nothing wrong with being still.

Photobucket

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So important this time of year when everyone is hustling and bustling around.
thanks for the reminder!
hugs!

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trouble with being still is that it's so hard to do. If God would have told me to stay too busy, to stay up too late, to eat too much chocolate - those are things I can do easily.

Being still is hard.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home