This is My "Real" Blog: Want S'More? Yes!


Angie's Blog!

Friday, October 13, 2006

Want S'More? Yes!

It's finally here. Fall.has.arrived.

I awoke this morning to a frosty backyard. There was so much frost on the deck railings, I was able to compose a little "message" to send to Melany in Ontario. Here I thought I was being cute, and she was dealing with 5-6 inches of white stuff, and snow angels in her front yard. Sorry, Melany!






After lunch, it was naptime for Caroline. I had the long-awaited shower and obligatory leftover pork fried rice for lunch. Then, it was potato salad-making time, and a chance to get caught up on e-mails and blog writing

No internet connection. No explanation. No resolution. Change of direction.

Caroline's nap ended just before we needed to leave for my staff party/bonfire tonight. We bundled her up, loaded up the car with food and two small quilts, and headed for Bob & Sue's house. It was still daylight when we arrived, and although it was in the low 60s, there was a chill in the air. As the sun went down over the horizon, the temperatures began to plummet.






Suddenly the "just for ambience" campfire in Bob's driveway became the communication center and sole source of warmth for everyone. Edison and a few friends played in the yard. I think they kept warm by creating kinetic energy. The rest of us huddled around the fire - and made s'mores.

The s'mores were my idea at Wednesday's staff meeting. I have good ideas from time to time. This was definitely one of my better suggestions.

Caroline enjoyed her first tastes of melted, gooey marshmallow. I found myself saying, "Do you want s'more?" over and over. I realized that I may just have connected myself with the actual word origin of this delectable treat. She wanted s'more, and when mine was gone, she started begging from Mark.

Grandma fed her a marshmallow of her own. Rock on, Grandma.

At some point, Sue, my boss's wife decided that I needed more warmth than my little fleece pullover and dinky baby quilts were offering me. She brought me the most wonderful old hand-tied scrap quilt which I kept around my shoulders--even when just feet away from the fire.






After Caroline got sleepy, I cuddled her under the blanket, and she drifted off to sleep, too.

That, my friends, is the definition of a fabulous fall evening. Good food. . .rockin' good conversation. . . . a blazing fire. . . laughter and fellowship. . .and a precious toddler cuddled in your arms--breathing evenly and slowly as she falls asleep and acts as a little radiator for your frontside.






I still smell a little like smoke. And, although I'd really enjoy a warm shower to wash it away, I think I'm going to stay this way, and cling to this evening just a little bit longer.

Happy pumpkins, gourds, haystacks, bonfires, and flannel shirts, ya'll. Around here, it's finally FALL!!!
Photobucket

3 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Want s'more of Angie's blog! Yes please...because my friend you do have great ideas!! Sounds like a wonderful time - thanks for sharing!

1:17 AM  
Blogger Cooksalot said...

Boy Helen you sure are fast! heehee
Caroline sure is cute in her woobies. And you sure look comfy in that quilt. It sounds like you had a great evening. Wish I could have had some of those s'mores. Yesss indeed fall is here.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Alright, Angie...I'll see your thin veil of frost, and I'll raise you SIX INCHES OF SNOW and a snowboy!

Looks like you had a grand ol' time at the bonfire. Could really use one of those up here!

Melany :)

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home