This is My "Real" Blog: Resolve


Angie's Blog!

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Resolve

And no, I'm not referring to the carpet cleaner!

The other night, as we were eating our New Year's Eve munchies, Edison pipes up, "So Mom, have you set any resolutions for this year?"

Remember, he is a child influenced by the countless commercials and advertisements for Weight Watchers, LA Weight Loss, etc. I don't remember my exact words, but basically the idea of "Step off, Shorty" came across loud and clear. Subject changed.

But, I've had a few days to think about resolutions. Am I going to make any? Am I going to make changes in my life? Does it matter whether one starts on January 1 or 2? Here's what I've decided, and what I've done:

1) I am resolved to be a more positive person this year. Now, to some of you, this may seem unnecessary. . . but I actually DO have a negative streak. (Okay, stop laughing, Melany!) But I am going to try to maintain a more positive outlook, and try to curb some of the negativity--especially in the midst of change.

Editor's note: Sarcasm is genetically passed down from generation to generation. Thanks, Dad. . . it's not going anywhere!

2) I am resolved to be more disciplined. Going to bed at a decent hour. Washing dishes. Reading books. Exercise. Drinking water. Reading THE book. Watching less TV.

I have really gotten lax about some of the basics. If I'm going to be a catalyst for change, I've got to make some adjustments, and not expect the world around me to change for me.

3) I am resolved to be more active. It saddens me that two of my most cherished hobbies are sedentary ones. I love any type of sewing. I miss doing more of it. Since Caroline was born, the sewing machine has been put away. That saddens me. And scrapbooking is near and dear to my heart -- whether on a computer, or playing with the paper itself. Those two hobbies are beneficial for my coordination, creativity, emotional health, and brain function. However, they've got to be combined with things that make you move.

4) I am resolved to be more responsible with the blessings I've been given. Family. Home. Money. Body. I am nothing, if not a criminal, when I treat these blessings so carelessly.

I'd like to think that my existence on earth is at its midpoint. If that is the case, I have got to make some changes in order to fulfill that desire to live a long, healthy life.

I have garnered a few friends who I've asked to pray for me. I've asked them to pray for my diligence, and to figuratively keep my feet to the fire.

I warned them, however, that I tend to be somewhat of a spoiled brat when it comes to accountability. I am not proud to say that when confronted, I usually push back (again, figuratively). I don't like being told when I screw up. I HATE making mistakes. And probably most of all, I don't like being told that I could do better. . . and that's one of the things I'm praying about myself. I am asking for a change of heart when it comes to confrontation and change.

One of my friends wrote back today and said that when one area of your life is suffering, other areas suffer. Physically, I'm not where I should be. And, I'm sad to admit that emotionally, spiritually, and organizationally (if that's a category) I'm suffering, as well.

So, it's January 2. If this blog magically disappears on January 12, you'll know that this was an exercise in futility, and that I'm too embarrassed to admit it.

It boils down to four words:

Positive
Discipline
Action
Responsibility

Gosh, I sound like a Tony Robbins wanna-be, don't I? Scary.

Bottom line: I have encouraging friends. I have a loving family. I have a faithful God. I'm three for three...you can't do much better than that!
Photobucket

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lesson for us all my friend, indeed! A wonderful blog on the vice of resolutions - or not! And dont take the blog away....keep it as a constant reminder - to us all - of how we can strive to be better. Well done for contemplating and putting to paper (electronically anyway for us OS people) what many of us need reminders of . Cheers Angie ~ Helen

10:13 PM  
Blogger Q, La, and Gooner said...

As per resolution number 1. Could you please start with my blog? ie: If our blogs were to meet in a dark alley maybe they could be friends?

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it all - your realistic outlook, your focus on the importance - it isn't about being perfect, it is about being a light. You can do it and I'll be thinking about you!

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like wonderful resolutions! Happy New Year to you! ;)

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a brave soul for sharing this with the world. You really do speak for a lot of us. Thank you for helping encourage me as I am needing and wanting to do the same things. I have been dealing with these issues for too long now. I believe God has gotten me to the point of actually addressing them instead of putting them off. (He has been patient with me.) As we accomplish our goals, we can share in the victories. My hat is off to you!!

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Great goals to have! I'm sure you'll do better than I will as far as actually attaining them! :)

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home