This is My "Real" Blog: 2 days and counting


Angie's Blog!

Saturday, December 23, 2006

2 days and counting

I can't believe it's been a week since I've posted, but it's true. This has been an insanely busy week. And now, it's midnight on Friday night - the rain is falling in a steady rhythm on my roof - and I'm reminding myself that Christmas in the south does have its benefits.

1) When you do that last-minute shopping (which we all do, let's be honest) you don't have to make your way over that 3-day old snow in the parking lot. 3-day old snow, for my southern friends, is gray, full of salt and grime, and takes forever to melt!

2) If you are crazy enough to buy your kid a bike or scooter, they can actually ride the toy before Easter. I think we experienced one Christmas when I was growing up where the temperature was above 45 degrees.

3) If you are crafty enough to hide your child's gift in the garage, or under the house, or out in the car, it's not a trip out to the frigid minivan to pick up the booty.

4) For me, Christmas in the south means Christmas with my family. It means dinner at Aunt Mary & Uncle Jeff's house after the Christmas Eve (6 p.m) service on Sunday night.

It means that on Christmas morning, my mom and dad will come over for breakfast, and watch the kids open their presents. Dad will bring his own thermos of coffee--since he knows I don't have the wherewithall to make him Christmas Blend from Starbucks.

It means that after Mom & Dad go home, I'll make a green bean casserole and a new salad recipe that I'll take over to their house for dinner on Monday evening. And, the delicious pineapple cheeseball will be what we munch on all afternoon, while we play games, talk, or take naps.

.....yeah, Christmas in the south is pretty good.

Speaking of that cheeseball. . .here's my Christmas gift to you. Granted, it's not my recipe, but my friend Kathy, who shared it with me, loves it so much, they served it at her bridal shower and rehearsal dinner. It really rocks!


Pineapple Cheese Ball

2 8-oz blocks cream cheese
1 8-oz can crushed pineapple (in heavy syrup)
1/4 c. finely chopped green pepper
1 t. seasoned salt
chopped pecans
parsley flakes

Allow the cream cheese to soften to room temperature. Drain the pineapple as completely as possible. Mix cream cheese, pineapple, green pepper and seasoned salt together. You can use your hands or a good mixer.

Form into a ball. Roll in a mixture of finely chopped pecans and parsley flakes. Allow to "mellow" in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Overnight is best.

Serve with crackers. I've started using those Keebler Snack Sticks (Club crackers in a long thin shape) Very, very delicious!


I'll be making mine tomorrow. Enjoy. Merry Christmas!
Photobucket

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Angie!! Love ya!

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have Christmas in "the south" I certainly am downunder! LOL! You have been busy blogging while I have been MIA! Love the blogs Angie! ~ Love Helen

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home