This is My "Real" Blog: It really *is* on the lawn!


Angie's Blog!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

It really *is* on the lawn!

That's right. I pulled in my driveway this afternoon, and shed a few tears. My precious house is on the market! They really were tears of joy, but if you know me, you aren't at all surprised that I cried a little.

As I type, Edison and my mom are in his room - packing his "winter" clothes into storage boxes. I pray to the Good Lord in Heaven that we don't need them any more this season.

Caroline is (supposedly) asleep. Dad and Mark are taking a truckload of stuff down to a storage facility where it will eventually be sold at our church's rummage sale. I'm telling you. . . a third-world country could greatly beef up its economy by selling our cast-offs.

And that's where I'll leave you all tonight. I have been humbled, make that *humiliated* by the "rummage" in our lives. I am a very sentimental person. I hate to throw away stuff that was special--whether to me, or to someone else. I cherish letters from Grandma Heim and Grandma Knowles. I have books that were signed by my Aunt Judy -- I wouldn't trade them for the world. And, don't get me started on things that people have created for me over years.

But, there is far too much STUFF in our lives!

Mark and I have spent the better portion of the last three days frantically getting the house ready to sell. Through this difficult process, I have learned the value of letting go of stuff. I hope that I have also learned the value of being more discriminating when it comes to purchasing those "must-have" items that plague us all. I trust that I will do better in the future with regards to using things, and then giving them to someone else to enjoy. But most of all, I earnestly pray that my hard-learned lessons in financial and personal stewardship will somehow grip my children so that they don't have to make my mistakes again in 20 years.

After packing all those sweaters, I think Edison is starting to get the picture. As always, I'll keep you posted. . .
Photobucket

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you sure have managed to keep up with your "commenting" for soemone so busy, I am soooo rpoud of you, I hate packing, I hate winnowing through stuff, *shakes head* go you!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Wish I were there to give you a hug when you pulled in the driveway. It's bittersweet, isn't it!?

You really have gotten me thinking about going into the basement to purge some "treasures".

Love Melly :)

11:34 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Such wonderful and exciting news. I would shed a tear also my friend. We have been in our new home not 18 months yet...it is wonderful but I still drive past the old little home and sigh deeply. It's the memories from between those walls....but we are making new ones in this wonderful home....just as you shall my friend. Keep spring cleaning...it is good for the soul! My thoughts are with you....

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

look at you talkin' Canadian

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home