This is My "Real" Blog: God Blessed me Through HBO


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, April 12, 2007

God Blessed me Through HBO

God is full of surprises. I don't know many who would say, "God really blessed me through HBO tonight." But, it's true for me.

Earlier this week, while cleaning out one of the many piles of stuff in our room, Mark learned that we were getting free HBO for a week. It seems that we are valued customers of our cable company. Our free week began on April 6, and ended tonight.

Mind you, we've only been valued customers since February. If you recall, I had us re-subscribe to cable so that I would not miss out on the entire schedule of NASCAR races.

Anyway, we learned about a movie that was shown on HBO Family tonight. The name of the movie is "Yellow Brick Road." I had never heard of this movie--but I can guarantee, I'll never forget it! This documentary won the Long Island Film Festival, and received other acclaim by independent film groups. It is phenomenal.

"Yellow Brick Road" tells the story of the ANCHOR (Answering the Needs of Citizens with Handicaps Through Organized Recreation) program which provides opportunities for disabled young adults in the New York area. In this particular documentary, the staff of ANCHOR is directing and producing the show, "'The Wizard of Oz" with a cast made up of entirely mentally challenged young adults.

I was undone.

One of the first things Mark and I noticed is that the actors were not "labeled" by their diagnoses. For some, it was obvious. The Tin Man was played by a man with CP. He stole the show, among those with speaking parts.

There were many young men and women with Down syndrome. One young man played the Doorman. He stole the show for me. Playing air guitar on his battle axe. . . kissing the director. . . hugging and kissing his fellow actors and actresses. He stole my heart in the opening scene of the documentary, and kept it when the credits finished rolling.

Note: Mark tells me, as I'm typing, that the director's brother has Ds. We both think that he might have been the director's brother. I'm smitten.

I e-mailed my friend Christy this evening, before we started watching, and sent her the link to the movie. I know, from her previous blog entries, that this is a movie she and her husband Steve will absolutely love. Being theater veterans, they are going to eat up every minute of this precious documentary. They will, like we did, watch and wonder. They will be inspired for their sons Henry and Steven. They will laugh and cry. And, I wish, more than anything, that I could be watching it with them!

If you get a chance, please watch this movie! If you see it at your video store, or in the library, I can guarantee you that it is well worth the $3 or $5 rental fee.

When you see the look of pride on the faces of these precious individuals, you will experience joy beyond measure. You will get a glimpse inside the hearts and lives of those whom Jesus referred to as the least of these.

. . . .but let me warn you, you just might need some kleenex for the last 15 minutes!
Photobucket

2 Comments:

Blogger Mellykat said...

Awwwwwwww. That sounds so great! Sort of reminds me of that movie "The Ringer"...the actors were so incredibly sweet and genuine I ended up loving the movie because of that despite the fear I had that it would be horrible.

I'll look for it...

12:40 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

I almost need a tissue now just reading the emotions in your words....I shall certainly keep my eyes and ears out for it

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home