This is My "Real" Blog: "Mom"


Angie's Blog!

Friday, March 30, 2007

"Mom"

I've been "mama"
I've been "mommy"

Suddenly, without notice, I have become "mom"

I did not give my permission for this change of terminology. At some point, on Thursday, March 29, Caroline decided that my name is "mom" rather than "mama," or "mommy." Can I say, please, that I much prefer "mama" or "mommy" especially since she's just 35 months old.

It doesn't help that my son finds it hilarious. My wonderful, dedicated husband, whom she calls "Daddy" thinks it's funny, too.

I'm not laughing.

Why does it bother me so?

I really think it bothers me because it is just another sliver of evidence that she is growing up. She's doing this at a much faster rate than I was ready for. Maybe I had "altered" my expectations that she would seem like a baby longer than other kids, because of the Down syndrome. Maybe I figured I'd always be "mommy" to her, because she's my baby girl.

Or, if I'm honest, maybe it makes her seem older -- so it makes me feel older.

Excuse me, please pass the geritol. I feel a wrinkle coming on.
Photobucket

3 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Oh..I am not going to seem so dumb as to even ask what geritol is??? Dumb Aussie!! But....WHAT A GREAT BLOG! I am with you 100%. We are certainly going to be crying into each others monitor as we re-tell tales together of our little girls growing up. This may develop to....(as Katie does...) "MUM" when she yells because she wants something...but the "Mama or Mummy" certainly is still there in times of need. Katie bawled her eyes out at creche on Thursday :( It was sssooo hard to leave her. She has been a big "cuddle Mummy" ever since. So don't give up hope just yet my fellow Mummy...a shock...yes! A defeat...no!

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can totally relate... definitely liked "Mommy" better too!

6:07 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

"Mom" isn't so bad after a while. Be ye forewarned however that eventually, the term will be several syllables depending on the inevitible mood. It is at that time you will pray for a cheery single syllable "mom."

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home