This is My "Real" Blog: Holy Granoley!


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Holy Granoley!

That's right. . .I'm blogging twice in one day! I actually wrote the previous blog before I went to bed last night (this morning) so, in my mind, it's yesterday's entry.

The song of the day:

"You make me feel. . . y0u make me feel. . .you make me feel like a Na-tur-al Woman. . (wo-man!)"

Some of you may remember the show Murphy Brown. On it's most-watched episode, Candace Bergen scratchily (and off-tune) sang this song to her new baby upon his arrival. Truth be told, I think if you asked him, the scene would have made even Dan Quayle cry. (This Trivial Pursuit topic will surely separate the baby boomers from the rest of you!)

This however, is the song on my lips this afternoon. I'm sure you're thinking that I hummed it as I rocked Caroline to sleep. Or sang it over my sleeping 12-year old who is becoming a young man far too quickly.

Nope. I'm singing to my granola. That's right, I said granola. If you would have caught me singing that song today, you'd have seen me crooning over two pans of homemade granola that are now cooling on my kitchen counter.

My new & exciting friend Beth, whose blog I faithfully read, shared this recipe with me months ago and I'm just now getting around to making this delicious mixture of all things natural, sweet, and delicious. Of course, I added a pinch more maple syrup. I have to admit that I omitted the sesame seeds (didn't have), but used dried apricots, cranberries and raisins along with the almonds, walnuts, pecans and sunflower seeds. Oh, and I used my homemade vanilla--so I can take some credit for this food of the gods that is going to make its debut atop some ice cream, or in my cereal bowl tomorrow morning.

I haven't started grinding my own wheat. I thought about it at one time (pre Y2K). And, I must admit that after sampling some of the hot granola, I washed it down with a Diet Coke.

So, a natural woman may be a bit of a stretch for me. But for now, I'm going to enjoy some really kickin' breakfast cereal that I made myself. And, I'm going to make more when it runs out.

Oh, and one more very crucial thing. . .

My friend Christy, whose son, Henry, shares that same extra chromosome that Caroline does. . . shared a wonderful speech on her blog that was given by a young man to his high school peers and teachers. I encourage you to visit Christy's blog to read it. Bring an open mind--and don't stop reading after the first or second paragraph. The entry you're looking for is dated Tuesday March 6. It's worth looking for.

Edited: I had a bowl of granola with skim milk. This is heavenly, ya'll. The time spent on the counter allowed the granola to "crisp up" and it made the flavors meld together so beautifully.
Photobucket

3 Comments:

Blogger Mellykat said...

Wowie! I wanna make some too...how the heck do you make homemade vanilla though?

I loooooooooved that speech - it was pretty amazing - I talked about it at coffee break with the gals - I'm gonna print it and share it.

And, by the way, don't you have some sort of ginormous announcement to make to the blogging world????????????? Your adoring reading public awaits...

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think exciting might be a stretch, and not so new either... (i think a small person recently called me "old")and the sesame seeds have been voted off the island here at our house, i still like them though... I have of late been using Dr Oetker's vanilla powder which is pretty intense, and you should warn Melany that one can get looped on homemade vanilla, I have heard, not personal experience

7:56 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

You are just too too funny...crooning to your bowl of granola....thanks for making me smile on this Friday arvo. Happy weekend to you Angie.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home