This is My "Real" Blog: In an effort to boycott all emergency room visits. . .


Angie's Blog!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

In an effort to boycott all emergency room visits. . .

Caroline and I both refused to go the ER. Curious? Read on.

On Saturday, I had another round with "Rocky II" my 2nd kidney stone. When I went to the ER a couple weeks ago, the CAT scan showed another kidney stone in my kidney. When he started to "shake, rattle, and roll" on Saturday, I knew what was up. And yes, for whatever reason, I've assigned a gender of male to kidney stones.

Medicine good. Pain bad. More medicine good. Pain gone. Sleep heavenly.

I was able to be at both services on Sunday morning. . . and although being tired from paying homage to the porcelain god that lives in my bathroom, I felt fine. I didn't take a full-fledged nap on Sunday, but dozed while Caroline slept.

Monday - back to work, daycare, school, etc. As a famous writer said, "All was right with the world," as we started the week off.

However, yesterday afternoon, Caroline woke up from her typical nap with a not-so-typical cough and wheeze. It was stridor. And no, I don't mean the ever scrumptious Viggo Mortensen from Lord of the Rings. It was croup.

We acted quickly, and gave her a breathing treatment. That seemed to help, some. She eventually settled down (with just a little rattle in her chest) and even ate supper. But, by 8 p.m., it was necessary to give her another treatment. She didn't like it, but it helped. Bathttime went without a hitch. Bed time approached, and we thought we had it made in the shade.

Unfortunately, around 11 p.m. she started in again. We tried taking her outside to breathe in some cooler air. It helped. . . and then we took her to a warm, steamy bathroom. Again, it helped settle her down--but the stridor came back around 12:45 or so. After a couple of calls to my aunt (a nurse) and the after-hours nurse at the pediatrician's office, we gave her another breathing treatment which ended at 1 a.m.

Mark stayed up with her in the recliner. She slept. Him? Not so much. He came into bed sometime around 5 a.m. At 6, she was up again. I took a turn in the recliner, and we stayed there until 8. And, at 8, she was ready to go!

Our doctor's visit was scheduled for 9. It went great. The staff complimented us on avoiding the ER - especially because she did so well. After two prescriptions and 18 minutes, we were on our way.

And now, she's doing fine. Her newest "trick" is standing with her arms folded. Of course, the process of actually getting her arms crossed is more hilarious than the pose itself. And of course, when we imitate her, she thinks she's queen of the castle! So, all in all--even with sickness, we are having good times here at the Crazy House of Aubrey.

Happy Tuesday to you all! It's a balmy 77 degrees today - so I'm loving this particular Tuesday more that just about any that I can remember!
Photobucket

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Oh, what some people would give to see a video of the "arm crossing" routine. I'm picturing a paddlewheel-type thing, where you see right arm, left arm, right arm, left arm. And a great big smile when everything's in the right place!

6:14 PM  
Blogger Mark Aubrey said...

scrumptious

Main Entry: scrump·tious
Pronunciation: \ˈskrəm(p)-shəs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: perhaps alteration of sumptuous
Date: 1830
: delightful, excellent; especially : delicious

Thanks.


:)

7:37 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Paging Dr. Aubrey, Dr. Aubrey to the ER...feels that way, doesn't it!?

Hope Rocky gets knocked out and that croup goes away forever too! I'm guessing Edison is feeling better from his infestations?

By the way, I loooooooove that Mr. Hubby leaves a sweet comment. But don't tell him I said that. (puppy)

Love Melly :)

P.S. Your temp today was only 40 degrees warmer than mine! It was beyooooteeeeful here today!

11:48 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Are you one of those gorgeous people Angie who always find a silver lining? Smile in adverstiy....and dream of Strider rather than ER? Thank you for making me smile. Well done to both you and hubby for making it through the night. And to little Caroline...hugs and kisses from her little Aussie pal who also loves to fold her arms.....too funny!

8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home