This is My "Real" Blog: It's Finally Happening. . . or so they say


Angie's Blog!

Saturday, April 28, 2007

It's Finally Happening. . . or so they say

It's a lovely (semi-cloudy) Saturday morning here at Chez Aubrey. A yummy breakfast casserole and Overnight Coffee Cake are in the oven. Biscuits are going to be put into the oven [direct from the freezer -- I'm not Martha Stewart for gosh sakes!] and the phone rings. . . .

"Hello?"

"Angie, this is Pam. Another agent wants to show the house at 12:30. Will that work?"

"Why, it sure will!"

So, as I'm feeding nine Aubrey's a delicious breakfast, I am also anticipating the first-ever showing of my house. Kinda scary. But, kinda cool. The house will (hopefully) smell of cinnamon and nutmeg from the casserole. If it doesn't, I have a few scented candles that we'll burn before we "bug out" at noon.

In other news, Caroline is getting ready to turn THREE tomorrow. I cannot believe it. She has absolutely no clue what's coming. We've been talking about turning three, and birthdays, but it hasn't sunk in yet.

Nana & Papa gave her some big girl "dress up" clothes last night--complete with two (not one, but two) tutus, bracelets, a little pink purse, and a pink straw hat. When Mark and I got to the house last night, she was running around saying, "PRETTY" to everyone she saw. And, she was. She was beautiful!! [pictures to follow as soon as I get them]

Edison's Middle School football banquet was last night. All the boys got trophies, and there wasn't any MVP, or anything like that. That made me happy. The guys are a real rag-tag bunch of adolescents, but they've got heart. They didn't win a game last season (I believe) but they are getting geared up for next year--and watching the coaches interact with them, I realize that there's a different dynamic with a sports coach than with a dad. Personally, in this house, I'm glad the two don't co-exist. [especially the football coaching type]

So, there's our life in a little nutshell. Oh, I almost forgot. . .

My sweet, dear friend Helen (from Australia) asked about Caroline entering preschool at such a young age. Let me explain briefly (yeah, right!)

The Department of Education works with individual states to provide instruction and intervention for children who demonstrate special needs, or developmental delays. When Caroline was born with Down syndrome, the hospital alerted the state (and us) to this, and got our names into "the system."

[side note: I have never been a fan of "the system" and as a homeschool mom up until this time, it literally freaked me out to have Caroline on the state rolls for education and early intervention]

::Sigh::

From the point she was about 6 weeks old, until yesterday, Caroline received physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and developmental assistance through the state's early intervention system. They paid for these therapies (what our insurance didn't cover) and provided us with assistance, information, and support through the first three years.

Fast-forward to now. . . Caroline will, again through the department of education and the state, begin going to preschool on Monday. School systems provide developmental preschool settings for all children with disabilities, and will work with them until they are old enough to enter kindergarten.

Our goal, as a family, is that Caroline will be mainstreamed as possible. It is our goal, and it will be our demand, that she be included in as many "normal" classes as possible. School for her will not be skilled-daycare. She will learn to read, write, add, subtract, spell, and the list goes on. . . . We are learning more and more about young adults with Ds who are going to college, and excelling in a skilled trade, and making a difference in this world.

That's what Caroline was created for. To make a difference.

Ahem. I'm done. My speech is over. Thank you all for your kind attention. I now turn the microphone over for questions and answers. . . . ::hee hee::

Happy Saturday!!!
Photobucket

3 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Aaahh my friend you never fail to deliver! Round of applause if you please...oh look...standing ovation for the Aubreys! Feeding the masses; preparing the house for prospective buyers; organising a party fit for a princess and all with a smile on your face!

I can smell the aroma from here --mmmmm. I wish you well with the upside down life you will lead until that ol' house of yours is gone. Cannot wait to see the princess in her dress-ups! And thank you ssssoo much for that indepth explanation! Little darlin' - Katie will only go to 3y.o. preschool next year and that is only for two hours a week. I have my fingers and toes crossed that Princess Caroline will settle in well to her new duties.

Signing off from Princess Katie who wishes her cyber friend a big

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

1:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am really sorry that I missed yesterday and sending greetings... we had some challenges over here... Happy Happy Caroline as we say here in our home... Angie, can i add some things to Caroline's routine... thjings we did... I am a skeptic of the public school system, they did great things for Jenni, but we added "Stuff" that I think made some of the goals happen... (they arent as committed as we are to mainstreaming) you certianly dont have to answer me here... but i have some ideas... have had... just some bits here and there that made a difference for us... of course i am somewhat rebellious,... uhhh, this wasnt where i meant to write these this... you have made a huge difference in my life.. love to all of you...

7:38 AM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

A BIG Happy 3rd Birthday to Miss Cah-line!!!

Many big squeezy hugs!

Love Melly :)

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home