This is My "Real" Blog: Back from the Abyss


Angie's Blog!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Back from the Abyss

Last week was very interesting. I was starting to wonder what I had done to deserve all that I endured. (not really, but after a while, you start to get paranoid)

Caroline is much better following two visits to the pediatrician. The antibiotics are nearly gone. That's always a happy day. . .when that bottle is empty and thrown away.

Edison survived the end of school. He had a great awards day on Thursday. We were, and are, very proud of him. His first year of middle school went very well.

But with a sick child, and the end of a school year upon me, I was forced to suddenly come to grips with two children at home. Not one, but two. In most cases, they are fine, and function independent of each other. Not last week. They were inseparable. . .which I love. But, when one gets grumpy, they both react. Let's just say one was still recuperating, and the other declared himself "bored" or "overworked" after just one day.

Friday was also a day of "reckoning" for me, I guess you'd say. I went to a new doctor that I will begin seeing on a regular basis. He is an internist. Very thorough. We spent the better portion of the morning together. We had some long talks. We have more talking to do, but he's pushing me to get my life and health in order. I wanted to type "back" in order, but it's been so long, I can't type that in good conscience.

The rest of Friday afternoon was spent in tears. . .off and on. E-mails and phone calls from lots of my friends (Jeannette, Melany, Sheila, Beth, and others) were so encouraging -- and yet, I kept on crying. I really do have an enormous task in front of me -- but I'm taking it one day at a time, and three gallons of water at a time.

I'm really not drinking 3 gallons of water every day - but it sure feels like it!

The main thrust of my visit to the doctor was to address my hernia. More tests will be run next week, and I will proceed from there. It's going to be an interesting summer, to say the least!

On Saturday, Caroline introduced me to a phenomenon that Edison was courteous enough not to do. She stripped down -- removing her diaper -- proceeded to uh. . . let's say. . ."drop a load" in her bed, and wallow in it.

At the very moment that we discovered this -- I kid not -- my parents arrived to deliver her new table & chairs, and to say "hello." I was not in a "hello" mood. In fact, I was livid, and quite germophobic. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen, smelt, felt, grabbed, scrubbed. . .you get the picture.

Ironically, after cleaning up this disaster, we chose to take the kids out for dinner. Mexican food, of all things. After dinner, we bought ceiling fans for the new house. Fun.

Sunday was good. Kind of lazy. I like Sundays like that. We watched the Indy (some) and Coca-Cola 600 (most of it). Enjoyed it. I hate that Jeff Burton was pushed way back. He has become my favorite race-car driver. I don't know why. I might have a little crush on him. Who knows?

Monday - even more relaxation. Mark mowed the lawn at the old house. The kids and I stayed home and enjoyed a cool afternoon. Went to a graduation cookout last night. Had a great time there. Came home. Put kids to bed. Fell into bed exhausted.

All in all, it was good weekend...just busy. But, I realized, now that she's better...that I'm back. Back from the abyss. Back from the pit. Walking in victory. Feeling the sunshine on my face, and it's good.

Oh yeah, and I actually took some time this evening to scrap a picture. I've been contemplating the idea of "negative space" on a layout. One of the new girls over at BSD posted this layout, and I loved it. Here's my tribute to her great work.



Though I don't miss the 52 mile (round trip) drive to therapy every week, I really do miss seeing Jan and Missy. We need to schedule a follow-up visit, just to catch up with them.

Note to self: Do this before the surgery. Otherwise it won't happen!
Photobucket

6 Comments:

Blogger Mellykat said...

So glad C's feeling better.
So sympathetic you've got 'em both at home...
So glad you've got your thoughts about the doc visit "on paper"...makes it easier to get it into perspective.
So sorry that Caroline "logged off" in her bed. OY.
So, does Michael Waltrip even race anymore? Michael who?
So, which is worse...two mortgages or two lawns to mow?
So glad you are back from the abyss.
So loving that new layout...great use of "white space"
So now I'm outta here...Carter is FINALLY asleep!

Love Melly :)

12:01 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

oh gosh....take care my dear friend....you have so much to get better for!

Had to have a quiet giggle here about the bed "deposit"....Katie did that...loved to strip off for the afternoon nap...I used to wait until she was asleep and go back to reapply nappy (diaper) - fun and games. Luckily the novelty soon wore off! Let's home the same proves true for you.

Take care and best wishes....

2:44 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Oh, Angie....hang in friend. It is tough, the transition for all into summer, but it will work out soon. I hope the doctor visit and all turns into a positive for you - don't you hate that they hurt so much at first?

Okay....you are a goddess for handling the, um, load, with such dignity....the whole durn thing would be thrown away here....okay maybe not....no, maybe :).

9:20 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Well, being the terminal 7th grade humorist. I would naturally gravitate to the poo poo story but it sounds like your plate is full, so I will behave.

Hang in there kiddo...

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi girl... thanks for your candor in your posts... refreshing... hmmm maybe refreshing is not the word to use after such a story... i actually had something to add to our little health regimen and i want to tlak about stuff, so maybe soon we can do that. if not i will have to subject to one of my long winded emials...

4:41 PM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

I really do drink 3 gallons of water a day.

My pee is totally clear! It's CRAZY!

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home