This is My "Real" Blog: Just Like We Never Separated


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Just Like We Never Separated

Our friends, Pete and Erin, were here over the weekend. (Yes, my bathrooms *did* get cleaned--I taught Edison how to do it!) Our friendship with Pete and Erin is the kind where we just pick up where we left off the last time we saw them.

. . .which was last summer. They breezed through town, and we had dinner together. Dinner with Pete & Erin usually involves a new, or favorite restaurant in the greater Knoxville area. It used to be Catinella's. Then, one year, we introduced them to Puleo's Grille. They were notably impressed.

We even took at trip to Chicago with them in 2000. We called the "Pete Loves to Eat" trip. On our way to and from Chicago, we stopped at favorite restaurants, and pretty much gorged ourselves on favorites.

While in Chicago, we took them to Reza's. This is (hands down) our favorite restaurant of all time. Mark took me there about 18 years ago, when we were dating, and it was amazing. Doug and Mark used to go all the time.

We also took Pete and Erin to Aurelio's Pizza. This is (again, hands down) the finest pizza you will ever eat. And, for some reason, you have to eat Aurelio's at the original site in Homewood, IL. They have take-out sites in Naperville, Crete, and other sites around the greater metropolitan area, but the original home of Aurelio's is the best.

So eating is always a part of our reunions.

Last night, we took them to Craven Wings. Our friends from church opened this family-style wing and chicken finger restaurant in Seymour one year ago. I haven't asked them point-blank how their business is going, but the quality of the food is second-to-none. The atmosphere is clean and friendly, and the teriyaki chicken fingers with medium buffalo sauce and blue cheese dressing is still the best I've ever had.

For dessert, I made a Chocolate Lover's Cheesepie. I don't know why it's not called a cheesecake. I suppose it's because there's not a springform pan, and the directions and ingredients are very simple. I'll include the recipe, because I'm a giver. It's what I do. You will NOT be disappointed by this recipe. You have my word.



Chocolate Lover's Cheesepie

3 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese (room temp)
3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
2 c. (12 oz package) mini semi-sweet chips
1 (extra serving size) graham cracker crust (9 oz.)
2 T whipping cream

Heat oven to 450 degrees.

Beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs & vanilla; beat well. Stir in 1 2/3 c chips; pour into crust

Bake 10 minutes - without opening the door, reduce oven to 250 degrees. Continue baking for 30 minutes (or just until set). Remove from oven to wire rack. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.

Place remaining (1/3 c.) chips and whipping cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high (100%) for 20 to 30 seconds, or just until chips are melted. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Spread over cooled cheesepie. Refrigerate 15 minutes or until topping is set.

Cover and refrigerate leftovers. (they don't last long!)


This is seriously one delicious cake/pie/dessert. Enjoy!!

Oh, and for the record, there is more to our friendship than just a shared love of food and diet coke. We also played Bohnanza, a game they taught us. I liked it. Mark needs more time to get to love it and know it. We taught them Five Crowns last night. Then after church today, we played Guillotine and the Great Dalmuti. Both lots of fun.

So, it was an exhausting, but oh-so-satisfying weekend. . . and sadly, I have *no* pictures to prove it!
Photobucket

9 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Just had my Reza's chenga and lamb leftovers not 5 minutes ago...

8:29 PM  
Blogger Mark Aubrey said...

Leftovers? What, you didn't enjoy it all while dining in? Heretic.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

ahhh....they were the leftovers of a guest that mistakenly left them in my car....

When you can snatch the bastmati rice from my hand you will be ready grasshopper...

9:31 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

Pretty sure that would be
Basmati...

my bad

9:34 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

sometimes the best times are had when we arent worrying about photos, but still I am hoping you are not overdoing it, or maybe just jealous that I wasnt there... visitng you

9:36 PM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

My daughter has a condo on Michigan ave in Chicago. I'll have to ask her about Rezas. It's such a good feeling being with old friends... the kind that you just pick up with where you left off.
~Joni
I have a GIVEAWAY on my site today! Nothing extravagant but it is my design and handmade.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Cooksalot said...

Sounds like you had a fun time. Now you have me wanting some good food. Maybe Winger's later in the week if the craving doesn't go away. heehee I'm going to add the recipe to my Master Cook collection too. Thanks
Vicky

1:54 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Hi Angie. I'm reading your blog with tears in my eyes. Just loving your Caroline. I put up a new picture of my darling girl, Lexie, today on my blog if you'd like to see her.
Love, Kate xx
P.S Enjoying the whole blog, but Caroline just got to me (like they do, bless 'em)

6:07 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Aren't reunions the best!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home