This is My "Real" Blog: Smells Yummy in Here


Angie's Blog!

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Smells Yummy in Here

That's right. . .in honor of the upcoming holidays, and the realization that Thanksgiving is now LESS than two weeks away, I started some of my baking.

I made two types of cookies. I forgot how much I love them both. Thankfully, as soon as they cool, the majority of them are going into the freezer. Otherwise, they could be the death of me. . .or at least my diet!

Here are the recipes. Because the holidays are all about sharing, right? Pictures? Not so much.

Molasses Cookies (from Sue Natiello)

1 1/2 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. molasses
2 eggs
4 t. baking soda
4 c. flour
1 t. ground cloves
1 t. ginger
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt


Mix it all together. Roll teaspoonfulls of dough into balls, and then roll in 1/2 c. sugar. Place balls on cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes. (NO LONGER THAN THAT!)

This recipe makes a ton of cookies. . . I make mine on the small side.


Daisy Brown Sugar Cookies

2 c. brown sugar
1 c. shortening
2 eggs
3 c. flour
1 t. vanilla
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 c. chopped pecans

Cream shortening, eggs, and sugar. Add vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients, mixing well. Roll into 2 - 2 inch rolls. Slice cookies and bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes.

The Daisy Brown Sugar cookies are almost like a chocolate chip cookie without the chips. Edison and I are scheming that we might dip them halfway in melted semi-sweet chocolate before we serve them. In the meantime, I'll be freezing them until Thanksgiving.

Oh, and Beth. . . . .some of the things that will be appearing on our Thanksgiving table are Sweet Potato Pie, Squash Casserole, Broccoli Corn Bread, and Swiss Apple Cashew Salad. Do any of these make you say "hmmmmmmm?" If so, let me know.

Happy Saturday, Everyone!!

Photobucket

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Oooh, sounds yummy. I think I might pop by! The cookies sound great - I'll give the recipes to Fizz and we can try them out. Perhaps you would be so kind as to share a nice stuffing recipe (although I shan't be using it til Christmas) - our stuffings are always a bit stodgy, with the constistency of stiff mashed potatoes...;-(

5:48 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

mmmm i make a superb stuffing... but angie i am ordering up all except the broc corn bread... ad i will get the mushroom meringues to you soon, do try them, they will be a hit

7:46 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Yum-oh!! I hate cooking...but this sounds great!

12:43 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

I look forward with anticipation to future events. (I'm trying to maintain some measure of self-control)

8:37 AM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

I haven't had any breakfast yet and the cookies sound yummy. I can eat a frozen cookie without any problem so that wouldn't help my diet. What diet??

Your menu sounds good and so Southern.

We're going to AZ on the 20th... returning on the 27th. Just enough time to drain my checking account shopping.

Love,
Joni

10:17 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Your menu sounds yummy. I am going to try your brown sugar cookies for Christmas. I am new to your blog but I will be checking back.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home