This is My "Real" Blog: Feels Like I'm Ditching Church


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Feels Like I'm Ditching Church

. . . but I'm not.

This morning, I had no responsibilities. Our College Ministry led our worship services, giving me some much-needed time to reflect. (. . . that wasn't the reason, just the providential result). Anyway, at 10:30, very odd to me, I left church after first service.

I admit it. . . I don't attend a Sunday School class. I can't. I have to be in both services every week. So, rather attend an SS class, and make a slight "spectacle" of myself, I grabbed Caroline out of her class, and headed for the van. (The van which my sweet husband went and got for me -- and brought to the front walk)

So, Caroline and I dropped by Food City for a few things, and headed home. It's 11:30 a.m., there's a chicken roasting in the oven, I've got clothes in the dryer, and Caroline is enjoying the Wiggles' Christmas DVD (yes, again) while I blog.

Church was wonderful this morning. I think it's so important to give these students a chance to do "big church" from time to time--and it's just as important for the 'big church people' to get a glimpse into how this generation is worshipping.

. . .ironically, they did ALL hymns this morning. It was so nice. It was so comforting to my soul. However, when they broke into "It is Well With my Soul," I totally lost it.

"When peace, like a river
Attendeth my way
When sorrows, like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot,
Thou has taught me to say. . .
It is well, it is well with my soul."

That, for those of you who don't know my family, is one of those songs that can send us all into various degrees of tears, as we remember times past where that song has meant so much to us in times of grieving and waiting on God. And this morning, it just reminded me that whatever happens, I'm going to praise Him.

Then, as if God was saying, "You haven't learned this enough, Angie," I was serenaded home to the song, "God Will Make a Way," which is a personal favorite of mine.

"God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my Guide
Hold me closely to His side
With love and strenght for each new day
He will make a way
He will make a way."

I think my favorite phrase in this song is, "He will be my Guide; hold me closely to His side. . ."

There's no place I'd rather be, than held closely to His side. Whether times are good or bad, happy or sad, (little tribute to Al Green there). . . I want to be by His side. Being held closer than I can describe.

So there it is. . .my Sunday morning reflections from the warmth of my home. Still feeling (some) like I'm skipping Church -- even though I was there, and was blessed so much I cried. Well, that's almost a given with me these days.

Have a blessed Sunday. . . .and I mean that! Oh, and one last thing. Beth (and Christy) this one's for you:


Photobucket

4 Comments:

Blogger Alpha Dude said...

Great Hymns. Thanks for the reminders.

Knowing that "God will make a way" is why "It is well with my soul".

Thanks for helping put some focus back into my perspective.

Blessings.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I like the verse that says "Be still, and know that I am God". Sometimes those of us who are involved with the "production" side of church can get caught up in the technicalities. Hitting starting and ending times, hitting notes, not hitting people who are offering "constructive criticism" - the list is endless.

I'm glad you got a chance to worship (as opposed to leading worship, which can still be worshiping), and that you got a chance to be still. And took it.

6:46 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

hi this is hannah... how are you doing? i am organizing our dvds and came to read with my mom. i wanted to say hi so she let me. i usually type letters for her anyway.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing post. Thank you for reminding me of "It is well..." - I forgot how intensely that song impacts me, too. You're awesome.

And thanks for the cartoon - don't get NASCAR, don't think I ever will.

BTW - your post made me think of this song my friend, Camille, wrote. I think it'll bless you:
http://www.willowcreek.com/service.asp?servid=157
Scroll down to "Be Still, My Soul" and click on "Watch"

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home