This is My "Real" Blog: Still Moving. . .and Still Believing


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Still Moving. . .and Still Believing

The process continues. And, as Beth and I decided last night. . . we don't want to go any further than "Plan C!"

Dr. McPersonality called this morning and talked to Mark. (I believe his scheduling nurse actually called) I have a pre-op appointment tomorrow afternoon (yikes - clear the schedules!!) and surgery is scheduled for February 6 - at 6:00 a.m. (I am not a morning person, by the way)

So, it's in order. It's getting done.

In other news. . . .I am an idiot when it comes to geographical location. I need a GPS so bad, I can taste it.

This morning, I attended a Special Events meeting with the City of Knoxville. We are in the (WAY) early stages of planning this year's Buddy Walk. And, as this year's coordinator, it is my responsibility to get all the necessary paperwork filled out, submitted, etc.

No problem. The e-mail said to go to the Knoxville Coliseum. Mark told me to go downtown and follow the signs. I sort of did that. Only, there are a lot of one-way streets in Knoxville, and suddenly I found myself on Interstate 40 - headed toward ASHEVILLE - and drove right past the coliseum.

I nearly cried. I panicked. I drove toward Asheville until I saw a sign that would let me turn around and go back toward Knoxville. I also saw signs that pointed me to the Coliseum. So, I proceeded -- running late -- but I eventually got to the front of the building. . . only it wasn't the front of the building, and the only road toward the parking garage was a one-way street (again) and of course, it was going the opposite direction.

So, I did a u-turn on Hall of Fame Drive, and turned and found the parking garage. By the time I pulled in, I nearly kissed the parking garage attendant full on the mouth because I had arrived at the right place, with four minutes to spare. I parked my car, ran down the steps (well, you know what I mean) and bolted for the front doors. . .which were locked.

I noticed two women walking toward another set of doors. . .the ticket doors. They were open. There was an elevator. And these two lovely women got on the elevator with me. They confirmed that not only was I going to the right place -- but they were two of the organizers, and if they were arriving when I was arriving, I wasn't late.

These two sweet women, and their supervisor, kept a close eye on me through the meeting -- they knew it was my first time -- and made sure that I talked to all the necessary people. When the meeting was over, they congratulated me on surviving it. (Hey, it made me smile)

Then it was back to my van. Found the van. Felt so much better. Got in the van. Started to drive out -- and realized that, to my knowledge, EVERY ENTRANCE/EXIT WAS GATED. I was stuck in the parking garage. I drove around, trying NOT to swear under my breath, and landed on the top of the flipping Coliseum Parking Garage, and couldn't get down.

I finally decided that the only way to get out of there was to do one of two things:

1) Call the police (how was I going to explain THIS?)
2) Drive back down - going against all the arrows.

Friends, there are NO exit arrows on this parking garage. I'm used to the Children's Hospital parking garage, and the Ft. Sanders parking garage -- they have CLEARLY MARKED exit signs (arrows, too). Not a one at the coliseum parking garage.

So, praying that there would be none of those grate things that puncture your tires if you go the wrong way, I went down the up ramps. Every single one I could find. . . until I saw the guard shack where I entered an hour and a half before. The sweet man wasn't in the shack -- and if there hadn't been an exit next to the entrance I would have taken the entrance. But, indeed, there was an exit. I took it. . .and promptly got turned around (yes, again) on one of the one-way streets in my attempt to leave downtown Knoxville as fast as possible.

Bottom line: I am a suburban/rural girl. These bright lights, neon, and flashing arrows amidst the tall buildings scare me. Yes, I grew up in the Chicago area. But my only ventures downtown were with family or field trips.

I thrive in suburbia. I live for carpool lanes. It's all about simplicity . . .and I learned how much I need simplicity today!

One last thing. . . or five, if you're counting. The Beth Moore study "Believing God" has a 5-part commitment/pledge that is a MAJOR part of the study. As I continue through the study, I want to impart some of what God is teaching me. So today, I want to share those five statements with you.

1) God is who He says He is
2) God can do what He says He can do
3) I am who God says I am
4) I can do all things through Christ
5) God's Word is alive and active in me

And finally. . . ."I'm Believing God!" Have a great Thursday!!
Photobucket

5 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

you crack me up more than I crack me up... you and katherine belong in support group together... i am running aroung like crazy today so "talk" to you later...and hey good news about the appt...

11:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG!!! I totally get the driving around downtown! I was supposed to go to my Pampered Chef Christmas party at that restaurant on the river by UT (not Calhoun's, the other one!), and the same thing happened to me w/ the one way streets! Only I never found my way there, and totally missed my party! I got so man and upset, I went to Wal Mart! HA!!! Retail therapy, no? I think I had Christmas shopping to do or something...anyway!

I am continuing praying for you!!! You know you can call anytime! Or if you need a friend to go to an appointment and Mark can't, I'm willing! I have a couple of friends that can take my kids on a moments notice if need be!

Lots of (((((((HUGS)))))))!!!!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Plan C will work out just fine!

And I so hate getting lost or not knowing where I am going. You poor thing....

Here is hoping today is a better day.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Fun story! I'm an urban worker - right downtown, in the high-rent district, for over a decade. I'm comfortable down there. I understand how the one-way streets are laid out (here, they alternate directions). But if you take a wrong turn, or want to JUST OVER THERE when it's the wrong way, it can be incredibly frustrating.

Congrats on a good meeting.

Today's CAPTCHA is Albany, pronounced during a sneeze: alhphfzg

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I am glad you survived and flourished, Angie!

I hate traveling in a city under a deadline.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home