This is My "Real" Blog: I'm Old


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, January 13, 2008

I'm Old

It's official.

Edison survived his first Tennessee Christian Teen Convention. And, although he did not take a shower, we are glad to have him home.

. . .literally, you could "detect" him (smell) in the car. I'm amazed that it didn't wake Caroline from her nap. But, she is a pretty heavy sleeper.

Mark and I went up to Gatlinburg last night, and served on the prayer team for the evening sessions. This meant sitting in a booth, overlooking the convention center -- and praying for the kids, leaders, speakers, musicians, etc. Very neat experience. We were joined by some other friends from church. At the conclusion of the session, we rushed downstairs, and across the floor of the convention center to be "invitation counselors" and pray with kids who made decisions. That was cool, too.

The kids were very well behaved. There were over 2,000 of them in attendance. We got to see old friends, and keep an eye on Edison all at the same time.

However. . .and this is a BIG however. . . I am convinced that in a generation or two, every one of these kids (and their secular counterparts) will be deaf as doorknobs.

At one point, one of the bands started to play, and the windows that we were looking through literally shook from the sheer volume. Seriously. My son, and his entire generation will be deaf. They didn't have a mosh pit, but the kids rushed the stage and screamed like they were at a KISS concert . . . that's all I have to compare it with.

Remember, I'm old. But, there's more.

This morning, in church. . . .our new (well almost) pastor spoke again this week. And, as he was talking, he was trying to point out that we need to make ourselves available to the world around us. Just sitting in the pews (or chairs, in our case) and serving ourselves by worshipping and praying isn't going to do diddly for the world. He hearkened to JFK's infamous speech ". . .ask not what your country can do for you. . .ask what you can do for your country."

But, what Randy said was this:

"How many of you remember hearing and seeing this speech by JFK when it was delivered?"

Simple question. Simple answer. I wasn't born yet.

However, three different members of my worship team. . .my team. . . patted me on the shoulder--gesturing that I surely must remember said speech. Yeah, I guess I am old. . .but I am apparently not as old as my friends think I am.

. . .now, that's sad.
Photobucket

5 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

i am chuckling, thanks for an informative post delivered in your usual witty fashion

3:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Who said that? The knuckleheads!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

You're only as old as you think you are.

Although I do happen to know people who were there when you were born. You can run, but you can't hide.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Great story.....but don't worry...you are not alone!

12:24 AM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

LOL! A guy at work the other day said he had been working in the same building since 1974. I wasn't even born in 1974. He treated me much the same way.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home