This is My "Real" Blog: Total Contradiction - EDITED


Angie's Blog!

Monday, January 07, 2008

Total Contradiction - EDITED

That's me. I contradict myself all the time. But, I think if you follow my logic on this one, you'll see that my heart was in the right place. My head. . . .? Well, that remains to be seen.

I have mentioned a time or two that my 2008 word is "Simplify." I want to simplify my life. This doesn't necessarily mean cutting things out, but rather choosing more carefully and thoughtfully -- the things with which I occupy my time.

However, I am one of those speak-first, contemplate-later kinds of people. Want a couple of examples:

1) At the end of November (long before I decided on my 2008 word, by the way) the role of "Buddy Walk Coordinator" was thrust upon me by this year's BW committee. I had been thinking (privately) that I was interested in taking on the role, but with some serious help from a few of my friends. It's how I get by. . . .

Anywhooo, I brought home the BW Bible, as we call it. I promptly put it on a shelf in my bedroom, because within 3 days of that meeting, I was up to my eyeballs in angel costumes, stuffed sheep, and other children's musical props. I was also planning a retirement reception and the list goes on and on. . .

Last night, while cleaning out my room (which still feels so good) I stumbled across the BW Bible, and a whole host of other DSAG stuff that needs to be sorted, purged, and cleansed from its foolishness. Seizing the opportunity to be organized and purposeful, I am going to read the BW Bible tonight, while the boys are watching the BCS Bowl game. I really don't care who wins (although I have a few opinions)

2) Beginning next Wednesday night, I am leading a Bible study at church on Wednesday evenings for ladies. That's right--I'm not just attending it, I'm the leader. Today, one of my friends e-mailed me to let me know she was signing up, and she called me "Wonder Woman." I deferred the title, because it belongs to my wonderful friend, Jeannette. But still. . . it cracked me up.

For the first time in about 3 years, I will not be working with children on Wednesday nights. Nor will I be responsible for a brief worship service. So, the freedom to lead a study--especially a video series by Beth Moore (one of my all-time favorites) is a joy. It's a privilege.

. . .and, it's going to require me to spend some time each day -- studying and reflecting.

And that's a part of this whole simplification process.

"But Angie," you may ask, "How in the world do you justify the Buddy Walk Coordinatorship with this simplification process as well?"

That one, I'm not sure about. But, I can tell you that the wonderful team that has worked on the BW in the past is still with me. And one of my friends (and co-conspirators) has agreed with me that we need to bring in some "new blood" to the mix. There are a handful of moms that really seem interested in getting "plugged in" to our group. This is an excellent way of doing that very thing. I am hopeful that being more involved in the actual planning of the event will make it less of a frenzy for me, but that's probably totally crazy talk on my part.

I am going to make a real effort to include some people from our church that have lovingly participated in the Buddy Walk each year. I'm going to try and get them to "step up" their involvement by volunteering the day of, rather than just walking around, and enjoying the sights, sounds, smells, and tastes of the Buddy Walk. (And, they'll get a free T-shirt for doing so)

Yes, Steve & Bettie -- that means you, too. If you guys can go ahead and plan to be volunteers with us, you'll get free lodging AND free T-shirts. (yes, like the ones I gave you this Christmas. . .but these will be even better!)

Okay, so I think this post is done. I need to go check on Chatty Cathy, who is supposed to be taking a nap right now. (not so much) She's gone from talking a mile a minute, to being very quiet. That is either a really good sign (sleeping) or a really bad one (playing with biological output).

Either way, pray for me!!


**Edited to add: All was clear. She was just playing with her baby doll and talking. As soon as I walked into her room, she jumped up in bed and said, "I'm awake!!" Sigh.
Photobucket

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope everything is CLEAN over there!! :o)
FYI, Earl and Shachah are going to Philly at the end of January to meet with the CEO from a record label they met during their Nashville excursion. I'll keep you updated! :o)

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I get it, Angie. I follow the logic and get it. Though it may seem like a transfer of one thing for another, it isn't - we are starting a Beth Moore book study - A Heart Like His, I'm very excited!

Hope things are still clean :0)

8:42 PM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

I SURE hope that the quiet means "sleeping child". The alternative is... I'll just leave it at that. I had to feed the cat tonight because Boyd has a meeting and I gagged just opening the can of cat food. Very sensitive nose!!

I love Bible Studies. I should get into a group but haven't lately. You'll be a good leader!
Hugs from the land of thunderstorms and fog (where are the mountains of snow?).
Joni

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering the alternative, "I'm awake!!" is good.

Wish I could join you for Beth Moore-you'll be a great leader.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I think we're going to hold out for free lodging, free T-shirts, and a personal visit with a presidential candidate of our choice.

We can't promise yet. But we'll see.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Biological output...

I was all set to crash on the couch but I made reading your blog my last activity for the (very late) night.

I giggled enough to perk me up just enough to muster the energy for one sudoku before bed! (Thanks!)

1:39 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i had so many (still have actually) many witty quips that some might say i am known for, however, the most important thing to write down is a question: which beth mooore study , i mieught have to see if my WEdnesday's are free.
what woudl you do if i showed up at BW East Knoxville or whatever is it called in your neck o' the woods?

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just start out slowly to simplify. You can't do it all at once.
I am glad everything was fine with Caroline when you went to check on her. I was envisioning a mess for you(lol).

9:06 AM  
Blogger Jeannette said...

Here is a quote for you to add to your arsenal: "Out of clutter, find simplicity" (Albert Einstein). "Simplify" is my word, too. Actually has been for some time but apparently I haven't been able to make it stick. lol

9:10 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i am momentarily blogless, eeeks, you can comment, but i cant post, Tony was changing something, and ran out of time, and now i cant log in...anwyay i have a great post all set to go, mostly about you :)

9:48 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

My goodness how do you do it all? Your house all clean, all the company. Your tour was very nice. You have a lovely home.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Ahh yes .. simplify. Easier said than done. I am sure you will find the right combination. I like your approach...think I might bring some more simple things into my life as well. As for the Princess....is our free afternoon time quickly disappearing???? I am having the same issue...except mine chats to her Beanie Bears. Cheers!

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home