This is My "Real" Blog: The First Step. . .


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, January 06, 2008

The First Step. . .

For me, the first step in any serious undertaking is list-making. You can call it a "to-do" list. You can create it for your significant other, and call it a "Honey-do" list. You can scrawl it on the inside of your palm, the back of a bank envelope, or a dried out baby wipe. Or you can be a real "type-A" person like me and own 14 little purse-sized notebooks; each of which has at least 17 to-do lists contained within.

The type of list, and it's location matter not. For me, the most important step is that crucial first one. . . .making the list.

I sat down last night, in the mood to make my word for 2008 "Simplify" truly my own, and began making a list (or two, if I'm honest) of ways to complete projects.

You see--for me, one aspect of simplification is completion. It means finishing the squillion (I love that term, Melany) projects I have begun, but not complete. Some projects (scrapbooking -- both types) are on-going. I will never finish scrapbooking. It's all about preserving memories, and if each day is spent creating new ones--you can see the proverbial acid-free, lignin-free dog chasing its self-adhesive tail. (so to speak)

But, simplification also means de-complicating my life. Letting go of things that I no longer wish to finish. Quilt patterns that I know I will not create. Sampler patterns, scrapbook idea books, scrapbook supplies. . . anything that's not needed. . . needs to go to a new home

Simplification also means de-cluttering. The past 2 hours have been spent cleaning out and eliminating those 4 of 5 piles of "stuff" that got crammed into drawers on Friday evening - prior to our company coming for a visit. Much of this stuff has been set aside as memorabilia for the family scrapbook. Rather than keep moving it around, it has been put with the rest of the scrapbooking supplies out in the sun room. Sometime, later this week, I am going to categorize said memorabilia, and begin assimiliating it into books as I work on them.

Decluttering tonight also meant returning books, CDs, music, and files to my office that got brought home. There's a Kroger bag full of items that belong in my office. They're going back in the morning when I go to work.

See? It's really not that hard. And, there are other ways to bring about simplification in my life. In the coming days, weeks, and months, we will explore them together--if you stick around!

Future topics include:

Reducing frivolous choices
Time Management
Advance Planning
True separation of work & home

. . . this is gripping stuff, isn't it? Just wait. It's gonna get better.

Oh, and the afghan? No, I didn't finish it. But if you saw the mountain of refuse that has been relocated from my bedroom to parts unknown (the trash) you would understand why I haven't picked up the crochet hook tonight.

I did, however, upload over 400 pictures at Walgreens. Unfortunately, their $ .10 sale only can be used five (5) times. On the sixth go-round, I had to pay $ .15/print. It is still a significant savings. . . . of course, when I pick these pictures up tomorrow, I'll be bringing more "stuff" into the house. What was that about a dog and its tail?!?!

Have a great week!

p.s. Oh, and Steve . . . . you know, your comment on the last entry is probably (sorta) right. This new (potential) boss is much more techno-savvy than my former boss. (This one makes his own power point slides!!!) However, if he gets to this point, and gets to know me. . . he will figure out that I really prefer DIET COKE (catch that, everyone?) DIET COKE to Starbucks. (hee, hee)
Photobucket

7 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

As long as that future boss doesn't start throwing bottles of DIET COKE at you, you'll be fine.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

I'm a real list-girl too, but I can't say I've ever written one on a dried baby wipe! LOL

I do however, usually have a Sharpie marker and a pad of post-it notes somewhere nearby.

Oh and the whiteboard...it has been such a blessing! Reminders and notes; even my dear sweet husband has been writing down items that we've run out of!

I had to make a list for tomorrow to remind myself of what stuff I need to get the kids to the sitter and Carter to school!

Hugs,

Melly :)

12:51 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

hmmmmm, it seems you are more of an arthur than you care to admit... this looks like writing about the word to me, but hey what do i know, i am not even writign about my word....

9:00 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

but all kidding aside, you did actually do some of things you wrote about, so kudos to you, maybe i can write about your word

9:04 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

hmmm.... sounds complicated. It seems to me it would be less so if you just let the crap pile up?

9:24 AM  
Blogger Jeannette said...

Good stuff! And very well put. I will definitely be tuning in regularly for new insights as you get them....same Bat time, same Bat channel? lol

9:16 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

I plan on sticking around...this is good stuff Angie. Keep it coming.

(((HUGS)))

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home