This is My "Real" Blog: Off to the Races!! [edited]


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Off to the Races!! [edited]

I promise to blog all about it. I know, you can't wait to hear what I thought of the Daytona 500.

I can tell you now. . . it's gonna rock!


Edited to add:

Phew! There are so many things to write about the race. I'll use bullet points, as I am tired, and ready to read a "Stampin Up" catalog before going to bed!

*Michael McDonald in the pre-race show? Absolutely DEElicious!! Melany even called me from CANADA because she knew I was watching the race, and because HE was singing. She said he was singing to me. (I know in my heart, it's true) And, when he blew that kiss at the end of "Taking it to the Streets?" According to my beautiful son, it was for me. (My heart's still beating to the rhythm of that song!)

*The new commercials? Better than the Super Bowl. And, the commercial where Dale Jarret hangs up the truck keys??? Well, I knew it was coming. . . but I still almost cried.

*Speaking of crying. . . .when they did the year-by-year retrospective, and Darryl Waltrip got to talking about Dale, Sr., and got choked up? HELLO! I was a little misty-eyed, too. (Have I mentioned that our princess shares a birthday with the Intimidator? It's true)

*My brother-in-law (the fave) has already posted a comment about this. It was a clean race. I was really sweating it out there--because it looked like Kyle Busch was going to walk away with the trophy. (I don't like Kyle or his obnoxious brother, Kurt) So, PHEW on neither of them winning.

*Did I nearly faint from excitement when Jeff Burton led laps there at the end? Of course. Was I disappointed that he didn't win? Of course. But, it was all good.

*The experience of watching the race in Hi-Def was nice. I don't know that it was that much more spectacular than watching it at home in my PJs, but it was loads of fun getting together with Lee & Beth and Barry & Kathy. Awesome food, too.

*Finally, watching Ryan Newman win -- and watching what I presume was his Mom crying in Victory Lane? Those things are just special. I like Ryan. I always have. I guess I like the idea that a Midwestern "geek" could get in a racecar, and make millions of dollars--and be a clean-cut kind of guy. (The fact that I assisted with the funeral of one of his former pit crew members also makes me sentimental. I know -- if we really can see things on earth from Heaven -- Ralph Marley is one happy, happy man right now!)

So there it is. My post-race wrapup. And with that, I'm going to take myself off to parts unknown in my house. It's quiet, warm, peaceful, and like I said, there's a "Stampin' Up" catalog waiting for me to start drooling over its contents.

Happy Daytona Day!!
Photobucket

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The Toyota commercial with the kids running the cars w/ remote controls...HYSTERICAL!!!!!!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Neat race. Surprisingly clean - even the big accidents were small. they're still learning to handle the Car Of Tomorrow, knowing how to drive it, understanding the strategies.

Stewart didn't win - a 2-car train beats one car by a long shot - but he did pretty well.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Okay, so I'm lost on the commercials since I was watching the race on TSN (Canadian channel). Duh. I should have watched it on Fox.

Love your commentary on the race; every detail. Especially CANADA in capital letters. Hee.

Glad you had a great day!

Huges,

Melly :)

9:17 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

Sugah... I have no ideeee what yoeu talkin' bout... but i love the way you write... and the food from the previous post sounds delish

9:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

SHUT UP!!! Ralph was a former member of his pit crew?!?!?! I did not know that!!!!! That's really cool!

10:25 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

There was a race?

9:31 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

And what's this "NASCAR" of which you speak?

11:30 AM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

I know nothing about racing... So afraid someone's going to get hurt.

Glad you had fun!!

And tell us about the new crescent roll goodies... recipe please! NOW those sounded good!!

Joni

12:57 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

I missed most of the pre-race stuff, but saw MM starting "Taking it to the streets". And my first thought was "What's his sound man doing? There's no keyboard in the mix at all!!".

It's all a matter of perspective. I guess.

And PS: I didn't think he was singing to me.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had lots of fun.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home