This is My "Real" Blog: I'm the Favorite


Angie's Blog!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I'm the Favorite

You may have noticed in recent posts, I have referred to my brother in law as my "favorite brother-in-law." This is kind of a play on words that he and I have been bantering back and forth since sometime this past fall, when I referred to Caroline as his favorite niece.

Let's get some facts straight:
  • She is his favorite.
  • I have also referred to myself as his favorite sister in law.
  • And again, I am right.
  • Steve has another sister-in-law...two, actually.
  • I'm his favorite
  • Steve has other nieces. . . two, that I can think of immediately.
  • Caroline's his favorite.
[Side note: If Melany was writing this blog entry, all references would be favourite. But that is another discussion from another country for another time.]

He even refers to me as the favorite sister in law on his blog, but that's getting too bogged down in details. (Go ahead, check the link. You know you want to!)

But all this batting around of the word "favorite" has caused me to do some googling. (I love that it's now a verb!) Here are a few references I found. The first is a search I performed on google that took me to Wikipedia. Just putting in the word "favorite."

Favorite (US English) or favourite (British English) means: Favorite, the intimate companion of a ruler or other important person, with or without a sexual element in the relationship. Favorite is also often used in races and competitions when referring to the competitor (i.e., horse, actress, player, team, etc.) having the best chance of winning.

Favorite is also:
A bookmark in Microsoft Internet Explorer
A chateau in Ludwigsburg, Germany (see Favorite Ludwigsburg)
La Favorite is a French Opera by Donzinetti
A fast food chain in the UK and overseas (see Favorite Chicken)
A customize effect in Final Cut Pro
A small town in Germany

Then I googled "God's Favorite" (No, I don't know why I chose that. . I just did)

God's Favorite is a play by Neil Simon, loosely based on the Biblical Book of Job. It was published in 1974. The setting of the play is a Long Island mansion, where dwells a pious, God-fearing tycoon named Joe Benjamin and his family: a long-suffering wife, Rose, a prodigal son, David, a pair of kooky twins, Ben and Sarah, and the maid and butler, Mady and Morris. One night a messenger from God, Sidney Lipton (with a big G on his sweatshirt) arrives, and, as in the biblical story, goes through all manner of temptations to get Joe Benjamin to renounce God. When he refuses, he is visited by all the afflictions imaginable. He stands firm and the messenger has to admit defeat.

I have never heard of this play, but I certainly want to see it. Sounds hilarious to me--but very pointed.

So why all this talk of favorites? Oh, I don't know. Maybe it's because the idea of being a favorite makes one stand out among the throngs of other favorite wannabes. Maybe it's because deep down, we all want to be someone's favorite. Maybe it's because we casually throw this word around as much as we throw around words like love and hate.

I don't know. Maybe it's really because my favorite husband (my one and only) just reminded me that my favorite pretend celebrity boyfriend (again, my one and only) is on in two minutes.

I don't know. Maybe I just wanted to write something different, and I'm hoping you'll bookmark or "favorite" it because you liked it too. . . .?

I will share one of my new favorite songs. And yes it IS because it stands out among a lot of other songs. And, what do you know. . . it ties into the overall theme of this blog entry too. (But then, you knew I was going to do that, didn't you?)

It's called "Friend of God" and it's a song our worship band is quickly incorporating into the regular rotation. (We're debuting it next Sunday) As I looked for it, I came across this writing. I really like it:

"God created you in His image so that so that He could have a personal relationship with you.
God is seeking an intimate heart to heart relationship with you.
There are some very good parents that have friendship with their children, while still being parents.
God is your Father but He desires friendship with you also.
(James 2:23 NKJV)
And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.'
And he was called the friend of God."
Here are the words:
Who am I that You are mindful of me
That You hear me when I call
Is it true that You are thinking of me
How You love me. . . it's amazing
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
He calls me friend
God Almighty, Lord of Glory
You have called me friend
If you want to watch the song writer sing it in a concert setting, click here. It's amazing. (We don't sound quite that good, by the way!)
Photobucket

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It really is a great song!

1:08 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

amazing video... thanks..
and onto favorites... I have alwaycs told the kids they are my favorites...not they are ALL my favoritecs, but individually i tell them ,pssssst dont tell them but you are so my favorite... long ago my mother shared a Ann Landers column a letter from a mom to three kids, dear oldest child... you were always my favorite b/c... dear middle child you were always my fave b/c.... dear youngest child..... it impacted me long before i had children.... and it is so veriy true, there are moments when the child before is so shining, that I have eyes only for them... oh i have so much more to say on this subject... but i have valentiens to get readiy for teachers. later gator

7:49 AM  
Blogger Mark Aubrey said...

Good thing that your other brother-in-law doesn't read this blog on a regular basis. I'm sure his feelings would be hurt. Probably not.

Signed,

Your husband and you're parent's second favorite son-in-law

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day to my favorite new bloggger on my daily "drop by" list!!!!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day Angie. I am blessed to have found such a wonderful "blogging" friend.
You have a wonderful day with your family.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Karin's Korner said...

Happy Valentines Day Angie. Here I was sitting here thinking that when you googled God's Favorite, it would come up with my name. Bless you and your family.

1:22 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

more comments on being a favorite... melinda's friend elisha has a screen name of Gods Favorite... and my very own personal verse is
Others died that you might live. I traded their lives for yours because you are precious to me. You are honored, and I love you.

if that does not mean i am his favorite ... what does?
and happy valentines day to you a super favorite friend

2:46 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

What a fascinating entry....certainly a favourite (british spelling!) of mine! Happy Friday to you dear friend.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

Way Awesome.
Thanks for posting the words to my favorite song. It goes weel with my post on "me and God...."
(t-shirts to match!)

Hope you are having a wonderful day!

Blessings.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

Yeah....it goes WELL, too.

Oy.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home