This is My "Real" Blog: B-r-r-r-r-ing! and BLING!


Angie's Blog!

Friday, February 08, 2008

B-r-r-r-r-ing! and BLING!

One I want; the other I got. [cryptic enough for you, Helen?] Okay, let me explain:
1) Br-r-r-r-ring! That would be the sound of my phone. . .ringing to indicate some form of test results. Unfortunately, the phone isn't ringing, or hasn't rung, yet. I called the doctor's office while as we were leaving the mall. No results, yet. I will try one more time, this afternoon. Then, after that, I'll wait until Monday. It's the weekend. (Naturally, it would be this way for me!)

2) BLING!
I don't believe I've posted about this yet. It's kind of sad, actually. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my engagement ring had broken. The band snapped at the back of the ring. And, if I'm honest, this modest ring has been through the wringer (so to speak) with me. I am rough on jewelry. I do a lot of work with my hands, and because of that, the ring had weakened and cracked over time (nearly 19 years).

Since we're (kind of) believers in recycling, we talked about taking the original stone out of the first ring, and putting it into a new setting. I really like the 3-stone settings. And since there's Mark and two kids, it would be a precious setting to have in an engagement or anniversary-type ring.

Mark asked one of the drummers in our worship bands about jewelry stores, since we knew he had worked at one. He recommended Kay Jewelers. And, today, while happily munching on Chick-Fil-A sandwiches at the mall, I noticed that the Kay Jewelers was nearly within spitting distance of the Food Court.

I just suggested that we might walk over there after lunch--to see what they've got, and to get some kind of idea what we'd be talking about, if we converted my old diamond into a new setting. So, I walked over to Kay's while Mark changed Caroline's pants at the mall. (I still can't lift her. . .shucks) I talked to the salesperson, who assumed (incorrectly) that I had the broken ring with me. (That would have really been thinking ahead on my part -- not so lucky!) But, when Mark arrived in the store, we (sales gal and me) had figured out that it would be a more economical option to have the old diamond set into a pendant or some other ring -- and that a new ring would be (ironically) more economical.

She was right, actually, and (drum roll, please). . . . . I came home with a new 3-stone engagement ring. It's beautiful. And yes, when Mark gave it to me in the car, I started to cry. (Who'd have thought)

I think it's just the culmination of some very emotionally charged days and weeks. I have seen and benefitted from Mark's standing strong in the midst of fear, trial, frustration, and heartache over the past three or four weeks. He has kept things running smoothly for me (for a lot longer than 3 weeks) and has helped me maintain some sense of "normalcy" when everything else around me was spinning out of control.

So, even though I practically picked out this ring for myself, and he picked up the tab, I felt like I was being asked--all over again--to marry the most wonderful guy on the planet. And, just like August, 1989, you'll find me catching a glimpse of this new, beautiful ring, and staring at it for no apparent reason, other than it getting caught in the light.

Oh. . . and the best part of all? (Well, other than the fact that it's MINE???) I've lost enough weight that I was literally able to wear it home, rather than having it be re-sized. This is a good day. A very good day.

Now, if that phone would just ring. . . . .


































Oh! You wanted to see a picture? Well, allright. Here you go:

I really don't have the world's most attractive hands. . . but I'll gladly "bare them" to you, in order to show you my new ring. (Praise God it's not a toe ring!)

Photobucket

9 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

are you sure you are able to lift your hand with that gorgeous big ring???? just like in 1989 you better be showing it off to your BFF (s)... love you

3:52 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Just heard some very good news. Congrats!

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool!!! I must say though, in your post-procedure condition, you shouldn't be lifting such heavy items! :o) maybe i'll send earl over here to get some ideas before our anniversary... hahaha

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day...blog post title could have been Ring Ring...!

It's a beautiful ring and I'm glad you finally got a ring from the doctor too. I felt to blessed when I got your email!

Please apologize to Mark for me; when I called you (from work) I was on my cell phone and the work phone was ringing when he was calling you to the phone so I likely sounded all crazy when I was talking into two phones simultaneously!

What a blessed day! Congratulations on your all-new engagement...here's to another 19(+manymanymore) years!!!

Love you!

Melly :)

5:03 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Hey Fred! aka Flinstone...I bared my feet for the whole world to see! LOL! Briiiinnnggg and bling.....LOVE the bling...sweet story.....and some great bling there!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Ah, That is AWESOME Angie! It is gorgeous!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

BEEE-you-tee-ful! Congrats Angie!

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, that is so beautiful.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Me said...

You have brought tears to my heart and my eyes! I am so happy for you not just for the wonderful test results but for the blessing that our AWESOME LORD has given all of us! What great test results! I have my mamogram on the 21st. With everyone in my family... 2 survivors of breast cancer and then my sister, I have been having mamograms for 8 years now. The first one always come back that I need to be retested. The second one has always come back clean. So I always keep my fingers crossed.

Blessings to you!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home