This is My "Real" Blog: YUM -- Lemon Chicken!! - Edited to add a PICTURE!!!!


Angie's Blog!

Monday, April 14, 2008

YUM -- Lemon Chicken!! - Edited to add a PICTURE!!!!

I'm posting a recipe because, frankly, I'm sneezing my fool head off, and by the time my kids go to bed (God, please make it soon!) I will not be in any shape to blog. ::hee::

Even as I type, my kitchen (and the rest of my house) smells heavenly because of Lemon Chicken. I'm not claiming to be the Pioneer Woman -- and I'm certainly not going to post pictures of said chicken from stage 1 to stage 14, but I will share my recipe. Here you go:

Lemon Chicken (serves lots of happy people)

Chicken (duh)
Lemons (again, duh)
1 onion
1 stick butter (or butter + olive oil to equal 1/2 cup)
garlic
thyme
cooking oil
salt & pepper

Here's what you do. . . .brown your chicken pieces (I use bone & skin-on breasts) in the butter (or oil & butter combo). Do not cook the chicken completely, but get the skin (flip it over, too) brownish.

I put my browned chicken breasts into my Pampered Chef Deep Dish Baker/Bowl combo. However, I have also put this into a 13x9 pyrex dish. I just like the bowl/baker combo.

Over the semi-cooked chicken, pour this mixture:

1 clove of garlic (mashed with 1 t. salt) **
1 cup lemon juice (fresh is best -- but you can use bottled)
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 T thyme (whole, not powdered)
1/2 t. pepper
1 cut up onion

**you can use that pre-minced garlic (I do) and it works just fine.

Once you pour this "goo" over the chicken, you either need to put a lid on the pot and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. OR. . . .you can put it back in the skillet and cover it and cook it over medium heat for an hour. I like the baking option.


I usually serve this with couscous, oven roasted potatoes and carrots, or (tonight) Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice. YUM.

Tonight I'm making the rice, a green salad, and cooked broccoli. I'll probably make the boys some corn muffins, too. We'll see. It depends on how "strong" I feel. I love bread, and all bread-related products. Though they're not illegal on Weight Watchers, per se, they do use up points that could be spent on "other" items. . . like cooked chicken, fruit, or high-fiber veggies.

Also? I've found a new treat that is very tasty, indeed. They're Weight Watchers cookies. I bought two boxes of the Soft Oatmeal Raisin cookies that only have one point each. They're a fairly thick cookie. They're not as filling as those "breakfast cookies" but they'll do in a pinch.

I guess that's all for today. As I mentioned previously, the sneezing and sniffling are driving me crazy. So, dinner will be followed by a 2-Benadryl "cocktail" which will hopefully lead to some peaceful slumber.

Happy Sleeping (and not sneezing) Everyone!!

Oh. . . I almost forgot two monumental things.

1) We're supposed to have a hard freeze tonight. People are pulling up plants (Dad) and bringing them inside. You'd think this was Canada, or something.

2) The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I'm not sure how many of you were able to watch it. (We did tape it, Beth & company) It was very good. If you've read the book *and* watched the movie, you undoubtedly noticed how they left major portions out. They only had two hours -- the omissions made sense.

What I didn't remember, however, was the utter destruction of their marriage (infidelity included). Sorry for that spoiler. But, I panicked a little when I realized (mid-movie) that I had sent a notice out to our church -- encouraging people to watch the movie. I'm still employed, so that's a good thing--I had a slight panic attack! : )

However, I think I did a dis-service to anyone for whom I recommended the movie, if I gave them the impression that it was all about a child with Down syndrome. And, if I'm honest, I think I leaned more toward the Ds aspects of the story, rather than the destruction of a family because of lies and deception.

(By the way, my house smells amazing right now)

But, as a parent of a child with Down syndrome, I was amazed, impressed, overjoyed, and excited to see my child's "condition" shown in such a positive light. AND. . .to see an actress with Down syndrome do such a remarkable job in her role.

So. . . would I recommend it again? Yeah. But, I probably would 'pick and choose' the recipients from our church family. And, I'd try to be a little bit more realistic about the plot of the movie/book. I guess I got sidetracked because this particular LifetimeTV movie wasn't about an abused wife, drug addict, or runaway teenage girl! : )
Photobucket

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught the end of the movie, but purchased the book Saturday afternoon. I plan on starting it soon.

I bawled my eyes out at the ending. Just bawled... But then I bowled from my experience growing up with a brother born with DS.

Thanks for the words of encouragement today. Just one of those days I really feel... well... human! This too shall pass!

I'll be over at 6pm with a plate for some chicken! LOL! Sounds delish!

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll keep an eye out for that movie (or the book). ;)

That chicken recipe sounds right up my alley. I was thinking of making Ree's chicken soup tomorrow...but me thinks I'll have to do this one first. Seeing as I have three thyme plants begging me to use them. Also? I LOVE fresh thyme (especially my lemon thyme variety....talk about yummers!).

6:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

did you fix extras on that chicken??? And go you on the plug for Pampered Chef! Hee hee!!!

The movie WAS good...much better than some of your run-of-the-mill Lifetime movies...I still want to check out the book too

6:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

YUM!!!! That is a recipe I will be trying VERY soon! I nearly grabbed a bag of chicken tonight!

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched...cleared my schedule and all....it was really good. i was gasping for air at the moment of realization, it was so powerful.
chicken looks great...i'll have to try that now that i have more time. (i actually got home *just* before 7, instead of 10:15!!)
Praise the Lord!

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That chicken looks great, I'm going to have to try it.
I didn't get a chance to watch it, darn.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

Dang, that sounds great and easy...

going into my "to-cook" file

well done

8:06 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i am so sick, sneezing , drippy eyes, sore throat, ear ache the works... and so i am reading in a fog... "usually serve this with couscous, oven roasted potatoes and carrots, or (tonight) Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice. YUM.
" which i read that you serve with all of those things, and i thought, wow they sure like the starch portion of the meal... not judging mind you, i was actually thinking i could seriously enjoy meals at your house

1:20 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

please mail said film to me... please

1:21 PM  
Blogger Heather J. said...

The chicken looks marvelous!

The movie was quite good, I watched it with the girls. We all cried and we smiled and we talked about the children and adult we know with Downs.

My children could not fathom not wanting a child because of Downs or any other reason. I loved that they were so touched by the movie.

Thanks for the recomendation, at no time did I feel you misrepresented the movie.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just have to let you know I did cook the chicken & lemon/thyme and it was scrumptious.

The only thing I left out was the oil...since I left the skin on the chicken and I'm kinda trying to lose my extra-wide-load;).

It really was delish. It's definitely becoming a regular dish in our house:)!

6:08 AM  
Blogger Cooksalot said...

OH! YUM! Never mind that your not Ree. The recipe sounds mouth watering. I just may try it this Sunday for the Home Group Meeting. Since we eat before study.

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home