This is My "Real" Blog: I Swear, if I Start Hearing "On the Wings of Love. . . "


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, July 20, 2008

I Swear, if I Start Hearing "On the Wings of Love. . . "

Seriously.

About an hour ago, I was sitting at the kitchen table, talking to Mark, when I hear something. A whistle? A flute?

Nope.

A recorder.

You know, the kind we all got in 4th grade. The thin, taupe instruments of death that made our parents wish that they have blasted the radio even louder when they were teenagers.

You guessed it. It was Edison. . .playing the recorder. . . (sigh).

I bought the blasted thing for him when I was homeschooling him, and didn't know any better. It did have one benefit, however. When we enrolled him in school, and it was time to go out and buy recorders, we already had one. (It was still gathering dust inside the thin, vinyl protective sleeve-thingie.)

But today. . . of all days. . . the LORD'S day. . .Edison decides that it's time to hone his skills on a recorder.

I don't know if I have the strength to live through too many self-imposed recorder sessions.

My title? Well, it's somewhat cryptic to those of you who don't watch the Office. But, on one memorable episode, a bird flies into a glass door, and is injured. It's dead. They hold a funeral for the bird. . . and the highlight of the funeral is the song, "On the Wings of Love" sung by Pam--accompanied by Dwight on the recorder.

. . . Yeah. I guess you have to kinda be there to find it truly funny.
Photobucket

9 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

LOL....Den bought Hugh one the other day...I am with ya sister!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Jennilu said...

I have one better - when I was in college, as an Elementary Education major, I had to take a Music for the Child class. In this class, I had to learn how to read sheet music and play the recorder. Imagine the joy of my roommate and all the other girls in the dorm when I was practicing Hot Crossed Buns for the one millionth time.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Silly geek that I am - I thought it was an MP3 recorder.

Seriously, I had one of those for a short while in grade school. Didn't do much with it. I think the music-playing genes in our family went to Mark instead of me.

There's hope for your situation with Edison. "You play it, you eat it." I think he'll switch over to something different. Or maybe you could buy him the electronic version so he can just pipe out the sound to his ears (and his only). Just a thought . . .

9:32 PM  
Blogger Jake said...

Haha! I'm a huge office fan! I laughed so hard at that part.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in fourth grade, the whole fourth grade circled around the gym (about 100 of us) and played Jolly Old St. Nicholas -- among other similar tunes -- to the DELIGHT of our families. The acoustics were mahavalous. And I totally love the office!!!!

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've had a few of those floating around here at one time. No matter how well they mastered it, the sound still grated on my nerves.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took violin in elementary school. I was so good that I had to practice in the bathroom!...LOL!

9:43 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

hmmm here in Thunder Bay, kids get recorder in elementary school, ukulele in middle school... between the two younger ones we have concerts round the clock,,, but the highlight was Katherine grade nine... learning the trumpet

9:51 AM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

I LOVE The Office and that episode is HYSTERICAL.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home