This is My "Real" Blog: I'm Kicking Myself for not Answering the Phone!


Angie's Blog!

Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm Kicking Myself for not Answering the Phone!

Yeah, the rumors you've heard are true. John McCain called me first. . . I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the phone number on my caller ID.

Ha!

Please bear with me as I attempt to put my genuine reaction to Sarah Palin's name being on the ticket for the Republican party into clear, coherent words.

Let me begin by saying that I am totally impressed by her resume -- spiritually, personally, academically, and politically. And, although I didn't get to hear her speech in its entirety -- Dude, she rocked.

However, this is one of those situations where I am a little nervous at the spotlight that may be shed on the Down syndrome community. I mean. . .the Phil Williams show has only been on for 48 minutes today (local talk show -- follows Rush Limbaugh) and I've heard the term "mongoloid" and "special needs" bantered around at least twice.

As cool as I think it is for a woman to be on the ticket. . .and as cool as I think it is that she and I are the same age. . . and as cool as I think it is that her son and my daughter share a special genetic connection. . . I'm feeling a little "skittish" about this news.

And, of course, I've been getting emails, notes on Facebook, and phone calls. Don't get me wrong--I'm not upset about them. Thanks, everyone.

But, I guess I'm leery of people assuming that the entire Down syndrome community (caretakers, family, etc.) is going to jump on the McCain/Palin bandwagon just because she has a family member with Down syndrome.

. . . need I remind everyone that the Kennedy/Shriver family has their hands deeply involved in Special Olympics because of a family member with Down syndrome?

. . .and there's congresswoman in Washington State whose son has Ds. And if memory serves, she's a democrat.

So, Sarah Palin isn't a "lock" for me -- just because her beautiful son has Ds.

These things . . . the fact that she's a Christian. . .a member of the NRA. . . a supporter of the troops. . .a successful businesswoman. . .an avid hunter & fishing enthusiast. . . and a butt-kicking mother of FIVE kids. . . a woman who's not afraid to shine the light on corruption (even when her family might be involved). . . .now those are some things that might get me excited.

So, yes, this is a monumental day. She's not the first woman to be on a ticket. . .but she's definitely turning heads. And, if it helps to advance the realization of the JOY of raising a child with Down syndrome. . .and helps us wave the banner of their abilities not their disabilities. . . well, that's just gonna be the icing on the red, white, and blue cake!

















I have, however wondered (with a sneering grin on my face) what Ms. Clinton said when the news reached her.
Photobucket

7 Comments:

Blogger Hilah said...

i really need to start watching channels other than Food, TVLand, TBS, and Nick @ Nite so that I don't find out my politics news from other people's facebooks...anyhow, i like your take on this even though i have avoided the whole political scene this time around

4:07 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Gonna be an interesting ride, that's for sure.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I didn't figure that was the only thing that would catch your attention...nor was it the only one that caught mine...but I did think it would perk your interest :) On paper she sounds great...I'm anxious to hear more!

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I twitched when Catherin Howell used the m word. I am not a Catherine Howell fan in the first place, however, the context in which she was speaking was that 30-some years ago, it was merely a word of identification. But, being Catherine, she didn't make that distinction really clear, although she was just quoting the biddies of her mother's day.

Do you fear the opposition will be rude?

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the fact that out of all the folks she has executive experience!

Im actually genuinely excited!

9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally with you on this one....and she's a HOCKEY MOM!
:0

11:35 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

hockey mom? now that is something!!! if it were not for her running mate i might get really excited, oh well.... i like what you wrote here angie very insightful... kudos

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home