This is My "Real" Blog: When all else fails? Google it!


Angie's Blog!

Friday, October 24, 2008

When all else fails? Google it!

Last night, I decided that tacos were in order. However, I did NOT have a bottle of taco sauce, nor did I have a packet of taco seasoning. What is a girl to do? Go to the internet. Google "Taco Seasoning Recipe" and look around until you find one you think you can live with.

Here's one I found:

Taco Seasoning Mix -- Makes 1 serving

6 teaspoons chili powder
5 teaspoons paprika
4 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
teaspoons onion powder
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

This actually makes more than you need for one recipe.

I made 1.5 lbs of ground beef, and used about 2/3 of this mix. I added 1 - 1 1/2 c. water to the mix. I started with 1/2 cup of water, and kept adding until the consistency was right. And. . .it needed a pinch more salt.

(Sorry, had to step away, there were cultists at my door -- hoping to swing me away. No such luck boys, move on!)

My buddy Lois (link on the right) says that I could have added oregano. She's right! Next time I'll put a 1/4 teaspoon or so in the mix, as well.

This is really tasty stuff! Edison loved it (for what that's worth)

Here's another recipe that has been requested. I usually make it around the holidays. It is one of those things that can be bundled into little baggies and put in teacher gifts. Good stuff -- it is a favorite of my dad's -- although he's really NOT supposed to eat it (lots of sugar).

Quaker Oat Praline Crunch

1 - 16 oz. pkg. of Quaker Oat Squares
2 c. pecan pieces
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. butter or margarine
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. baking soda

Heat oven to 250 degrees. Combine cereal and pecans in 9x13 pan. Set aside.

Combine syrup, brown sugar, and butter in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 90 seconds. Stir. Microwave 1 minute more.

Remove from microwave and stir in vanilla & baking soda. Pour over cereal and nut mixture. Stir to evenly coat. Bake 1 hour -- stirring every 20 minutes. When finished baking, spread on baking sheet to cool. When cool, break into pieces.

Enjoy!


I was hoping to share some "Fall Break" pictures with you, as Caroline is on break this weekend. (She has Friday off -- that's all) So far this morning, we have played with Little People, gone potty on her chair, had to change a pull up for the "other" type of biological hazard, and now she's sitting in Mark's recliner -- reading books out loud. Such fun. So much energy.

I need a nap.
Photobucket

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, oregano will do the trick.

The rain is coming. I promise. Enjoy the rest of your day. I'm going to curl up (still in jammies), read a book, and catch up on my soaps.

It's that kind of day. Might even have a big old cup of tea, too!

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, I'm the queen of google. I can't live without google.

what *DID* we do without Google?

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. I have everything on hand for both!
Glad you are having some 'girl' time. Makes me envious!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Hilah said...

"biological hazard"...hmm that's a new term. i just might have to use that the next time i have to refer to...well....

6:45 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Angie for President! Anybody who advocates taking a nap gets my vote.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home