This is My "Real" Blog: Busy Week, Random Thoughts


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, November 06, 2008

Busy Week, Random Thoughts

Here goes. . .
Once again, I find myself in the midst of a very busy week. Sorry for the lack of posts. Some of my quiet is on purpose. I'm still mulling this whole political process. And I know I'm not alone.

It breaks my heart that politics divide rather than unify. And it's not worth your time typing or talking to say that either candidate is about unity. If that were the case, we'd be seeing other things play out. . . and let's just leave it at that.

There are opinion polls.
There are blog entries.
There are media sources.
There are newspaper articles.
There are statistics.
There are trends.

Bottom line. . . there is a God-shaped void in every human heart that is not fully surrendered to Jesus. Politicians, celebrities, world leaders, everyday "Joes" can claim to be Christians. Heck, I claim to be one. But the ongoing challenge of being a faithful Christ-follower is not easy.

Personally, I'm tired of political talk. I'm tired of hearing what people think about the candidates, process, current leadership, and various conspiracy theories. I'm even kind of tired of hearing people say, "Well, it's allright. God is in control." And yes, I know -- I've said that myself. It's almost like saying that makes it allright to be disappointed. . .or bitter. If "God is in control" is said in the same breath where cynicism and anger are uttered, is God really honored by that statement? I wonder.

Unity in the body?
Members of an infamous (or notorious) church in the midwest are scheduled to arrive in our area to protest at the funerals of four young cheerleaders who died in a car accident a week or so ago. These people who DEFAME the name of Christ have this "habit" of showing up at funerals for soldiers who died in the line of duty. They've obviously got an agenda -- and grace, love, and mercy seem to have no part in that agenda. That, my friends, makes me sick at my stomach.

And their reason? To the best of my knowledge, they are going to demonstrate because they believe the death of a young person is God's retribution for the sins of the state of Tennessee.

Now, speaking for my current state of residence, we are not perfect. But, I hardly think that God was punishing these girls, the driver of a car, and an unborn baby for the state's sins.

Besides. . .
Someone died for our sins.
The debt has been paid.
In full.

And yet, again, I tell myself God is in control. But, as I meditate on it, I cannot help but think of these people who, in the name of God, are spewing hatred and negativity to grieving parents, friends, and communities. And when I think about the fact that Jesus loves them, and died for them, I realize I'm no better in my thoughts of them.

So, there you've got my thoughts for today.

I wish I had a funny story.
I wish I had pictures to share.
Instead, you got a little piece of my heart.


Do with it what you will. . . .
Photobucket

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? They're coming to protest at the funerals? OY!

Ya know...When I used to go to church we sung a hymn "and they know we are Christians by our love..."

That is not love. It's sad...and sick.

I understnad the quiet contemplation.

5:08 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

aw angie, thanks for the piece of your heart... such a display and demonstration must hurt so many people ... and you are right about that "God is control" statement...

6:15 PM  
Blogger Hilah said...

Angie, I don't even know what to say in response to this. You have written clearly and articulated my own thoughts and feelings about these issues very well. It's such a blessing to know you.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Piece of heart out, peace of heart back.

God's cool.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

i just recently learned about that "church", if they can in fact be called that! makes no sense how they protest anybody's death as being a punishment for sins. it irritates me to no end how these kinds of hateful people put a bad light on the rest of us church-going folk who believe in spreading a message of love and forgiveness vs. condemnation and hatred. what really blew my mind was when i read that they protested the deaths of those five amish girls killed in the school shooting in PA. truly sad.

2:26 AM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

Did you hear any news about if they actually SHOWED UP to protest? That particular "church" talks a lot of smack but rarely shows.

God, they are awful, awful people.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home