This is My "Real" Blog: Signing Off. . . .


Angie's Blog!

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Signing Off. . . .

That's right.  
I'm pulling the plug on the blog.



















. . . but it's just for seven days!

Our church is going to go "unplugged" for a week.  It's a chance for families to spend time together -- abandoning all electronic devices (mp3, TV, CD, computers, Wiis. . . .Facebooks -- I'm shuddering here -- blogs, etc.).  I'm trying to remain positive about it -- but right now, I'm already facing withdrawal symptoms like nobody's business.

Those of us who rely on electronics for work (computers/email) will not have to go cold turkey there -- but it's those opportunities for family togetherness that we're trying to encourage people to take advantage of this week.  And yes, we *do* have a school holiday on Monday.  There is no restriction on cameras. . . so as we *enjoy* all of this quality family time (said through clenched teeth) I'll be taking lots of pictures.  

(I'm actually hoping to scrapbook some of those pictures after the kids go to bed)  What else am I planning for my "amish" week?

--new baby afghan for one of my readers (Hi Laura!  Act surprised when it gets there)
--finish Mom's table runner
--finish quilting Caroline's quilt (big maybe, but I'll have time. . . sigh)
--sort out extra clothes/toys for Goodwill
--bake bread for friends & neighbors
--read a couple books
--whatever else we think of to pass the time.  

Hold on there. . . . .

Our children's ministry team is responsible for this idea -- and there's talk that it will be interesting to see how many new babies arrive in, say, OCTOBER?!?!?!   

There will be NO new babies in this house.  It would be a MIRACLE. . .or a malpractice suit!  :)

So, my friends (all 11 of you) I bid you a fond farewell for the week.  This also means that I won't be checking blogs and leaving comments.  (That's going to be harder than not blogging, if I'm honest)  Seriously.  This is gonna suck. . . .but on the other hand, it's gonna be a great experience (I think).

I'm just thankful that neither the Super Bowl nor Daytona 500 are taking place this week.  I'd have to go all rebel on them and sneak out to Hooters to watch.  I'm just saying. . . .

Like I said, I will be checking email during office hours -- but I'm even going to try and limit that to once or twice a day.  So, if you are desperate to talk to me, you can send me an email.  That address is:  shccangie(at)gmail(dot)com

Smooches until next Saturday!!
Photobucket

16 Comments:

Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

woo, i would raise some ruckus if cameras were outlawed! gotta capture the family moments we're supposed to be having together (at least the G rated ones!)

so is the baby afghan you're making me just a hint, or do you know something i don't know? ;-) i would be surprised, but i betcha my hubby would be in total shock. (just kidding, i'm 99% positive that i'm not the laura you mentioned!)

11:12 PM  
Blogger Q, La, and Gooner said...

If you ever do that again, I'm signing off reading this, forever. J K! I will totally act surprised...cause I was when I read this... and I'm excited!

11:14 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

quitter...

11:20 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

There might be a baby boom at your church...I'm just say'n

11:22 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Looks like we're going to have to fill in as guest bloggers for the week.

I'll try to take Monday.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

What a neat idea but I would be going through withdrawal at about hour one.
We have no school on Monday as well.
I have been making blocks and I can see why people quilt...it's addicting like the rest of the stuff I do...knitting, knitting, knitting...

9:26 AM  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

Kudos to you...I couldn't do it.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OY! I'd be tapping my veins for a fix after the first five minutes!

11:03 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i guess i will jsut ahve to call you :)

2:21 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

OMGYOUSCAREDME.

Our office did a media campaign to ''Turn off the screens''. No computer or TV etc. That was last year, and no, I didn't participate!

It sounds like you have a great little loophole already at work. I'm thinking someone should go in and change your yahoo password so you'll truly be unplugged! LOL

Looking forward to your return to Internetland!

Hugs,

Melly :)

10:54 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Oh, hey, I just read Steve's idea...good one! I'll take Tuesday! :) :) :)

10:55 PM  
Blogger Boriqua said...

First, I really enjoyed meeting you at the KSO event the other night. :)

And second, best of luck with your unplugged time. I've been hoping to try that myself sometime, but just can't seem to get up the nerve to pull the plug.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Hi, all. This is Angie, channeling through my BIL Steve. That's right - as long as I don't touch a computer, I can do all the blog postings I want!

Today was a good day, but this no-electronics stuff is hard. Really hard. Like I.Am.So.Frustrated hard.

I did real well at resisting the temptation to check email and update Facebook - I mean literally DOZENS of times! But then I got out of bed and it got a lot harder.

So I made it through the waking-up time of the morning, made breakfast for the little monsters (and both big ones, too). I left the kids with Mark (they're off school because it's Martin Luther King day, he's off work because he sprained a finger typing his symphony review backwards. HA!) and went in to work.

With no electronics in the office, it was a lot colder than normal - computers give off a surprising amount of heat! Unfortunately, we couldn't change the temperature, because the thermostat is one of those new-fangled electronic ones, and I can't touch electronics. I never thought I'd miss those old analog round thermostats, but after a cold morning like this one, I'll take two sticks rubbed together!!!!

At lunch today I ran out to grab a monster-size diet Pepsi and a piece of lettuce, when I ran into Mark and the kids coming out of Starbucks. Edison was still drinking one of his favorite Frozen Frappucino fruu-fruu drinks - how DOES that child manage to stay warm when he's drinking iced coffee? He's no relative of mine. I'm tellin' ya . . .

The afternoon was pretty much the same - we chopped up my boss's pulpit and burned it in an effort to stay warm. But it was okay - we used an analog axe, not an electronic one. My boss was totally OK with this, but we had to stop him before he started chopping up the pews to get a bigger fire going. This no-electronics thing goes on all week - we have to pace ourselves.

Tonight's the night my favorite show is on. And they don't even let us record it to watch time-shifted a week later. Not fair! I hope that reruns come around real soon.

I contented myself with some knitting. Without realizing what I was making, it came out as a computer, complete with keyboard and mouse. Now if that's not addicted, I don't know what is. But so far, I've stayed away from all electronics, and I'm very proud of myself. Mark is doing well at it, Edison is sulking ("But mom, Guitar Hero is a skill, not a game!"), and Caroline is just beaming from the extra attention being paid to her.

Pictures later - the camera is an electronic thing, and I'm staying away.

Steve, you can have your fingers back. Thanks for letting me borrow them. Melly - get ready. I may have you read some Facebook to me.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I'm going to laugh all day. Thanks, Steve!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Sylvie said...

I miss Angie!!!!!!!!!!!

Facebook is just not as fun w/out you, my friend!!

I KNOW I couldn't survive a week with no electronics... so kudos to you!!!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Okay, I have it figured out. In the guise of "no electronics for a week", Angie and Mark are really a critical part of the Obama transition team. Mark is doing all the elctronics and trying to get a handle on that whole pesky birth certificate/genealogy thing for the new pres, and Angie is in charge of all the White House decorations. "Michelle, you want a quilt how big????? And Barack, buddy, I'm smiling on the outside, but get your hand off that 'Simplify' sculpture, and I'm not telling you twice."

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home