This is My "Real" Blog: Progress!


Angie's Blog!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Progress!

Let's see. . . . yesterday was one of those days where I was very pleased at the progress I made on some of my continual projects.

As some of you may have noticed, I managed to blog
I got quite a bit of work done (including a planning meeting)
I drank eight (8) glasses of water, if not more
. . .and therefore made multiple trips to the restroom. (ahem)
I read a 53 pages in a book. . . and adult book. (No, not *that* kind of book!)
I finished the afghan I was crocheting
I watched the two new episodes of "Scrubs" on ABC (I cried during the 2nd episode)**
I got 4 or 5 blocks on this quilt hand-quilted



So, all in all, it was a good productive day. I would have liked to have gotten more done, but I'm thankful with what I accomplished.

Today? Not as productive.

I worked -- only a half-day because Caroline didn't have school. We've had torrential rains, and many roads were flooded in the county.
I shopped -- grocery shopping. Funny part is that we're under a winter weather advisory, so you cannot get bread, milk, or canned chili. (You can -- but the shelves were picked nearly clean!)

On my grocery quest, I actually used coupons I downloaded from the internet -- AND those coupons were for items that fall into my diet plan (Fiber One bars and Low-fat yogurt). So, that was good.

Then, I came home and made Paula Deen's Parmesan Chicken Sticks. They are good, y'all. And, for my chicken, I dipped them in fat-free italian dressing, rather than the melted butter of the other ones.

All in all, a good day. A cold day. But, a good day.

**Why did Scrubs make me cry? There was a story line on there about a man who was dying...alone. He had no family. His wife had died before him. They had no children. Turk & J.D., the main characters traded their favorite night together, "Steak Night" to sit with this man as he died. They answered his questions, asked him questions, and made sure that his last thought was a "good one" before he died.

I have had to come face-to-face with death in the past six weeks in a way that I never anticipated. In the past six weeks, I have learned about the death of four college friends (or acquaintances) that were all either my age, or younger. The most recent was a girl that attended Milligan during my senior year -- and then after I left. She was a beautiful, sweet, "sparkly" person that just made you glad to know her. She died very suddenly -- from a form a leukemia -- and leaves behind two precious kids (ages 16 and 14).

This hit me close to my heart. And, as I watched "Scrubs" last night, I wondered if DeeAnn had a good thought go through her mind before she died. I wondered if she knew that she was going to die -- or did this shock her as much as it has us. I have no doubt that she is with Jesus, even as I type these words I know she's sitting at the feet of the Savior. I have no doubt that Heaven is a better place -- because she's there.

But, last night, as I watched them depict someone face their final moments on earth, I couldn't help but think about my own mortality, and leaving my family and friends behind. None of us wants to think about it. Some of us don't get a chance to think about it when we should. And that, probably more than anything, is what made me cry during a sit-com last night.







. . .I just thought you might like to know why.
Photobucket

9 Comments:

Blogger Hilah said...

My last course at school was on human development and we spent probably about 50% of the class on death. We read "Death and Dying" by Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, visited Berry's funeral home, and did assignments designed to make us think about our own mortality and the mortality of those we love. The first 2 or 3 days of class were almost entirely focused on these themes. Even though we await such a glorious future, it was a somber few days. I thought about it a lot as I went through my days and the first 2 or 3 nights when I laid down in bed, I cried, thinking about the same types of things you described in the Scrubs episode (though I haven't seen it yet!). We really don't know when could be our last day or the last day of someone we love. Thanks for sharing.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

Sorry for your losses.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Goose bumps. I'm thinking along the same lines today. I just can't even imagine.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Mellykat said...

Winter weather watch?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Your friend DeeAnn? WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Reminds me of my friend Kendra. Hers was acute myeloid leukemia. Like my dear friend Angie says, ''Cancer is a douchebag.'' It is, really, it is. I'm sure your friend was blessed with good thoughts on her way to heaven.

Hugs to you!

Melly :)

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for your accomplishments....

7:45 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i am with melany, winter weather watch????? which book are you reading? and my thoughts as i was reading what you wrote about Scrubs... lets really make this our year so we can watch something together and lets make it happen because while i know we have eternity where it will be a long hello (to paraphrase billy sprague) i really want to see you, i really want to hug the little princess, I want to connect to all of you...

8:10 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

and i might have to scrap that photo again because i love it so much

8:13 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

That picture is awesome. You were a busy girl the other day and please share that recipe anything Paula Deen is great.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

yeah, scrubs wasn't quite as "funny-packed" as usual...but it definitely was a good one! they're usually good about making you think a little...but tuesday night went above and beyond. i'm just glad that ABC didn't hack the show to bits and make everything way different...so far!

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home