This is My "Real" Blog: Legitimate Baking


Angie's Blog!

Friday, January 09, 2009

Legitimate Baking

. . . as opposed to "illegitimate" baking? You'll have to read this one all the way through.

Last week, an interesting phenomenon took place on Facebook. (Please don't glaze over on this one) One of my oldest and dearest friends, Dave Ferguson, who is becoming known the world over for church planting, took Starbucks coffee into the local Kinko's that does some of their printing for them. The employees' reaction to his gift, and his sharing about it, started this phenomenon on Facebook called the "365 Club." Here's its description (directly from Facebook):

WELCOME!! Glad you're here.

This group is simple. It's a gathering place for all those who commit to doing 365 acts of random kindness throughout 2009.

Giving at Christmas is a good thing. It's also expected. What we need are people who make giving a part of their life... a part of their normal journey. Are you up for the challenge?

If so, join "365 Club". Keep us informed on how it goes. Put your experiences on the wall. Video your kindness. Let's see how many acts of kindness can change the world in 2009!

"Small things done with great love can change the world!"

BTW...this group began December31, 2008, after Dave Ferguson wrote on his FB status about giving Starbucks to the crew at Kinko's and said, "...you'd think they won the lottery! A little generosity goes a long way!" Out of that act of kindness of Dave, a group was formed to make giving a lifestyle all year long -- not just at Christmas.

Commit to your own personal, conscious 365 acts of kindness in 2009. Join this group! Enjoy the ride!

What impresses me the most is that the person who really encouraged this to start is another friend of mine from High School. She was one of the quietest people I've ever met -- and she's right here --helping start a phenomenon.

So, I joined the group. (I join a lot of groups on FB) But this group has a coordinator who is tough, man. I mean. . .he sends out messages on a daily basis reminding people to do their acts -- and be an active group on Facebook.

The cool part is? They've gotten so much attention, Dave has been interviewed on K-Love, and a couple other radio stations. As of today, there are enough group members (over 2,500) that if everyone does their act of kindness every day, there will be 1,000,000 acts of kindness done and given in 2009. That's pretty cool -- and I'm a part of it.

So what have I done? A couple of my acts of kindness have been more subtle -- you can read into that my forgetfulness. Some others have been more overt. And, they can be for family members, random strangers, acquaintances, friends. . . there is NO limit.

Today's was fun. . .and I was able to see the reaction. And it was COOL.

I baked bread today. My honey whole-wheat bread is really good. It's also something that I love to make. My recipe makes two (2) loaves, so I realized that this could be a "365 Club" project. And, sure enough, I was able to get my loaves done before Caroline's bus got here this afternoon.

When Mr. John pulled up in the driveway, I walked out to meet Caroline, and handed him a bag of freshly-baked bread (like just out of the oven 15 minutes) and a jar of apple butter. The delight on his face -- and the smile and thank-yous are still ringing in my head. It was FUN to do that. And, I think it will be even MORE fun to do things anonymously -- and just watch people get surprised.

So, there's today's 365 blessing. I've already got tomorrow's figured out -- although it may be delivered today. (hee hee)

If you're interested in getting involved, look for us under groups on Facebook. I am going to try and be as "biblical" as possible and not always announce my good deeds on a regular basis. But today, I thought the story might inspire you. I thought it would also keep some of you from getting on my case for baking bread when I'm trying to eat healthier.

The case can be made, however, for this bread in that it's healthier than store-bought bread. But then again. . . I know myself. Bread is a MAJOR downfall. So, maybe my goal this year should be anytime I bake, we keep one loaf, and give the other away.....?

Not a bad idea, eh?!
Photobucket

3 Comments:

Blogger 20Birds said...

hmmm bread and apple butter... i joined and unjoined... it seemed liek something i would never pull off. but i am trying to do it nonetheless

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Inspired I am, miss Angie. I have been loving for a way to live outloud this year -part of life challenges 2009 for this girl. I will ruminate and see if joining is the right thing, or taking the inspriation and running :-)

Great post!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Doug said...

well since I joined, I'm 3 days behind, but I did no harm, but I did 2 acts of stupidity, are we keeping score?

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home