This is My "Real" Blog: Things that make you go hmmmmmmm


Angie's Blog!

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm

You've heard me talk about these things before, and I promise you are going to hear me talk about them again. What things? Well, let's see. . .

1) Facebook
2) Healthy Lifestyle choices
3) 365 Club

I'm sure there are other things (my kids, Mark, Aurelio's Pizza, Buddy Walk. . .) but we don't need to cover everything today. By the way, if I haven't mentioned it -- Aurelio's Pizza is the best on the planet!!

Today, we're going to talk about the blessings of Facebook. And yes, I know it's not for everyone. But, I want you to consider a few things today as I ruminate on the virtues of a social networking community.

Since joining Facebook in. . .? I can't even remember when I joined. Since joining Facebook, I have reunited (virtually) with over 40 friends from high school and college. I am daily talking to people that I haven't talked to in nearly 30 years. (That hurts just typing it!)

I have thought about these people, and have wondered how life has treated them. Now? 20+ years later? I know how life is treating them. I hear them talk about it first-hand. And that, my friends. . .is cool beyond words.

A couple of my scrapbooking/blogging friends are also FB friends. (Talk about my world getting smaller) One of them, Stephanie (That Chick) has some really awesome things happening in her life. She has written a book. Her book is now available at Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble for advance orders. That's too cool.

My friend Michelle (High School & Facebook) has helped to launch this "365 Club" group on Facebook. There are now over 5,000 people in the group. By year's end, over two million acts of kindness potentially will be done. This is blowing my mind. And, even if you're not on Facebook, I encouage you (again) to think of ways that you can perform random acts of kindness for people, even strangers, each day of 2009.

The world has got to be a better place because of this. It just does. . . .

Today, while "dorking around" on Facebook, I wrote a note to an old friend, Ann. She had been leaving cryptic status updates and notes all over FB about needing her virtual boxing gloves, dealing with a radiologist, and being in the fight of her life.

I had heard, through the grapevine, that she had battled cancer a few years back. But, I didn't hear it from her. In response to my note about how I could help her (prayer support) she told me that in 2004, she was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer that had spread to her liver. she immediately went into "fight mode" and kicked its butt (she didn't say butt). Fast-forward to 2008-09. . . .she went on to say that because of a freakishly large snowfall in Chicago, and a back injury from shoveling the snow, an MRI had revealed that the cancer has now spread to her spine.

She is officially back in fight mode. She gave me a pair of virtual boxing gloves (see picture) for me to help her virtually fight her cancer. I accepted them, tearfully, and told her that I would pray for her. I told her that I would pray for strength, courage, and zeal.

I shared with her how I firmly believe that God is big enough to tackle ANYTHING. I shared my story from this time last year -- when we were anxiously awaiting test results from my own biopsy. And, I told her that I was going to ask my friends to pray for her, as well. And for anyone battling cancer in any form.

These are the virtual boxing gloves she sent to me. . .isn't the internet amazing? I am sharing them with you. If you are willing, take these virtual gloves, tie them on as you pray, (post them on your blog?) and join me in praying that God would miraculously kick cancer's butt one more time. (I did say "butt" this time!)

I am fighting today on behalf of Ann. I am celebrating the heavenly reward that Aunt Shirley received in September when cancer "won" the earthly round. I am celebrating a TKO on behalf of my mom, and my friend, Karson. . . and all the other lives that have been touched (devastated) by this dread disease. But more than that, I am celebrating the TKO that took place 2,000 years ago - -when death itself saw defeat up close and personal.

"Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses" (1 Timothy 6:12 - ESV)

And this one from 1 Corinthians 15. (I really like this one!)

"In the resurrection scheme of things, this has to happen: everything perishable taken off the shelves and replaced by the imperishable, this mortal replaced by the immortal. Then the saying will come true:

Death swallowed by triumphant Life!
Who got the last word, oh, Death?
Oh, Death, who's afraid of you now?

It was sin that made death so frightening and law-code guilt that gave sin its leverage, its destructive power. But now in a single victorious stroke of Life, all three—sin, guilt, death—are gone, the gift of our Master, Jesus Christ. Thank God!" (The Message translation)

You see that? We win!!
That's enough to make you go hmmmm, right?
Photobucket

5 Comments:

Blogger Yummers! said...

That was one FANTASTIC post, Angie!! Applause to you!!

My daughters love Facebook and are hoping I won't go on it. They feel as though it's their blog and that it's only 4 people their age. I know that's not true but I'll let it ride for awhile. They didn't like my blog in the beginning and now they're proud of it. Your kids are too young to have those feelings but as they grow...
who knows? Strange notions in their heada.
I will pray for your friend!
Joni

4:07 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

More than "hmmmmm" - I'll say YAY, GOD!!!!!

And prayers for Ann. As you say, God is bigger than any disease - even bigger than death.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Jeannette said...

Hey Sweet Thang! You've been tagged! Here's your assignment, should you choose to accept it....

1 - Link back to the blog that tagged you
2 - Make a list of 6 (un)interesting things about yourself
3 - Tag five other blogs, and let them know by leaving them a comment

Have a great day! Love, Jeannette

7:48 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

i am praying and battling with you also my friend for your friend.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I'm saying prayers for your friend Angie. I'm in the same boat as Joni...my daughters say if I joined that they would NOT add me as their friend...I tease them all the time that I am going to join and add them. One actually went on face book to check (lol). I did join but haven't been on enough to figure it out.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home