This is My "Real" Blog: All under one roof. . . .


Angie's Blog!

Friday, July 31, 2009

All under one roof. . . .

. . .and that's the way (uh-huh uh-huh) I like it (uh-huh uh-huh). Sorry, bad 70s disco reference there.

We're all back under one roof. Both kids are in their rooms -- one is asleep, the other is going to be asleep soon, I predict. The sewing machine has been disassembled and put out of Edison's room. . . the ironing board is hanging back in the laundry room. And, they will remain in those "normal" places for the time being.

I really did enjoy the chance to hang out in Edison's room and sew while he was gone. I keep saying that I'll be turning his room into a spare room/sewing room when he goes away to college. But, I gotta be honest -- it was harder than I imagined -- thinking about him not being home in a few years.

I remember a letter my dad once gave me. I was a little older than Edison is now. I'd gone away for a weekend trip to a college in Illinois with my youth minister and a few other kids from the youth group. We spent the night (maybe two) in the college dorms, and got a taste for what "campus life" would be like.

I mentioned in a previous post about some "troublesome" years. . . this was in the midst of those years. I believe my friend and I even snuck cigarettes with us on this trip -- and for some bizarre reason, probably believed that no one knew we were smoking in the bathrooms, as we drove to and from Lincoln, IL. (I sometimes marvel at my stupidity in my teenage years)

When I got home, there was a letter from my dad, he had written it out by hand -- and there are two things about that letter. . . 1) I still have it, and 2) I'll never forget it.

In fact, I think about it every day when Caroline greets Mark at the back door. You see, my dad talked about the passage of time -- and how it seemed like he blinked and time had flown by from times when I would greet him at the door (at the age of 4) and suddenly, I was away on college visits. . .preparing to leave home.

Granted, at the time, we had no idea that we would go to college together, and eventually work together at the same church. But, for him -- watching time fly by at the speed of light -- well, that was something he was struggling with. And, I find myself struggling with the same thing.

In four years, I will have a high school graduate.
In four years, instead of thinking about buying notebooks, pencils, and highlighters -- I'll be shopping for luggage, sheets, pillows, and a mini-fridge.

Tonight on Facebook, a friend reminded me that a few years ago, I began praying for the rapture to happen before Edison became a teenager. It obviously hasn't happened--we're still here. But, that doesn't mean that I don't want it to happen before he begins driving. . . or dating. . . or choosing his college/career.

I am really trying to enjoy the now. I think one of the downsides of scrapbooking is that so much time is spent looking back at what happened years, months, even decades ago. It's very easy to get caught up looking back--and it's just as easy to get caught up looking ahead at schedules, calendars, and planners.

. . .and then blink another week, month, or year has flown by.

Holy cow -- this started out to be such an upbeat blog entry. My kids are home -- all is right with the world, and suddenly there's a mish-mash of "Sunrise, Sunset" and "Cats in the Cradle" playing on my mind's jukebox.

It's time for some Michael.
It's time for some Michael.
It's time for some Michael.



Or, if you'd prefer. . .here's a little bit o'Boz. . . .



. . if that's not enough, I'm not sure what to tell you.
Photobucket

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup. Time flies at the speed of light. I remember just meeting my stepdaughters as young teens, now the youngest is going to graduate college and make her place in this world.

While for me it's only been slightly less than a decade, it feels like just yesterday.

And we won't talk about how much my nieces have grown and how time flew for them...I can sum it up in one word, OY!

Angie, it's a universal thing... Know we all are with you feeling the same darn thing...

It's scary, isn't it?

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Judy said...

Don't turn that room into a sewing room too quick after he's gone.

When our first one went off to college he wasn't even out of the state yet and we live 3 miles from the state line...and someone else was moving into his room.

For us anyway it was not a good thing to do....Something about not feeling like he had a home anymore. By the time he came home again he had his room back.

8:24 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

I AM shopping for all those things now. We arrived in Canada right before Katherine started high school and so her high school grad hit me like a ton of bricks in more ways than just this precious and good friend moving to another state. and I am in agreement about the sewing room. KB keeps telling me all the things she wants the same when she comes home.

8:39 AM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

I am back.... more comments.... Tony is playing worship music on guitar and singing "Blessed be your Name" so I cannot listen to your vids... later.... but was thinking Jesus will be with us even when rooms empty... thank GOD!
and I was also over at Christy's blog and saw the blanket you made... left a comment over there about wanting a blanket too...
and I wish I could spell phonetically sounds or songs... like you do, a whole new dimension to my blogging for me ... *sighs*

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home