This is My "Real" Blog: Of Tacos. . . and Dolphins - edited


Angie's Blog!

Friday, October 23, 2009

Of Tacos. . . and Dolphins - edited

Last night, while eating her dinner, Caroline announced:

"Mommy? I like tacos. . . .and dolphins!" Clearly, there is no correct response to such a declaration. (laughing doesn't count)

We are enjoying a day at home -- together. She has a 1-day "Fall Break" this weekend. Edison is probably on his way to Nashville, as I type, for his final football game of the season. We're all ready for football to be a thing of the past.

Tomorrow holds a Fall Harvest Party for the Down syndrome group. I am scrambling (literally) go come up with a costume for Caroline. I may have nailed down a ballerina costume from all of her "stuff" but I have to check on some slippers/toe shoes. (Hello? Target?!?!)

I'm not a huge fan of Halloween. I endure it - mainly for the mini Baby Ruth bars. I'm not one of those dedicated Moms who goes out and buys foam, fabric, stuffing, and 17 pounds of glitter for costumes. It's probably hereditary. My mom settled for the "Cinderella" costumes with the acetate/nylon dresses and the "make sure the eyeholes are lined up" masks that got all moist and sweaty inside while you trick-or-treated.

Edison has been a baseball player, Batman, and other various costumes. I think I purchased the Batman costume--and swore I'd never do that again.

Caroline has been Cinderella (purchased -- what can I say? I had a girl) She has also been a pumpkin and a UT cheerleader. (The last was my personal favorite)

Like I said, I'm going for the easiest (cheapest) costume I can find this year -- and the one hitch? It's supposed to be a storybook character for her school costume day next Friday. So, we may have to find a ballerina book to justify her costume. (Yeah, like that's gonna happen)

Otherwise today. . . let's see. I've got a pork roast in the oven, with two loaves of pumpkin bread. My house smells HEAVENLY right now. After the bread is finished, I'll put in a potato casserole. We're making dinner for a friend who broke her arm last week. Not sure what we are having for dinner, but the McRary's should be eating well tonight (if I can say so myself!)

Tonight, I'm going to revel in a night at home. No meetings. No games. No kids (after 8 p.m.). I have a few projects I'm trying to finish up -- so I hope to get them "launched" and completed tonight.

After our party tomorrow, I hope to do a little more relaxing and crafting. Who knows? I might even get back into that scrapbooking room, and try to pick up where I left off four months ago.

Then, on Sunday. . . . oh man, Sunday! I am so excited. My alma mater is having Homecoming this weekend. It's not one of my "monumental" years (20, 25, 30. . .shudder!) so, I'm not going over for the festivities. It's my Dad's 20th reunion -- so he and Mom are going over on Saturday. But, on Sunday afternoon, one of my favorite people from my college years - seriously - is coming for a visit on his way back to Illinois. I haven't seen Doug in over 20 years, so we have tons to catch up on. (However, Facebook has helped us make up for a lot of lost time) He's excited to meet Edison & Caroline (and Mark, of course) and I'm just looking forward to laughing and catching up with someone I love so much.

So, we're looking at quite the weekend. I can't wait -- but what scares me is that it will be over in a flash! Here's hoping it slows down long enough to enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells.

. . .and, of course, the dolphins & tacos!


Edited to add: Melinda reminded me about Angelina Ballerina. After checking the "inventory" in Caroline's dresser/closet -- we are going with ballerina! :)
Photobucket

12 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

Angelina Ballerina is a book about a ballerina. It should be pretty easy to find. :)
http://www.amazon.com/Angelina-Ballerina-Helen-Craig/dp/1584856556

1:16 PM  
Blogger Nana said...

Do her slippers from Natalie's wedding still fit?

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the camper rally, we're coming to your place for dinner!!!!!

4:00 PM  
Blogger Shelly Wildman said...

First of all, check Payless for the ballerina slippers--they had a TON of them when I was in there last.

And second, I LOVE MINI BABY RUTH'S TOO!!! I get them every year for Halloween, mainly because I like them. I know I should get something I don't like, but I don't know, I guess it's just a little treat for myself for putting up with all the Halloween hassle. (Writing about that RIGHT NOW!)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Rock 'n Roll Momma© said...

i'm another mom who inherited not getting that into halloween from my own mom. my "bugs bunny" costume when i was a kid consisted of white pantyhose, socks, shoes, shorts, and polo. i had construction paper ears taped to my white headband and a construction paper carrot pinned to my top. i recall feeling very non-bugs-bunny-ish in that get-up. but i did have a good angel costume with garland wrapped wings one year. my brother was a Bible. we handed out treats with little Bible verses attached. my mom cracks me up!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I was thinking Angelina Ballerina while reading your post and then saw the edited information. All she'd need is a little set of mouse ears on her head and a yarn tail. Oh yeah a pink bow...Angelina has one of those. Walla!! Is that even a word? I hope she has a wonderful time at the Fall Harvest Party, and you enjoy your visit with your college friend. See you Sunday morning.

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Judy @ daily yarns said...

I was going to tell you about Angelina Ballerina but I'm too late. The granddaughters love it when I read those books to them. I can't wait to see pictures. I never was a fan of Halloween...and I wasn't one of those moms who went all out on the costumes. The kids dressed in what ever they could find in the dress up box.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

I'm back... reading other's blogs and posting on my blog! Come visit, Angie!!

I love your writing... you are so talented!! I love your 'telling' of the Halloween costumes!! I think your costume and book choice is adorable... she'll look sooooo sweet!!

We've eaten two... yes 2... bags of our Halloween candy already!
Hugs...
Joni

2:20 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

wow this post has generated alot of words in comments... not much for me left to say... except hannah loves dolphins and tacos also... and mary's middle name is angelina so we had lots of the angelina books in our house always... and i want my house to smell heavenly... right now we have a faint eau de puke going on.... and did i mention you are the best for coming thru so quickly the other day?

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just wondering how to make some dolphin tacos, and what they'd taste like. And would Little Miss C still like both together?

Steve

10:53 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

photos angie, the day is done and it has been nearly 18 hours hence... photos please *typed sweetly and patiently*

8:17 AM  
Blogger Yummers! said...

I like Tacos and Dolphins too!! But I think I read this before!! But just letting you know I'm keeping up!! Check out the class on my blog!!

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home