This is My "Real" Blog: Change is . . .


Angie's Blog!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Change is . . .

difficult
painful
exhilarating
emotionally draining

. . .and it's happening around here.

Last night, at the conclusion of youth group, our youth minister announced that he is going to a new ministry in Virginia. Most of the kids were surprised -- but oddly, none of them showed their raw emotions while still at church.

Once they got home? Sounds like a different story altogether. And yes, that includes my house.

Indeed, things are quiet and "sulkish" if that's a word. Sullen is another one that comes to mind. Edison is taking this one on the chin -- he was, and is very close to Tim. And, he's not the only one.

I've worked with Tim for nearly four years. I've gotten used to him sneaking in my office -- throwing things at me -- wrestling with colleagues (not me, of course) -- and making me laugh just before it's time to pray. And those, my friends, are the things I'm going to miss.

Being in ministry means saying "goodbye," and that's one part of ministry that I despise. But, God leads -- God calls -- and God provides. He already has in mind the person that will come and take Tim's place. My prayer is that whoever this "someone" is. . . .he'll love on our kids that are so desperately hurting right now.

Other than that. . . we are experiencing good changes. The weather is finally starting to change. Leaves still retain their "greenish hue" but the days of gold, orange, brilliant red, and brown are coming. Which also means -- our leaf blower will come out of seclusion very soon. (sigh)

This past Monday, we went to parent/teacher conferences for Caroline -- two, because of her inclusion class & her special education (contained) classroom. They both went EXTREMELY well. She's doing great -- spending nearly 10 hours each week in regular Kindergarten. We've asked for that to increase, and I hope that it will -- very soon.

But, according to both teachers, she is adapting very well to the school environment. She had one day -- a couple weeks ago -- where she had croup, and we kept her home (I think). She managed to get beyond that, and has just flourished at school.

She loves Thursdays -- that's Pizza day!

She loves when the Home Depot people come to her class (once a month) and help them build projects. Yesterday, it was a bank.

She loves when the "Habit" Dog comes for a visit. This is ironic - because she's afraid of dogs, usually. I was told that it was a very "mature" golden retriever -- in fact, Caroline's teacher said that the dog sleeps nearly the entire time she's with the class. So, she's obviously not a threat to Caroline. But, she loves when the dog comes for a visit.

Bottom line: Baby Girl loves school. And, from what they told us -- school loves her right back.

Last thoughts -- change really is all around us. On Saturday, my cousin will marry a really nice guy. Edison is one of the groomsmen/ushers -- so yes, there will be some smokin' tuxedo pictures come Sunday or Monday.

I'm going to end today with a quote from the enlightened philosopher, Ferris Bueller:

"Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you might miss it."



Photobucket

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Change is inevitable it seems. I was shocked when Adam called to tell me the news last night after he got the okay to let CM leadership team know. Tim and Katie will certainly be missed.

As for Caroline's conferences. Awesome!! She is growing up so fast. I love seeing the changes she is making on Sunday mornings since going to Kindergarten.

I love the quote from Ferris Bueller. It really is true.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Jennilu said...

Angie, I know what you are going through at church. SUMC suffered a similar loss when Jason Roe left our congregation. He had a calling and had to follow it. Though we understoon, we were sad to see him leave the family. Sadly, I never felt that the church never regained the same energy. Of course, Jason is still in Seymour and he and his family still participate in several church functions which is nice. I must say, though, I still miss seeing him jump up on a chair in front of the congregation and yell, "GOOD MORNING CHURCH!" On those days, I knew why I had chosen this place as my church!

9:37 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

Hooray for pizza day! I wrote recently on my blog, change is not my forte.... nope not at all, but that doesnt seem to matter change keeps happening... i am looking forward ot heaven... to see everyone again...

9:25 AM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Yes, Angie, you are one of my bread heros. But I couldn't find a recipe on your site, short of going through every post. Maybe a search tool?? I tried doing the one from blogger that's at the top of the screen, but it didn't help much. Send me your favorite sandwich bread recipe. I was trying to do a honey oatmeal bread.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home