This is My "Real" Blog: First Day -- VICTORY!!!


Angie's Blog!

Monday, August 17, 2009

First Day -- VICTORY!!!

Yep -- we somehow managed to make it through the first day of school with only one (1) phone call. And, that was placed by me. . . AFTER school. So, I want to call it successful.

What was the reason for the one call? Well. . .when she got home, I realized that her lunchbox was VERY heavy. I figured that either:

1) She stole something from the classroom (or, "borrowed" it!)
2) She didn't eat her lunch.

Unfortunately, the 2nd was the case -- or fortunately, I suppose. I called the teacher to find out what was the deal. Normally, she might not eat her sandwich -- but her fruit gummies and Capri Suns always get consumed. Not today.

The reason? The new assistants in her room put her lunchbox in her cubbie -- rather than by the fridge. When it was time to go to the cafeteria for lunch, no one saw her lunchbox, and she ended up getting a hamburger, french fries, fruit, and chocolate milk for lunch. SCORE!

So, we owe the cafeteria $1.65. And, my daughter *did* eat.

I explained to her teacher that if she ever gets kind of overwhelmed by the crowd scene, she might not eat. I was convinced that might have been the case -- imagine my relief when I learned that she ate "big kid" food from the cafeteria!

Her teacher and I talked a bit further -- and her only observation was that besides Caroline having a good day -- she got a little overwhelmed by all the kids. . . and there were NO kindergartners there today. They start coming in tomorrow. So, the population is going to grow by nearly 120 kids over the next week. YIKES!

But, her teacher assured me that she was doing well -- and seemed to adapt pretty nicely today. Caroline's mainstreaming activities will be limited to one (1) hour per day that she goes into the regular class -- initially. I actually think that will be good, because she's going to need time to adapt to this completely new -- overwhelming environment.

But, she's gonna do it. . . and it's gonna be good.

So that's the update for now. Here are a few pictures from today. They're not the best we've ever taken. . .but we got 'em. Enjoy!!

Eating a healthy breakfast before the bus comes. What is healthy? Lucky Charms & bananas with milk -- and juice to drink, of course. And yes, she *does* look sleepy. It's 7 a.m., people!!

I had to take Edison to school -- so I didn't get to see her get on the bus. Mark took this picture as the bus pulled up to the driveway.

I did manage, however, to capture the image of her getting off the bus this afternoon. She was, as you can imagine, all smiles. And her first words, after the bus pulled away? "Hey, where's my bus going?"

I think she likes it.

Once in the house, she greeted Mimi, her baby doll, with a hug, kiss, and an update of her day. She told Mimi about coloring, playing outside, eating lunch, and playing with toys. I think Mimi was relieved that she had a good day.

Caroline decided to take her "school clothes" off, and change into relaxing clothes. No, they don't match. But, I have to give her points for being brave enough to wear the Buddy Walk logo with stripes. I think it works for her.

Mimi thinks so, too.

After dinner tonight, we began the routine of baths, hair drying, songs, and bedtime stories. She happily went off to bed -- and is ready for tomorrow. I think Mimi is ready too.

And that, my friends, puts my mind so much at ease!
Photobucket

6 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

I think you're fixating too much on Mimi. I mean, c'mon, she's a big doll now . . .

Big-time congrats.

10:20 PM  
Blogger 20Birds said...

hannah and i are reading this at 1:25 AM and we are both super proud of both Caroline and Angie... and Hannah informed me that she beat you by many points... she holds her hands about a foot apart to demonstrate her lead. (actually hannah told me she read the post much earlier all on her own: I was napping and woke to get my still vacationing girl to bed...)

1:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

tell caroline that i am soooooooooooo proud of her x5000! and so impressed that she scored that awesome lunch...

2:28 AM  
Anonymous Judy said...

I just love it when that first day turns out super. She's growing up Angie.

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p, yesterday was a good day... I'm so glad...

Hugs, Mom!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i am glad caroline had a good day! my youngest, who has special needs also( don't we all) just graduated from high school in June. we had many many good years, a few bad days but mostly good ones. i think caroline will do amazingly especially with a great family!

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home